Page 2 of 19 First 12345612 ... Last

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I defer to your likely better understanding of the political makeup, but isn't that exactly what's going on, here? Catalonia calls themselves a nation, but Spain recognizes them only as a state.
    I think that in context it means the opposite, that Spain recognizes Catalunia as an ethnic-historical-thingie (nation) but not as an independent country (state).

EDIT:
    That is, "state" in this context mean "sovereign entity", not in the sense of USA "state".
    Like in, the UK is a "state", Scotland is a "nation".

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    In my opinon, the main if not only reason for this independence is that northern Italy is significantly wealthier than southern Italy, so many northeners just didn't want to pay taxes for the southeners, and mostly amped up "cultural differences" to pretend there wer.

For what I can understand Catalunian independence is more or less the same thing. Am I correct or there are other reasons?
    The taxes element is an important element but there is also historical grievances at play since the War of Spanish Sucession and, more recently, Franco's dictatorship.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure how exactly this fits in:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ral-referendum
    Skip down a bit to the video, a sign with a hammer and sickle, "TOURIST GO HOME!" Apparently, there's a "tourism kills," campaign within Catalonia, but some of their rhetoric includes "refugees welcome." So, are they pro- or anti-secession?
    They are against gentrification and rowdy drunken brits.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that in context it means the opposite, that Spain recognizes Catalunia as an ethnic-historical-thingie (nation) but not as an independent country (state).

EDIT:
    That is, "state" in this context mean "sovereign entity", not in the sense of USA "state".
    This.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

EDIT:
    Interesting, pretty much the opposite of how we USians use the terms. Apologies for any confusion caused by that in my OP.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    This has been in the works for at least 5 years. Immigration, namely Muslim immigration, is a big deal there.

The separatists even promised the Muslims a huge mosque in return for their political support for separation.

The region has been very open to Muslim immigrants. Its where Barcelona is, so we see where that brilliant immigration policy has lead them.

I say let them be independent and welcome in all the Muslims they want. When the Muslims start running over more people, throwing gays off tall buildings, and stoning women to death for getting raped, they'll have the utopia they asked for.

Sources:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ratist-picture
    https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4...na-mega-mosque
    Hahahahahaha!!!!

Style
    boxing, gjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure how exactly this fits in:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ral-referendum
    Skip down a bit to the video, a sign with a hammer and sickle, "TOURIST GO HOME!" Apparently, there's a "tourism kills," campaign within Catalonia, but some of their rhetoric includes "refugees welcome." So, are they pro- or anti-secession?
    Strange times. They don't like tourists but they want more muslims. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

I don't know what polls say, so I've no idea how popular the separatist movement is with the populace. It could be very popular, or it could be a case of a very vocal minority getting alot of media attention.

It's interesting though, and I'm going to keep an eye on this topic and this thread.

(edit: interesting aside, why do people get so up in arms about a swastika, but are ok with a hammer and sickle?)
    You got me.

I made the same point here awhile back, but the response I got was to be called a Nazi and told I support white supremacists.
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met some tourists from Basque Country that were telling me almost this same thing.

No one is even certain about how Brexitt will happen here. Interesting times ahead

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    They are against gentrification and rowdy drunken brits.
    Ha ha, folks should google Mallorca.

You know, Battlefields, that is probably your kinda place...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    This has been in the works for at least 5 years. Immigration, namely Muslim immigration, is a big deal there.

The separatists even promised the Muslims a huge mosque in return for their political support for separation.

The region has been very open to Muslim immigrants. Its where Barcelona is, so we see where that brilliant immigration policy has lead them.
    Yeah, we know you hate Muslims and have a very anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim stance, dipshit.

This thread has nothing to do with your extremest political agenda.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 9/14/2017 11:11pm at .

Page 2 of 19 First 12345612 ... Last