Page 16 of 36 First ... 612131415161718192026 ... Last
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Sequestration...if you mean C02, you have to have somewhere to put it. Underground is usually the first place thought of.

I'm not sure of the physics of removing mass quantities of CO2 from the atmosphere at any sort of rate that would put a dent in the amount in the atmosphere.

I guess if one looked at say, yearly CO2 output for the world, an idea of a rate just to keep up could be calculated.

Of course, condensing the gas requires energy, so something is gonna have to burn...

The particulate trapping probably has a better chance of success, as can be applied at point source of the emission.

https://www.co2.earth/global-co2-emissions
    There's a bunch of efforts underway. I'm liking the metallurgical or other chemical processes the best, from my limited study.

What I haven't figured out is this graph. Something must be missing:

(source: http://www.fern.org/campaign/forests...e-carbon-sinks)

According to that, we already have a net sink, via natural processes. Furthermore, the environmental contribution from mankind is relatively small compared to other sources, individually or combined. Anyone have a better graph?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    There's a bunch of efforts underway. I'm liking the metallurgical or other chemical processes the best, from my limited study.

According to that, we already have a net sink, via natural processes. Furthermore, the environmental contribution from mankind is relatively small compared to other sources, individually or combined. Anyone have a better graph?
    The carbon cycle diagrams I'm familiar with don't have quantitative numbers on the.

Well, atmospheric CO2 is undoubtedly going up, that's not disputed. The qualitative model though, are the inputs in to complex climate modeling, among other things, relative to carbon at least.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    I wish. If I could have a dream about a way to overcome the mechanical issues with horizontal wind generation it would be very lucrative. At this time the downsides are reduced efficiency and destructive high winds. They are much more attractive and have the ability to generate, dependent upon design, at lower wind speeds typical with reduced height.

to add

We had a chance to possibly have this issue as last years engineering project for Oklahoma State University. The customer didn't want to go that route because he has little faith in numbers, engineers, etc. and prefers to experiment through prototyping. That was fine when his product was remote control technology. He didn't want to face the complexity of the physics involved with regard to design, efficiency and stability at extremes. You can dump wind in the portion of rotation needed to improve efficiency but it requires more moving parts, maintenance and service. Then again there's the high wind issue. I've shelved my participation on the project for now.

Waiting on that dream......

Bnet will call it quitting.

How about a horizontal windmill that uses a fraction of its power generated to change the angle of the blades between perpendicular and parallel to prevailing winds as it spins?

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some designs out there that do that to an extent. Helical designs, pivoting vanes, slotted tracking, etc. It has to be purely mechanical. Wear and tear is an issue along with serviceability.

Good thinking.

Still waiting on that dream (-;

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's where 1bad tries to convince us that clean energy isn't a "viable solution", while completely ignoring the subject of the thread, simply because of the names tied it (thanks Obama..).

Remember, he specifically stated climate change is a "hoax". So now he's going to attack every company trying to build and sell clean energy solutions on the capital market...while producing nothing of his own but commentary.

We GET it dude. You fucking hate the last good POTUS, Barack Obama because he supported cleaner, renewable energy sources with less carbon output.

The least you can do is stop plagiarizing. You copied and pasted from 5-6 sources, then didn't bother to point out what was yours vs. theirs. Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    It was ALOT more than just one failed company.

Amonix Solar: manufacturing plant in North Las Vegas, subsidized by more than $20 million in federal tax credits and grants given by Obama Administration, has closed its 214,000 square foot facility a year after it opened.

Abound Solar: Abound Solar received a $400 million loan guarantee from Barack Obama then announced in June, 2012 that it would file for bankruptcy.

Beacon Power: Beacon Power Corp filed for bankruptcy protection in October, 2011 just a year after Obama approved a $43 million Government loan guarantee. They remain barely in business, still struggling to make energy that makes sense or that works at all.

Ecotality: ECOtality, a San Francisco green-tech company that never earned any money and remains on the verge of bankruptcy after receiving roughly $115 million in two loan guarantees from President Obama, .....

A123 Solar: A123 Solar received $279 million from taxpayers thanks to President Obama’s Department of Energy loan guarantees even after the Solyndra bankruptcy and is getting another $500M from Obama after a loss of $400M.

Evergreen Solar: Evergreen Solar received $527 Million in Taxpayer money from Obama and filed bankruptcy in late 2011. Evergreen, which closed its taxpayer-supported Devens factory in March, 2011 cut more than 1800 jobs. Evergreen’s $450 million factory, turned out to be a colossal “waste” of taxpayer money.

Ener1: Ener1 Inc. received a $118 million U.S. Energy Department grant from President Obama to make electric-car batteries but filed for bankruptcy protection January 2012 after defaulting on bond debt.

All that failure despite hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars. When you can't survive in a free market despite the infusion of that much Government 'investment', you are not a viable solution.

Source:
    http://www.dividedstates.com/list-of...lar-companies/
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 9/12/2017 8:13pm at .

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Your source is garbage.

When you cite references..try to stick to respected journalists and scholars, not random Internet crap.

Admin Name: Jonathan Cooper
    Admin Organization:
    Admin Street: 244 5th Ave
    Admin City: New York
    Admin State/Province: New York
    Admin Postal Code: 10001-7604

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about ocean-borne or lake-borne units? They wouldn't need to be giant oil platform type things, just tethered somehow. Barge-relocatable. Maybe 10 feet off the waterline for the primary horizontal rotor.

Your ROI just went into the shitter.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The complexity of the systems in question make me doubt any hard numbers therein.
    All the focus on CO2 is troubling.
    It's still a population and consumption problem, not a CO2 one.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    The complexity of the systems in question make me doubt any hard numbers therein.
    All the focus on CO2 is troubling.
    It's still a population and consumption problem, not a CO2 one.
    CO2 problem caused by...

Then there is that black carbon stuff...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Your ROI just went into the shitter.
    It's not about the money, it's about saving Earth!

Page 16 of 36 First ... 612131415161718192026 ... Last