Page 5 of 36 First 12345678915 ... Last
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    That's all fine, but it's still a bullshit excuse to say that technology couldn't drastically reduce the problem. Switching to clean energy especially solar could help. It's not even a debate as other countries have started to switch to cleaner energy and the results are there to see. I mean that literally, places that have switched have less smog and better air quality. If the world as a whole could convince the fucktards like Trump to invest in new technology there actually is a good chance of fixing the problem.
    Expecting an unforeseen technology to outpace our population growth and increasing power needs is silly.
    It's a matter of physics at this point.
    A fool's errand is what you're talking about.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Does the oil industry qualify?

Oil industry is failing?
    Has failed?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    It's not the time to discuss climate change!
    That time was 20-30 years ago, and I remember that when I was a kid this was in fact already discussed.
    Some 10 year ago was the time to do something.
    Now it's time to do something while tightening the seatbelts.

@ChenPengFi
    So you post a graph that shows that europeans consume double the amount of the average earthling, the americans 4 times that, and the solution is for the non-european-or-american earthlings to reproduce less?
    20 - 30 years ago was too late...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Expecting an unforeseen technology to outpace our population growth and increasing power needs is silly.
    It's a matter of physics at this point.
    A fool's errand is what you're talking about.
    Possibly true, but with no effort to try no gain will be made. A high percentage of people refuse to even admit the problem exists. Besides what other options are there?? Serious question.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No but they are working on it
    So hopefully you can see my point. It does not take first world standards but the most basic improvements in education, birth control, and education to affect birth rates. The more advance the better the results. Education and healthcare seems to be the keys to most of the world's issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Does the oil industry qualify?
    Not sure of your question. Does the oil industry qualify? What is it qualifying for?

Should we, as a nation, be bankrolling Big Oil? That's easy, please accept my resounding "nope."

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Possibly true, but with no effort to try no gain will be made. A high percentage of people refuse to even admit the problem exists. Besides what other options are there?? Serious question.
    The "we have to do something," argument is one of my favorites. It is all about making people feel good, and completely disregards the scientific method. Oh, the delicious irony.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    The "we have to do something," argument is one of my favorites. It is all about making people feel good, and completely disregards the scientific method. Oh, the delicious irony.
    Because doing nothing when all life on earth hangs in the balance is a better plan?? Tell me do republicans supply the koolaid or do you bring your own??

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because doing nothing when all life on earth hangs in the balance is a better plan?? Tell me do republicans supply the koolaid or do you bring your own??
    You have, let me see, about 0 idea whether or not your action is helpful or detrimental. You're rushing to "do something," without understanding any of the effects of that action.

Also, for the record, it was Flavor Aid mixed with potassium cyanide. Personally, I used to buy the Kodak brand, it was great for fixing TMAX films that I had pushed outside of rated ISO.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "right technology" doesn't exist to meet the demands of what people want in the first world, and the rest of the rest of the world aspires to.
    That will remain true for the foreseeable future.
    The watts gotta come from somewhere.

You're talking about fantasy.
    Nuclear fusion, lol...a favorite of science fiction writers.

I have read fairly recently that they're working on technology to be able to use spent nuclear fuel in other words current nuclear waste as a fuel for particular type of nuclear reactor.

However I don't know if even that sort of thing would supply enough energy 4 everybody to be a first world energy consumer.

Even combined with renewable energy energy sources.

For example solar energy and wind energy need space you have to put solar panels and wind turbines in Open Spaces.

Nothing is without a price wind turbines kill birds and are not particularly attractive. Solar panels are not particularly attractive and take up space as well as degrading the environment because they have to be in remote areas where lots of wild creatures live like the desert.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 5 of 36 First 12345678915 ... Last