Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Surveillance Society

In these days where you are so likely to be filmed by surveillance and other people, there seems to be some merit in letting your aggressor attack first to solidify your position of self-defence. What's the best reactive martial art?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gen BS ----------- > YMAS

I suggest Aikido or Wing Tsun or Kenpo. I heard there are some serious bad asses in Kenpo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasman View Post
    In these days where you are so likely to be filmed by surveillance and other people, there seems to be some merit in letting your aggressor attack first to solidify your position of self-defence. What's the best reactive martial art?
    In the olden times when there weren't many cameras around, I think that striking first while you "aggressor" was just talking still counted as arseholeness.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate Ni Sente Nashi

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    In the olden times when there weren't many cameras around, I think that striking first while you "aggressor" was just talking still counted as arseholeness.
    Actually that is called "assault and battery" or "battery".

If you are fighting on the streetzz it should be last resort and in a true self defense situation who struck who first is fantasy. You are fighting because you have to fight to either get away or survive.

If OP is worried about cameras I seriously suggest Aikido. It will look great on film and is designed to react scientifically to an attack. No other martial art is suited to dealing with an attacker who strikes first. If you have ever seen a real fight you would know Aikido is the only option, except maybe kenpo with the 15 pressure point strike combo counter to a wild haymaker taught to orange belts.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Actually that is called "assault and battery" or "battery".
    Only because in these fallen days we have cameras.
    /sarcasm

Style
    Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My apologies, I should have mentioned I live in the UK where our self-defence laws are rubbish... I won't bore you with the details. It needs to be as clear cut as possible that you are trying to cool things down and leave.

To refine my original question, it's not really about who hits first, it's about appearances. If your reaction to someone else's aggression is to take up a stance:

1) You are inviting, arguably even consenting, to violence.
    2) Tipping off the aggressor you've had at least some training.
    3) Making him look chicken in front of his buddies if he backs down, meaning violence is almost inevitable.
    4) Looking less sympathetic to a jury.

Ideally I want to have both arms in front of me, open palms in a placatory gesture. I know someone is going to say that's a red rag to a bully and I get that, but the footage will be 100% on my side, assuming I win if it kicks off.

Two votes for Kenpo (American Kenpo I assume, lots of rapid strikes) and two for Aikido... I was considering Jiu Jitsu but I'll see what the situation is here for the others. Think I'm buggered for Karate Ni Sente Nashi in UK... the clubs a too far away but thanks, it sounds ideal, no initiation of aggression.
    Last edited by Chasman; 9/14/2017 12:24pm at .

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing says "I'm a bad ass you better run muddufuka" quite like a perfectly excecuted siu nim tao when faced with rampant thuggery.
    King without a crown

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My apologies, I should have mentioned I live in the UK ...

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My apologies, I should have mentioned I live in the UK where our self-defence laws are rubbish... I won't bore you with the details. It needs to be as clear cut as possible that you are trying to cool things down and leave.

To refine my original question, it's not really about who hits first, it's about appearances. If your reaction to someone else's aggression is to take up a stance:

1) You are inviting, arguably even consenting, to violence.
    2) Tipping off the aggressor you've had at least some training.
    3) Making him look chicken in front of his buddies if he backs down, meaning violence is almost inevitable.
    4) Looking less sympathetic to a jury.
    Where are you getting these silly ideas?

Ideally I want to have both arms in front of me, open palms in a placatory gesture. I know someone is going to say that's a red rag to a bully and I get that, but the footage will be 100% on my side, assuming I win if it kicks off.
    again your ideas are strange where are your sources for this information?
    Two votes for Kenpo (American Kenpo I assume, lots of rapid strikes) and two for Aikido... I was considering Jiu Jitsu but I'll see what the situation is here for the others. Think I'm buggered for Karate Ni Sente Nashi in UK... the clubs a too far away but thanks, it sounds ideal, no initiation of aggression.
    I was joking about Kenpo, you see most ke*po is a joke.
    Compliantly trained fantasy techniques, much like it's grappling cousin Aikido.
    I saw your style field and thought it would be funny.

If you want to avoid legal problems stay out of situations which lead to violence.

If you insist on participating in violence may I suggest an art which does not leave the other guys face smashed in. Judges do not like trained martial artists going all Van Damme on people.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Page 1 of 2 12 Last