Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    Western Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe in fighting at my best fighting weight . I never cut weight . I felt that I would lose stamia and gas out. In boxing the general rule is the taller the other boxer. Fighting in the 145 lb. class. I had my fair share of them. A 6 ft at my weight it was rare to find one with boxing skills and have power too. Up or down a weight class ? Where do you feel the is your best fighting weight?

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarJoe View Post
    I believe in fighting at my best fighting weight . I never cut weight . I felt that I would lose stamia and gas out. In boxing the general rule is the taller the other boxer. Fighting in the 145 lb. class. I had my fair share of them. A 6 ft at my weight it was rare to find one with boxing skills and have power too. Up or down a weight class ? Where do you feel the is your best fighting weight?
    Im actually unsure. I've definitely found dieting down is a struggle for me, but then my body has had a lot of side effects from being on various antidepressants (mostly weight gain, bloating, insomnia etc) and I started competing in that time. I've never know what is my 'normal' or best weight to be at, som im looking at that now.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Im actually unsure. I've definitely found dieting down is a struggle for me, but then my body has had a lot of side effects from being on various antidepressants (mostly weight gain, bloating, insomnia etc) and I started competing in that time. I've never know what is my 'normal' or best weight to be at, som im looking at that now.
    Based on the boxers I know, the normal or best weight for them is what other people would call a really slim body, plus a lot of muscles.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asking this now that I am off meds and weight is frankly stripping off me. I've always been on the border or 90k for judo tournaments, and wondered in your style/sport for competition, what would you prefer?

I can imagine if I went heavier I'd have less people to fight in judo tournaments, but if I stripped down too much I'd feel quite weak by comparison.

Likewise, I can imagine some sports that are more striking based it might be more useful to be smaller.
    Are you losing fat or muscle, or some of both? If it's mostly fat, I'd go for the lower weight class.

Are you losing strength as well ? I know you weren't able to really lift due to your elbow injury. If you can maintain 90 kg strength and go down one weight class...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Are you losing fat or muscle, or some of both? If it's mostly fat, I'd go for the lower weight class.

Are you losing strength as well ? I know you weren't able to really lift due to your elbow injury. If you can maintain 90 kg strength and go down one weight class...
    I seem to be losing fat given how my shape is changing, and for the most part my strength isn't far off what it was (given no deadlifting or bench with the arm) and Im feeling stronger. That said I could probably afford to drop some weight anyway gradually rather than go for a weight cut. I know guys who do the whole '1 week fast and nothing but water' diet for the week before a comp, then a suana then suck on the day because they dont realize they are starved and dehydrated...

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seem to be losing fat given how my shape is changing, and for the most part my strength isn't far off what it was (given no deadlifting or bench with the arm) and Im feeling stronger. That said I could probably afford to drop some weight anyway gradually rather than go for a weight cut. I know guys who do the whole '1 week fast and nothing but water' diet for the week before a comp, then a suana then suck on the day because they dont realize they are starved and dehydrated...
    Sounds like you are doing well then. Keep losing the weight gradually, as a side effect of getting off of the meds, and see where you end up. At just under 90 kg, see what your body fat looks like, and adjust from there.

If you can still lose some bodyfat (you don't have to be shredded by any means), you could keep dropping a bit more, but at some point you will be able to eat more, lift and get stronger/gain muscle mass to stay in -90 kg.

The next weight class down is -81 kg, you 'd have to be pretty darned fat to get down to 81 kilos, I imagine.

At your level of judo, you should show up at a shiai ready to go without having to do any stupid weight-cutting. Being fully hydrated, rested, and not hypoglycemic is a good thing.

I say all this never having seen you in person, doing Judo or otherwise, so it's just general advice.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Punch and Grab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who has felt the joys of being thrown about by a guy whose cut from 85kg to make it to under 81 going up against a my 75kg arse, yes, I would prefer to move down in weight class, and am actively trying to achieve that, under 73kg for judo, catch weight of 71 for an ammy boxing match I hopefully will have in 5 months and looking beyond that at making 69kg my fight weight for ammy boxing

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm usually close to 200lbs, and I've done tournaments where like 190-200 was a weight class, and 200+ (no upper limit) was a weight class (continuous sparring). I've done both, and actually would rather be in 200+, because that division tends to be fat dudes and I'm the quickest among them, while the 190lb guys tend to be more muscular.

Page 2 of 2 First 12