Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The mysterious Voynich manuscript has finally been decoded!

"The mysterious Voynich manuscript has finally been decoded
    History researcher says that it's a mostly plagiarized guide to women's health."
    Article
    One of modern Occultists' favorite mysteries (shitty NewYorker article hyping the mystery) has been revealed not to be a book of magic and encoded spells or witchcraft but a collection of plagiarized medical texts for women's health. Being that it is 15th century it does contain mysticism and nonsense but that was par for the course when discussing medicine back then.

While this surprises me none the article is surprisingly fun and fleshed out.

Quote Originally Posted by ArsTechnica article above
    Since its discovery in 1969, the 15th century Voynich Manuscript has been a mystery and a cult phenomenon. Full of handwriting in an unknown language or code, the book is heavily illustrated with weird pictures of alien plants, naked women, strange objects, and zodiac symbols. Now, history researcher and television writer Nicholas Gibbs appears to have cracked the code, discovering that the book is actually a guide to women's health that's mostly plagiarized from other guides of the era.

Gibbs writes in the Times Literary Supplement that he was commissioned by a television network to analyze the Voynich Manuscript three years ago. Because the manuscript has been entirely digitized by Yale's Beinecke Library, he could see tiny details in each page and pore over them at his leisure. His experience with medieval Latin and familiarity with ancient medical guides allowed him to uncover the first clues.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So previous scholars didn't check Latin With Abbreviations before they decided it must be some mystery language?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    So previous scholars didn't check Latin With Abbreviations before they decided it must be some mystery language?
    You want science or you want an occult mystery which baffles everyone? You can't have it both ways yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the sake of completeness, there is a rebuttal (same site):

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...nich-solution/

However, while some academics disagree with the "solution", the idea that the VM is a women's health book seems to be accepted:

The idea that the book is a medical treatise on women's health, however, might turn out to be correct. But that wasn't Gibbs' discovery. Many scholars and amateur sleuths had already reached that conclusion, using the same evidence that Gibbs did.