Page 3 of 6 First 123456 Last

Style
    Koryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golddust420 View Post
    The western idea of what a martial art is, is farther from not even knowing what that term means. As a professional myself I would never dare to share my opinion unless instructed. A subject that for me is extremely personal and deserves great respect. My experience has shown me the difference. Martial arts has nothing to do with sports or competition. I see it constantly. Be it, I have never competed or been in a match. How I would do, I always wonder. And there is an attraction there. However the idea of fighting in itself is a mistake.

Martial arts to me is unity
    Troll 3/10

Now if you'd rewrite your OP and replace 'martial art' with 'aikido' then you'd be almost right

Almost

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golddust420 View Post
    The western idea of what a martial art is, is farther from not even knowing what that term means. As a professional myself I would never dare to share my opinion unless instructed. A subject that for me is extremely personal and deserves great respect. My experience has shown me the difference. Martial arts has nothing to do with sports or competition. I see it constantly. Be it, I have never competed or been in a match. How I would do, I always wonder. And there is an attraction there. However the idea of fighting in itself is a mistake.

Martial arts to me is unity
    Brilliant follow through to your earlier posts.

Keep up the good work !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    My ribs will probably be unified again in 2-6 weeks, thank you very little.
    Which is why I avoid anyone over say, 14 years old when I go to regional/provincial training camps, when it comes time to randori...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Koryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Miyamoto Musahi was great...how do we know? Musahi told us so in the book he wrote...about himself.
    Well, he wrote this booklet for one of his supporters, and IIRC

- he didn't want it to be published at all.
    - Even the manuscript current are based on is a copy of a copy

So to say that those are his ipsissima verba isn't watertight. On the other hand, as he didn't intend it to spread to the public at large and him having reached an advanced age already, the motivation to (even) further embellish his reputation doesn't seem that strong to me

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    To be fair ...... the losers of the duels have not ever come forward to dispute his greatness.
    Well... Duels to the death are typically rather final, and don't really lend themselves to rematches.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Koryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They apparently weren't all to the death

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Well... Duels to the death are typically rather final, and don't really lend themselves to rematches.
    Or complaints from the losers.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    They apparently weren't all to the death
    Nor was it always with a sword
    On April 13, 1612, Musashi (about age 30) fought his duel with Sasaki Kojirō, who was known as "The Demon of the Western Provinces" and who wielded a nodachi the Japanese great sword. Musashi came late and unkempt to the appointed place the island of Funajima, in the Kanmon Straits separating Honshū and Kyūshū. The duel was short. Musashi killed his opponent with a bokken that legend says he had carved from an oar used on the boat that carried him to the island.

Musashi's late arrival is controversial. Sasaki's outraged supporters thought it was dishonorable and disrespectful, while Musashi's supporters thought it was a fair way to unnerve his opponent. Another theory is that Musashi timed the hour of his arrival to match the turning of the tide. The tide carried him to the island. After his victory, Musashi immediately jumped back in his boat and his flight from Sasaki's vengeful allies was helped by the turning of the tide. Another theory states he waited for the sun to get in the right position. After he dodged a blow, Sasaki was blinded by the sun.

Musashi briefly established a fencing school that same year.
    Which is my favorite story... Some accounts say he was: unshaven, completely unkempt, severely hung over and smelled of alcohol, vomit and human waste when he showed up.
    Wikipedia link
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Nor was it always with a sword

Which is my favorite story... Some accounts say he was: unshaven, completely unkempt, severely hung over and smelled of alcohol, vomit and human waste when he showed up.
    Wikipedia link
    The stories I've read about Musashi are all fucking awesome.

I question their factuality with the same attitude of the character Jebediah Nightlinger questions the authenticity of the tales of his ancestry in that old John Wayne movie The Cowboys.

"Is that really true?" "If it isn't, it oughta be."

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Musashi was on the autism spectrum or something.

Page 3 of 6 First 123456 Last