Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    He would you guys go about setting it up on a taller opponent? The reason I am asking is because my instructor will be out the next few weeks and I've been working on this throw. And there is one person taller than me in class, but then we have someone in class who is shorter who is having trouble with them. I think the big issue we both have is getting the leg in range to strike. I assume this is just breaking that ultra defense wrestling posture?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    You have to get a reaction to their rear quadrant somehow. The arm-drag mentioned already can do that. My best entry (in a judo context) was to fake (or try) for a Seoi Nage of some sort, and use their rearward reaction to make the driving entry for Kouchi Gari.

    Like I wrote earlier, there are several methods of doing Kouchi Gari. Many of them require you to get uke (the guy being thrown) moving. Which can be difficult versus a larger (taller) opponent.

    Other than that, honestly, it gets complicated, because of the complicated intersection of grip, movement, posture, relative body size, etc.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #12
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If they have bent over,hips back, Get a Georgian Grip and throw from there.

    Grips are everything. Without the proper grips nothing works.
    And learning proper grips is a whole subject in and of itself, that requires in-depth study and drilling. For even the basics, because you have to essentially do it automatically.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #13
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video shows varieties of Kouchi Gari...

    Kouchi Gari is VERY useful as a setup throw for other throws. I teach it extensively for that purpose, and emphasize knee-cut type transitions to control position (pin) or armbar.


    Last edited by BKR; 9/07/2017 5:50pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #14
    cualltaigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,778
    Style
    BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I would say it's actually one of the moves that works best when someone is a foot taller actually.
    Ogoshi and some other lifting throws can be harder because your opponent can keep their feet on the ground when you are trying to lift them. Reaps and trips dont require lifting. You are just removin the leg they are standing on.
    I find the hip/lifting throws easier on taller guys because my hips are already lower than theirs. However, the thing that makes it hard is getting passed those gadget arms to get in close enough to them go for it, which is where reaps and sweeps have the advantage.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

  5. #15
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    I find the hip/lifting throws easier on taller guys because my hips are already lower than theirs. However, the thing that makes it hard is getting passed those gadget arms to get in close enough to them go for it, which is where reaps and sweeps have the advantage.
    Right, that's why you use them all together with gripping to close the distance.

    Looking at throws in isolation (not saying you suggest that) is a big problem.

    A taller guy can fence you out with those gadget arms on any throw attempt.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #16
    cualltaigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,778
    Style
    BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That's not kouchi gari, it's a a double leg trapping uke foot...
    I know you don't agree with me on the way I describe some throws but even I don't call this a kouchi gari. I do like this takedown though.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

  7. #17
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,522
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    I find the hip/lifting throws easier on taller guys because my hips are already lower than theirs. However, the thing that makes it hard is getting passed those gadget arms to get in close enough to them go for it, which is where reaps and sweeps have the advantage.
    If someone is a foot taller it's hard to lift them with your hips. You runout of lift. If they are 6 inches taller or so it's fantastic for hip and shoulder throws. You can scoot right under them.

  8. #18
    cualltaigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,778
    Style
    BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If someone is a foot taller it's hard to lift them with your hips. You runout of lift. If they are 6 inches taller or so it's fantastic for hip and shoulder throws. You can scoot right under them.
    Yeah fair enough, I've never really tried to hip throw someone who was 6'8".
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

  9. #19
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,522
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Yeah fair enough, I've never really tried to hip throw someone who was 6'8".
    I am 6'4. People that are 5'5 can't really get me up with an ogoshi. If you ever end up with odd body match ups when you're teaching you will notice what I mean. The taller person has to lift their legs off the ground and kinda pretend for the munchkin.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,177
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I am 6'4. People that are 5'5 can't really get me up with an ogoshi.
    Bwahahah.
    I need to introduce you to some old, short, broken up Judoka who like uke goshi and ogoshi.

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in