Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #21
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    15,757
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    See BKR's post.

    Once people learn the basic gross or large movements of a technique you can then spend the next four decades perfecting it. "Internal Arts" basically approach it from the other direction. They overwhelm you with details in a compliant setting and say work on this and then we learn how to apply it against force.

    Internal skills ONLY come from practice and the skills learned are ONLY useful in the environment you learned them in.

    ...

    You can see where this is going right?
    And it's not really about a specific technique. It's more of a process you have to go through. And the type and quality of "external" training matter in development of "internal power".

    By external training I also mean non- sport-specific training for agility, balance, coordination, speed, strength, (and other physical attributes).

    Yeah, 'internal' arts seem to focus on learning all the body awareness stuff up front, often to seeming extreme degrees, and then that sort of training is supposed to trump doing anything practical.

    It would be interesting to see the history of "internal vs external", timing of development versus times of war vs peace, similar to what happened in Japan after end of sengoku with bujutsu in general and ju jutsu (generic term).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #22
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    15,757
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    So does this mean the Booj is internal?
    Booj is generic jujutsu wearing tabi and a mask...

    Like aikido is generic jujutsu with internal mumbojumbo and majic pants...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #23

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    491
    Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You mean on the Internet ?

    I remember reading about the debate in various MA magazines (you know, those usually glossy stuck-together paper thingies with photos and text inside ?) way before the Internet was a twinkle in AlGore's jaundiced eye.

    So, who knows?
    I was meaning in general, didnt Sun Lutang publish stuff on this in maganizes in the last 100 years or so?

  4. #24
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    15,757
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    I was meaning in general, didnt Sun Lutang publish stuff on this in maganizes in the last 100 years or so?
    I have no idea, I'll have to do some research, as I'm not up on CMA history.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #25
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    15,757
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I have no idea, I'll have to do some research, as I'm not up on CMA history.
    https://chinesemartialstudies.com/20...l-arts-part-i/
    Lives of Chinese Martial Artists (4): Sun Lutang and the Invention of the “Traditional” Chinese Martial Arts (Part I).

    Sun Lutang is a seminal figure in the history of the early 20th century Chinese martial arts. While best known in Neijia and Taijiquan circles (where he is credited with the creation of Sun style Taiji), his vision of what the Chinese martial arts should be is still being perpetuated today. In fact, he did more to promote the idea that the martial arts are fundamentally about health and self-cultivation than any other single figure. Through his ground breaking publications in the 1910s and 1920s he codified a set of ideas about the nature of the Chinese martial arts that we continue to carry with us.

    So, neo-confusciast scholar turns MA towards self cultivation etc.

    Where have we heard that before, during late 19th/early 20th century?

    That was some deep research, eh?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in