Page 12 of 36 First ... 2891011121314151622 ... Last
  1. #111
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    4,604
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    If this 'green energy' nonsense is all you are touting it to be, put your money where your mouth is.

    Invest your money in those companies.

    But stop forcing us taxpayers to have to put our dollars into these boondoggles.
    I'm fine with taxpayers not being forced to hold up companies.....ANY company including the ones that currently don't pay taxes such as oil companies.

  2. #112
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    For what I know, car fuel use is spectacularly inefficient, so moving to electric cars would do the tricks.
    Even if you get all electricity from burning oil or carbon, I assume that it would be easier to put some good filter on a few factories than on each single car.



    After some googling, it seems that it would be 0.6%:
    http://solar.gwu.edu/q-a/how-much-la...power-us-solar
    Bat there are some logistical problems:
    https://www.good.is/infographics/sol...all-of-america

    I think that once we have solar panels on every roof we can start worrying for space.


    Unicorns are an endangered specie and therefore I can't approve their use in energy production, I'm sorry.
    I propose large batteries of chipmunk wheels instead.
    Solar panels on every roof ? Would that be forced on everyone, and who's gonna pay? Those things are not cheap, plus you have to wire them into the system (of the home and the grid).

    And who is going to maintain all those puppies that you have now installed on everyone's roof top in America (or Italy for that matter) ?

    I'm really not trying to be negative, I think that where solar panels are appropriate, it would be great to have them. They are a part of the solution, for sure, how much so varies.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #113
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    It's not a matter of space, it's a matter of storage. Neither solar or wind provide energy on demand, and electricity can not currently be stored or transmitted long enough distances efficiently. If you want zero emission electricity, nuclear is the only game in town, and the people who are clamoring for reduced emissions loudest are opposed to nuclear for non-scientific reasons. As mentioned above, breeder plant technology is ancient, and should have been in place 30-40 years ago, at the latest.
    Yep...the breeder reactor tech (for those who won't do a search) re-uses spent nuclear fuel/waste, reducing volume, and also toxicity and half-life of said material.

    Storage is indeed the bugaboo of wind and solar.

    Hydro has more potential, except for destroying ecosystems.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #114
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    It seems like they want to be able to breathe or something. The sad thing is we will fall behind in that technology due to fucktards who want to go back to coal.
    Yep, batteries, man, batteries for storage. Read Joe's post, if you have not already.

    China has a long way to go, I agree at least they are trying, but the US is so much cleaner and more energy efficient than China it's laughable.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #115
    1bad65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    3,078
    Style
    boxing, gjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    That's bullshit and you know it. The oil companies have too much to lose to ever let wind or solar really take off.
    So now you're blaming the oil companies for the failure of the 'green' companies that received hundreds of millions of taxpayer 'investments'???

    This is getting amusing.

    Please, continue on.....
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

  6. #116
    1bad65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    3,078
    Style
    boxing, gjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    .....ANY company including the ones that currently don't pay taxes such as oil companies.
    Like Joe said, you sure do love to argue from a position of ignorance.

    Where do you come up with such nonsense?
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

  7. #117
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    It's almost as if you either are allergic to clean air or you're waiting for some cloud person to save the day. Notice how the ONLY country not looking at green energy is us?? It's funny that you guys keep arguing about something that every fucking scientist in the world says you're wrong about.
    The US isn't "looking at green energy" ?

    Just one example, we've (the USA) have had hydro plants for decades. My city has it's own fucking hydro dam on the Moyie River, that is tied into the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA).

    Of course, **** the salmon and steelhead...nothing is without price.

    https://pse.com/aboutpse/EnergySuppl...ind-Power.aspx

    Wow,I'm finding some interesting stuff, thanks to BNET starting this thread. I was reading up on climate models last night, partial differential equations, yahoo! Nightmares of geochemistry and petrochemistry classes last night after that...
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco.../#169461cd2f55
    "Over the last several years in the Pacific Northwest, we have spent about $5 billion and impacted over 50,000 acres of pristine public land for the privilege of throwing away 9 billion kWhrs of carbon-free energy every year (NREL). Just so we can meet an arbitrary state mandate, claim we’re green, and make a few folks lots of money in tax credits, the cost of which gets passed onto the rate-payers and tax-payers.

    So why is there such a drive to install wind capacity in an area that doesn’t need it?

    Surprise! It’s all about the money.


    There is more out there, of course, some it quite rosey, but I think the article I posted gives some perspective.

    It's a complex system, and **** is getting done in the USA. But it's not so simple as screaming about wind, solar, wind, solar...and expecting a technological miracle.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #118
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    That is I think part of it. The real problem is what to do with waste that remains radioactive for centuries. The native Americans seem tired of it getting dumped on their lands. Maybe they can dump it in your backyard??
    Breeder reactors were mentioned earlier. That tech has been around for decades, and is being improved (fast-neutron reactors), that significantly reduce half life and volume of nuclear waste, and in fact recycle spent nuclear fuel as well as depleted uranium.

    I posted a link earlier in the thread, I'm sure there is more out there.

    But no,nuclear is evil, and solar/wind will save the world...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #119
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    That's bullshit and you know it. The oil companies have too much to lose to ever let wind or solar really take off.
    They don't need wind or solar to make tons of money, LOL !

    Oil gets used for a lot more than energy production, natural gas used to get flared off because nobody wanted it (too busy burning coal). Now natural gas is king, but it still produces CO2 and water vapor when you burn it. Better than coal, though in terms of pollution, but coal has a LOT more energy in it per unit volume of material burned.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #120
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,037
    Style
    judo hiatus
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    That is I think part of it. The real problem is what to do with waste that remains radioactive for centuries. The native Americans seem tired of it getting dumped on their lands. Maybe they can dump it in your backyard??
    Did you even open the link BKR linked earlier? No, you didn't. If you did open it you saw there were no pictures and went elsewhere.

Page 12 of 36 First ... 2891011121314151622 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in