Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    And with others, not. This one will head to the Supreme Court to have it's day I think.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.19dd25789bc8

more in the article.

We have it here in Oklahoma.

http://newsok.com/article/5514260
    I should point out here that I don't find it necessarily unreasonable to show some ID for voting, it's the blatant bullshit behind the republicans push for it that I take issue with.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I should point out here that I don't find it necessarily unreasonable to show some ID for voting, it's the blatant bullshit behind the republicans push for it that I take issue with.
    You don't find it unreasonable yourself but others pushing for it make it bullshit because they're of a different political party.

Got it.

Just wanted to quote capture for posterity.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 9/07/2017 2:23pm at . Reason: cause I took out a word

Style
    boxing, gjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't find it unreasonable yourself but others pushing for it make it bullshit because they're of a different political party.

Got it.

Just wanted to quote to capture for posterity.
    Well payed, sir.
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Why would requiring an ID disenfranchise black voters? Honest question, I know this has been done to death, but I feel this audience can really benefit from this discussion.
    There were studies conducted in NC on which kinds of ID black voters likely to not have. Those were the only ones that the new laws would allow for voting...... True story. It was pretty systematic

The courtís decision not to hear an appeal in the case effectively overturned one of the most far-reaching attempts by Republicans to counter what they contended, without evidence, was widespread voter fraud in North Carolina. The law rejected the forms of identification used disproportionately by blacks, including IDs issued to government employees, students and people receiving public assistance.

Democrats and civil rights groups, wary of the Supreme Court now that it has regained a conservative majority with the appointment of Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, welcomed the announcement that it would not hear the case. -NYT

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    There were studies conducted in NC on which kinds of ID black voters likely to not have. Those were the only ones that the new laws would allow for voting...... True story. It was pretty systematic

Be that as it may, it's a perfectly logical requirement to vote.
    Ihre papieren bitte.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Be that as it may, it's a perfectly logical requirement to vote.
    Ihre papieren bitte.
    I am not completely against the idea, but they were being cunts about it. They weren't allowing government issued id. They are also trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Ihre papieren bitte.
    Just say Nine.

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Got it.

Just wanted to quote capture for posterity.
    No, I find it unreasonable when it's done specifically to keep people from voting.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    OK, so we're talking about NC specifically? I was hoping this would be a broader discussion.
    NC State ID requirements do not seem extreme: http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/id-cards.php. Can you help me understand what, there, is specifically excluding minorities?

(edit) I'm trying to learn about NC's voter id law. My understanding is that the NC welfare card doesn't enjoy the minimum scrutiny for identification that the NC state ID card does.
    It's not hard to get an NC state ID. You need a birth certificate (pretty easy, ask Obama (LOL couldn't resist)), proof of residence (a utility bill, perhaps), and an SSN (which is basically required at birth, these days - if you have a birth certificate, you have an SSN). And, you have to show up and have your picture taken. I'm struggling to understand how that excludes minorities.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    OK, so we're talking about NC specifically? I was hoping this would be a broader discussion.
    NC State ID requirements do not seem extreme: http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/id-cards.php. Can you help me understand what, there, is specifically targeting minorities?

The court found that all five restrictions “disproportionately affected African-Americans.” The law’s voter identification provision, for instance, “retained only those types of photo ID disproportionately held by whites and excluded those disproportionately held by African-Americans.”- NYT
    What aren't you understanding?

Also NC hasn't ever had 1 case of in person voter fraud. This law had nothing to do with fraud.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last