Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasman View Post
    My apologies, I should have mentioned I live in the UK where our self-defence laws are rubbish... I won't bore you with the details. It needs to be as clear cut as possible that you are trying to cool things down and leave.

To refine my original question, it's not really about who hits first, it's about appearances. If your reaction to someone else's aggression is to take up a stance:

1) You are inviting, arguably even consenting, to violence.
    2) Tipping off the aggressor you've had at least some training.
    3) Making him look chicken in front of his buddies if he backs down, meaning violence is almost inevitable.
    4) Looking less sympathetic to a jury.

Ideally I want to have both arms in front of me, open palms in a placatory gesture. I know someone is going to say that's a red rag to a bully and I get that, but the footage will be 100% on my side, assuming I win if it kicks off.

Two votes for Kenpo (American Kenpo I assume, lots of rapid strikes) and two for Aikido... I was considering Jiu Jitsu but I'll see what the situation is here for the others. Think I'm buggered for Karate Ni Sente Nashi in UK... the clubs a too far away but thanks, it sounds ideal, no initiation of aggression.
    Learn more about UK self defence laws, they're clear cut and reasonable. If you can back away to put your dukes up that means you have a chance to retreat, take it as that looks good in court and you'll save yourself the hassle of a fight.

If he follows and is still aggressive or you really have no way out then bang him the **** out, you've shown that you were not willing to fight but were left no choice as he persued you. Hit him first, there is no law saying that you must wait to be attacked.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Learn more about UK self defence laws, they're clear cut and reasonable. If you can back away to put your dukes up that means you have a chance to retreat, take it as that looks good in court and you'll save yourself the hassle of a fight.

If he follows and is still aggressive or you really have no way out then bang him the **** out, you've shown that you were not willing to fight but were left no choice as he persued you. Hit him first, there is no law saying that you must wait to be attacked.
    I am very curious as to where he got his information from.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming that the OP is both in earnest and inexperienced in martial arts, it's worth reinforcing that the aikido and kempo "recommendations" were facetious and that "karate ni sente nashi" means "there is no first attack in karate" - it's a philosophical motto, not a style.

If you have the chance in a street confrontation - and that's a big "if" - then yes, it's generally considered to be good tactics to visibly (and vocally) demonstrate that you're not the aggressive party. Many self-defense instructors teach a stance similar to a boxing stance but with the open palms turned towards the aggressor, which reads as "I don't want any trouble", and if there are witnesses nearby it may help if you loudly say something along those lines as well. If you're lucky, that may actually defuse the situation; if not, and if there's a legal aftermath, you'll be about as covered as you can hope to be.

Beyond that tactic - i.e., training in what to do if they've made the first move and the fight is on - try to find an RBSD (reality-based self-defense) class that prioritizes "live", resistance-based training.

Page 2 of 2 First 12