Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    MMA/ Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    The problem with the various studies, by and large, is that they have been correlative and haven't spent sufficient time one causation. The two are not necessarily linked. There are a bunch of funny talks about this(the difference between correlation and causation) on Youtube.

So we have a correlation between the advent of the usage of protective headgear and concussion. That is an empirical fact. What is far more foggy is what is causing that correlation if anything at all.

For instance it could be the explosion in sport science in the last 30-40 years that has trickled down into actual training methods meaning people are now physically punching harder than they were 40yrs ago. Or it could be any of the issues that I mentioned above. Or it could be a combination of all of the above.
    All very true. The concussion data also comes from an unpublished study so no one has been able to evaluate the methodology. And there is the reduction in KOs, another way that you could feasibly measure head trauma in fighters.

In any case I appreciate the chance to discuss it. Much better than just blindly accepting misleading headlines and the associated hearsay.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still hate getting hit in the head when I'm wearing headgear. I've never had a punch or kick flying at my head and thought "meh, I'm wearing headgear, I'll just eat that strike".

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    For instance it could be the explosion in sport science in the last 30-40 years that has trickled down into actual training methods meaning people are now physically punching harder than they were 40yrs ago.
    MY brother, who is a boxe coach, once told me that there is a big difference between contemporary boxe and the boxe of, say, the 70s, precisely because modern boxers are on average much more explosive due to more modern method of exercise.
    I think this is true of judo, too (although this has nothing to do with headgear).

Style
    MMA/ Krav Maga
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    MY brother, who is a boxe coach, once told me that there is a big difference between contemporary boxe and the boxe of, say, the 70s, precisely because modern boxers are on average much more explosive due to more modern method of exercise.
    I think this is true of judo, too (although this has nothing to do with headgear).
    It's certainly an interesting idea, and not one I've considered before. It probably applies to a lot of sports as our understanding of physiology, biomechanics and training methods has improved over the years. We also have improvements in how we measure things as well as medical diagnosis, treatment and reporting so comparing performance and injuries from one time period to another becomes even more difficult.

Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like studies can lack context

Headlines such as "with these studies we actually found out that wearing gloves are bad for your hands!"

Page 2 of 2 First 12