Page 3 of 10 First 1234567 ... Last
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the XMA-style kata, the less flashy stuff on youtube is all long low karate stances and loud kiai sword haymakers. You can tell its derived from karate + sword, but that's a recipe for poor swordsmanship.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthAssassin View Post
    Aryt, guys. Here he is. *drum roll

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uqvhx1LAyhM
    and here it is nicely embedded for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Aside from the XMA-style kata, the less flashy stuff on youtube is all long low karate stances and loud kiai sword haymakers. You can tell its derived from karate + sword, but that's a recipe for poor swordsmanship.
    Shorin Ryu is not characterized by low long stances, unlike the majority of Okinawan styles. Note the difference in the excellent videos previously linked of kenjutsu vs the XMA kata garbage.

Okinawan arts were not traditionally sword arts cause you know, Japanese. Admittedly, I am no expert on the sword arts or Shorin Ryu. It'd be good to have one of the site's practitioners weigh in.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Shorin Ryu is not characterized by low long stances, unlike the majority of Okinawan styles. Note the difference in the excellent videos previously linked of kenjutsu vs the XMA kata garbage.

Okinawan arts were not traditionally sword arts cause you know, Japanese. Admittedly, I am no expert on the sword arts or Shorin Ryu. It'd be good to have one of the site's practitioners weigh in.
    I'd kind of expect an authentic Okinawan karate style to have mediocre sword work not based on real Japanese sword work, the way you see karate guys today inventing mediocre grappling.

This seems like a good example of what I mean:
    https://youtu.be/DCt0NjgV2Q8

I think karate and kung fu that historically weren't into exaggerated stances had those stances creep in via keeping up with the Joneses in mixed kata competition.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd kind of expect an authentic Okinawan karate style to have mediocre sword work not based on real Japanese sword work, the way you see karate guys today inventing mediocre grappling.

This seems like a good example of what I mean:
    https://youtu.be/DCt0NjgV2Q8

I think karate and kung fu that historically weren't into exaggerated stances had those stances creep in via keeping up with the Joneses in mixed kata competition.
    Anytime I see someone practicing blocking with the edge of the blade as opposed to the flat of the blade I am pretty sure that they have no idea about authentic sword work in any useful form.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Anytime I see someone practicing blocking with the edge of the blade as opposed to the flat of the blade I am pretty sure that they have no idea about authentic sword work in any useful form.
    Yeah, but if your only frame of reference was a striking art where you attack incoming limbs with the bony parts of your forearm, blocking with the edge kinda makes sense.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, but if your only frame of reference was a striking art where you attack incoming limbs with the bony parts of your forearm, blocking with the edge kinda makes sense.
    I'm pretty sure that their main point of reference was old sword and sorcery movies followed by Ninja movies.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    The question is not, does Shorin Ryu Karate teach the sword. The question is, does the sword teach Shorin Ryu!

O.o
    In Mother Russia...oh, never fucking mind... I'm just going to sit back and see how this plays out.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    and here it is nicely embedded for everyone's viewing pleasure.

So, what do you think? Legit or legit bullshit?

Page 3 of 10 First 1234567 ... Last