Page 10 of 10 First ... 678910

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I have had better luck with thrusts for that type of counter. With the proper angle it's almost like a free hit.
    It is, and that technique is called zornhau-ort, use the zornhou to own the space and then just thrust at your opponent while they are stuck offline. The choice of which to use tends to be dependent on your relative measure and awareness.
    Against a more canny opponent that keeps a good measure, you will almost never get the cut, so you MUST thrust to hit them, but against a more aggressive opponent that does NOT keep good measure, the cut will often land and keep you safe in the same tempo.
    You can also, with practice, thrust directly in to the the attack, but REALLY should have a complex hilt for that because busted fingers HURT.

Style
    Koryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    It is, and that technique is called zornhau-ort, use the zornhou to own the space and then just thrust at your opponent while they are stuck offline. The choice of which to use tends to be dependent on your relative measure and awareness.
    Against a more canny opponent that keeps a good measure, you will almost never get the cut, so you MUST thrust to hit them, but against a more aggressive opponent that does NOT keep good measure, the cut will often land and keep you safe in the same tempo.
    You can also, with practice, thrust directly in to the the attack, but REALLY should have a complex hilt for that because busted fingers HURT.
    Thanks, had a look at the technique (thanks for mentioning the actual name) and that resulted in some nice vids.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent post. I haven't run into a lot of people with good understanding of techniques on this subject. I totally agree on the busted fingers part LOL. I have found that proper position works better than relying on the guard though. Even a grazing hit is the best learning experience on what not to do.

Style
    Koryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Broken, not broken?
    <Not broken
    >Good
    <Still sucks

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Excellent post. I haven't run into a lot of people with good understanding of techniques on this subject. I totally agree on the busted fingers part LOL. I have found that proper position works better than relying on the guard though. Even a grazing hit is the best learning experience on what not to do.
    Ehh...
    In sparring the margin for error is just too small for me to attempt the direct thrust against a powerful cut without the additional measure of safety offered by a more complex hilt.
    Now, against another thrust or a more tentative cut... That is a different story.
    Thrust true edge to true edge and get your strong on their weak, raise your hilt above theirs and smile as they get impaled by math and physics.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    impaled by math and physics.
    This would be an epic epitaph.

"RIP

Here lies So N. So

IMPALED BY MATH AND PHYSICS"

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even then, the mechanics of karate would be all wrong for the movement employed.
    This applies to so much more than just swordplay.
    I see a lot of core mechanics being spouted as common to most martial arts, so that they can be carried from one art to another. But it seems very arbitrary beyond some very simplistic elements. FMAs do try to keep common principles between weapon and empty hand, but in internally consistent systems, I suppose.

Style
    Koryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My background in karate is still a major obstacle in progressing in what I'm trying to learn in kenjutsu. Tension, stance, balance. Everything is different

Page 10 of 10 First ... 678910