Page 6 of 10 First ... 2345678910 Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    accidental double post.
    Yeah those have been more and more common recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    That is interesting. What are his qualifications to talk about swordsmanship? Admittedly most of what I know I've picked up from my HEMA friends and the History Channel.
    He's a former larper. He claims to have been a historical consultant on some movies. He seems to know about archeology. Idk his actual credentials.

According to his website http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/index.html#topspace

Being a website of meanderings amongst the diverse interests of Lloyd, archaeologist, photographer, explorer, toast farmer, armourer, evolutionary psychologist, oxymath, erumite, gentleman.
    Last edited by Lindz; 9/18/2017 1:13pm at .

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'll be damned he looks 13yrs old.

I thought all Karate masters where 70yrs old.
    King without a crown

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    somehow I seriously doubt that the debate regarding blocking with edge or flat came up very often in the middle of a H2H battle back when folks really fought with swords (and a LOT of other nasty weapons).

I imagine it was more "ohshitfuckdamngottakillthatguyandthaguyandthatguy stickhimwithpointyend" kinda thing.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeDF...fdHb_ftc7huhEY

Here is the perspective of one of the top HEMA instructors that I know of on the subject of edge vs. flat parry.

The short version: First of all, it doesn't matter, second of all, most parrying in real sword work is done with the edge for a variety of reasons.
    The guy who taught me longsword said it was more about the strong vs weak than edge vs flat, and the cross guard should be used when possible, and using the cross guard correctly is more of an edge thing. But on a longsword, the edge near the guard isn't really an edge. I think the longsword and katana are different enough that in skilled hands, they are used pretty differently despite both being 2 handed swords.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    somehow I seriously doubt that the debate regarding blocking with edge or flat came up very often in the middle of a H2H battle back when folks really fought with swords (and a LOT of other nasty weapons).

I imagine it was more "ohshitfuckdamngottakillthatguyandthaguyandthatguy stickhimwithpointyend" kinda thing.
    Lol...
    Yes, that is very much true. :)
    But as you damn well know the reason the arguments in academia are so bitter is because the stakes are so low...
    But seriously, it's a matter of putting on the gear, and going out and trying it. For the overwhelming majority of people, in the overwhelming majority of circumstances, with the overwhelming majority of swords, edge parrying works better at doing what parries are supposed to do, which is keep the other guys sword off of you.
    The reason this is still a debate is the same reason people still debate the merits of wing chun in a fight.... I leave that to those of you more qualified than me.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    The guy who taught me longsword said it was more about the strong vs weak than edge vs flat, and the cross guard should be used when possible, and using the cross guard correctly is more of an edge thing. But on a longsword, the edge near the guard isn't really an edge. I think the longsword and katana are different enough that in skilled hands, they are used pretty differently despite both being 2 handed swords.
    The guy who taught you longsword is correct, or at least shares the same reality as me.
    However, I must disagree with your assertion that they are "used pretty differently". I would say that modern Kendo teaches a VERY different use of the katana, but if you look at the traditional kenjutsu ryu and try to re-create that with sparring and good gear, you get something much closer to the way the longsword was used. There are a number of articles around the internet on this, but I am having trouble producing one that is not SUPER partisan to one weapon at the moment and I am trying to avoid this becoming a "longsword vs katana" thread.

Style
    Koryu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    re: kid video

1) he's doing everything left handed? what the hell? I have seen toooo tooo many boring iaido demo's not to know that it's always done righthanded (I am a lefty)
    2 ) sheathing of the blade completely wrong and fucked up
    2) stance is ridiculous and wrong for any JSA
    The other vids: all bullshit as well. You can already tell by their exaggerated krotty-demo movements. The idiotic way they fold their hakama back. The first kid fucked up the way how to tie the sageo in the obi, as a result, the saya started slipping through his obi.
    All of them: twirling, not cutting.
    And for the love of god: who would do a jumping front kick if he has a sword? WHY? Your reach is longer with the sword anyway?

to OP: if interested in Japanese sword arts, find something that is dedicated to it, and not something that does it to the side like karate.
    if interested in the history of karate: feel free to look into that, but don't waste your time with this tripe.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    It works in the same way in sport fencing, although of course a foil and a longsword are very different weapons. But then a katana doesn't really have a crossguard.

Style
    Koryu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh and regarding edge on edge blocking: apparently Katori shinto ryu, maniwa nen ryu, hyoho niten ichi ryu and kashima shinto ryu don't seem to have a problem with it.

And who cares if his blade gets damaged, someone is trying to cut you up with a really big razor, and the sword is just a sidearm in the first place!

Page 6 of 10 First ... 2345678910 Last