Page 5 of 10 First 123456789 ... Last
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly they want to wave swords around like they are trying out for the next installment of Pirates of Caribbean, I don't really care so long as they don't make BS claims about the effectiveness of their art. Most of my interest in sword work, is purely academic and nerdish.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeDF...fdHb_ftc7huhEY

Here is the perspective of one of the top HEMA instructors that I know of on the subject of edge vs. flat parry.

The short version: First of all, it doesn't matter, second of all, most parrying in real sword work is done with the edge for a variety of reasons.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeDF...fdHb_ftc7huhEY

Here is the perspective of one of the top HEMA instructors that I know of on the subject of edge vs. flat parry.

The short version: First of all, it doesn't matter, second of all, most parrying in real sword work is done with the edge for a variety of reasons.
    That's a great find. Thank you. From what I can tell there are different camps as to what is preferable in HEMA. There is also a video out there, I'm trying to hunt it up again because I saw it like a year or more ago, where a guy with lineage back to Musashi claimed that in Katana work you primarily wanted to parry with the flat. Either way, it seems the hard karate style pose blocks are out as you immediately want to be rolling out from under the blow to counter cut.

Since your style field says HEMA, am I understanding that right?
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Honestly they want to wave swords around like they are trying out for the next installment of Pirates of Caribbean, I don't really care so long as they don't make BS claims about the effectiveness of their art. Most of my interest in sword work, is purely academic and nerdish.
    You are going to love this channel then. They are Samurai Katana Sword Philippines, a sword company.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5m...n8sY6bEeTbF49w

These guys seem to be having a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would appear that some schools teach Japanese sword
    http://www.seiyo-shorinryu.com/samurai-weapons

Whether their actual technique is any good, I will leave to some of our actual Japanese sword practitioners here.

Though I am going to guess by the amount of extreme karate type flailing that they do, as opposed to traditional Kenjutsu kata, that the answer is not really.
    Wow, that was some fancy one handed sword-flailing that kid (excuse me "Master") did.

It looks more like the type of "tricking/performance art" kata (or "duo" ju jutsu") stuff that is apparently pretty popular.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthAssassin View Post
    Aryt, guys. Here he is. *drum roll

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uqvhx1LAyhM
    Oh, he's a lefty. Well, there were no left-handed Japanese swordsmen...

So I call BS !

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Aside from the XMA-style kata, the less flashy stuff on youtube is all long low karate stances and loud kiai sword haymakers. You can tell its derived from karate + sword, but that's a recipe for poor swordsmanship.
    XMA is the term I was looking for when I wrote "tricking" earlier...

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the OP, plenty of stuff out there on authentic kenjutsu, including videos.
    You could start here. http://www.koryu.com/guide/kenjutsu.html

And google down the list to see various examples of authentic kenjutsu.

Katori Shinto Ryu...

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a great find. Thank you. From what I can tell there are different camps as to what is preferable in HEMA. There is also a video out there, I'm trying to hunt it up again because I saw it like a year or more ago, where a guy with lineage back to Musashi claimed that in Katana work you primarily wanted to parry with the flat. Either way, it seems the hard karate style pose blocks are out as you immediately want to be rolling out from under the blow to counter cut.

Since your style field says HEMA, am I understanding that right?
    There are different camps, but the camp that favors flat parrying doesn't do much contact sparring so... make of that what you will.
    You do parry more with the flat with a Katana than with most western swords, but if you look at the design of the Katana, it facilitates this somewhat and those flat parries are largely an adjunct to using footwork to evade the blow and control measure. You really wouldn't want to rely on a flat parry to save yourself or gain a bind.

Now as to your other point about those karate style blocks, yeah those are not a thing with any kind of sword except MAYBE the british military saber in SOME cases. Even then, the mechanics of karate would be all wrong for the movement employed.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    accidental double post.

Page 5 of 10 First 123456789 ... Last