Page 9 of 11 First ... 567891011 Last
  1. #81
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    My point is that when A throws B in most common judo forward techniques, either A controls B's arm or A falls over B, so B can't stand up, so what's the point to train zempo mostly in the roll-and-stand-up version?
    The biggest advantage is that it is less traumatic than zempo staying down.
    However whenever I've been at a judo course, when the instructor says "let's do some zempos", everyone always rolls and stand up, unless the instructor explicitly asks to stay down.
    Thinking about it, it's possible that the "less traumatic" thing is more important than the slight difference between the two movements, though.

    (also, do people still train the flat forward mae ukemi? I've trained it very rarely, though obviously after many years I can do it. In fact some months ago I slipped on a wet floor and a coworker who saw me falling said: "ah, so it's true that you do martial arts" so evidently it works).
    I got your point already, you expressed yourself quite clearly.

    Zempo staying down is as traumatic as your ability allows.

    You can do a zempo that requires a solid fall, then stand up. It requires you land in the correct side fall position, then stand up. The transition is fast, and you can miss it if you don't know what you are looking at. It still looks like one fluid motion.

    Or, you can stay down, and end up in correct side fall position.

    I am thinking about it, LOL! The only thing that requires much though is trying to figure out how to explain it to you.

    Most people do crappy "zempo" anyway, at least according to my standards.

    Yes, people still train mae ukemi waza. It's important especially to protect yourself when turning out of throws to avoid score, and, also, is good in the type of situation that you described.

    I wouldn't say it's super common, though.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #82
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Well, they weren't doing Judo.

    I thought he meant Tomiki guys doing Judo at a Judo tournament...

    Yeah, Tomiki Aikido has different rules and strategy than Judo shiai, for sure. Judo guys would get DQ'ed doing Tomiki tournament...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #83
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Cobrinia and lucas Leite love them some caperiora
    Anybody who can move like a Caperiora-ist has great ABC, and dynamic flexibility...very useful attributes in grappling.

    The best I ever was a groundwork was when I was doing yoga seriously. The combination of flexibility and static strength was very helpful.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #84
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Because Judo is not only about fighting but is also physical education. The roll and stand up is useful IRL.
    Good point, for sure.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #85
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    Yes it's this:


    but even on youtube I had to search a bit because the first 3 videos I saw were:

    1) actually zempo rolling fall;
    2) mae ukemi but with the guy landing on the hands like in a pushup instead than on the forearms;
    3) the one dimostrating it bent the leg a lot before falling, making the fall sort of pointless.

    So it appears that it isn't very popular (d'uh).
    That was a reasonable demo, but with a couple of flaws.
    1.) His head was too far forward of his hands. Your hands are supposed to cushion your face from hitting the tatami (or floor), so your forehead should be aligned with the diamond you make with your index fingers and thumbs.
    2.) He is looking down, and should be at least looking forward. Why? Because when you are getting slammed face down, if you look down, your face is pretty much guaranteed to hit the floor. Same idea as tucking the chin when being thrown backwards.
    3.) He moves with that mechanical-looking (although dude thinks it's all formal and serious looking) type of movement that makes me gag.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #86
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,494
    Style
    Jits
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first BJJ instructor was also a Capoeira guy. You can see him in this clip



    Starting @2:50

  7. #87
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    3,001
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is value in restricting your concepts to force yourself to deal with them. So these supplementary arts have value in the sense that they become a good drill.

    Like BJJ for MMA.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  8. #88
    Ulsteryank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    345
    Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried looking at this from a real perspective, and No, it's not looking good for Aikido at all. If I was a Judoka, I'd be lucky because there's a Judo club at my local leisure centre walking distance from my house. If I wanted to supplement with Aikido, boom there's an Aikido school also walking distance, and even closer to the Judo club....and this **** is straight from their YouTube channel....
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-uTPvATbGQ
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eLGqeP-xBoI

    We fell harder than that doing self defence TKD & Karate takedowns! (which were basuc Judo techniques)Plus we also played with them in sparring, so it was even more "real."...so to give them the benefit of the doubt, it's a tutorial vid, demonstrated on white belts. Well he has a big fucking air mat in one, and looking through his seminars it doesn't get any better http://www.martinactonaikido.com
    In fact their womans self defence will likely get someone killed.

    So no, this is no benefit at all. Maybe if you want a hobby to get you out of the house, and replicate trad Japanese stuff, but that's it. And seriously it's not that hard to learn a wrist lock.

    PS Sorry couldn't get the the Vids to embed. Don't know what's up with those
    Last edited by Ulsteryank; 9/09/2017 4:19am at .

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    442
    Style
    Bjj
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *puts on bane voice*
    Straight flurry punches and wooden dummy excercises, theatricality and deception; powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce?

    Seriously the only benefit the chun has is to people who know nothing about martial arts you'll look like bruce lee, to those that do, a laughing stock.

  10. #90

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    623
    Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    *puts on bane voice*
    Straight flurry punches and wooden dummy excercises, theatricality and deception; powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce?

    Seriously the only benefit the chun has is to people who know nothing about martial arts you'll look like bruce lee, to those that do, a laughing stock.
    wouldnt JKD make you look more like bruce lee, you know, besides being of asian descent?

Page 9 of 11 First ... 567891011 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in