Page 6 of 11 First ... 2345678910 ... Last

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    It is true that I also believe there is a certain charm to having your partner throw you in a dynamic way, using Judo throws or greco-roman throws.
    On the other hand, I have reason to believe (with some personal cross sport falling training of my own), that the falling the high level Aikidokas do is hard.
    I have trouble being a good enough demonstration uke on some of the techniques in some of the Judo Kata's.
    With some of the Nihon JuJutsu and Aikido moves, the throws are brutal, and if they did not or do not hit the flip-py flip correctly either their limb gets twisted in unnatural ways, or they take a head back fall, or they otherwise get hurt from a poor fall or even a poorly done high amplitude fall whether they had to throw themselves to avoid joint damage or not.
    What the dynamic Aikido falling people do is beautiful athletics and bio-mechanics, and is the result of deliberate practice.
    People who do wrassling type sports with or without a jacket often like to make fun of the Aikido folks, but sometimes they blind themselves to just sitting back, and evaluating an activity for what it does have to offer.
    I see what you're saying, but I think you could develop better ukemi skills practicing gymnastics or- even better- parkour, with the addition of strength and agility training that would definitely carry over into more competitive martial arts training.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    I see what you're saying, but I think you could develop better ukemi skills practicing gymnastics or- even better- parkour, with the addition of strength and agility training that would definitely carry over into more competitive martial arts training.
    Gymnastics, Acrobatics, Parkour, and Capoeira all teach some serious falling and body in space skills that become useful in grappling.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gymnastics, Acrobatics, Parkour, and Capoeira all teach some serious falling and body in space skills that become useful in grappling.
    Break dancers are like a duck to water with bjj.

Style
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Break dancers are like a duck to water with bjj.
    We were debating switching the Sapateiro overtime rules from EBI style format to a Dance off Overtime, and inviting the 10th Planet Martinez brothers as ringers for a one off event.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We were debating switching the Sapateiro overtime rules from EBI style format to a Dance off Overtime, and inviting the 10th Planet Martinez brothers as ringers for a one off event.
    Your plan = salty dudes from Jersey

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your plan = salty dudes from Jersey
    I'm a bit old and a bit out of touch. Who are the salty dudes from Jersey?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bit old and a bit out of touch. Who are the salty dudes from Jersey?
    Gordon Ryan, Gary Tonnon

They are more likely to submit the 10th Planet boys rather than out dance them.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re: aikido falls VS judo falls
    The first instructor I had explained the difference between judo and aikido falls this way (to a boy who was starting judo and aikido contemporaneously, and asked why in judo people don't usually go back on their feet after the falls):

1) In aikido, tori does some wristlock to uke, who therefore "falls" rolling away to avoid the wristlock. The fall is therefore quite horizontal, and uke is suposed to roll and go back on his feet.
    2) In judo, tori lifts uke and then throw him down more or less vertically, or reaps but then pushes uke down (like in o-soto or o-uchi). Often tori falls over uke.. The fall is therefore vertical, and uke cannot realistically "roll" back to his feet.

I think there is a lot of thruth in this explanation, and in fact I came to think that standing up from zempo kaiten ukemi is a technical error, even if most people do it.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    Re: aikido falls VS judo falls
    The first instructor I had explained the difference between judo and aikido falls this way...
    That's basically right.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gordon Ryan, Gary Tonnon

They are more likely to submit the 10th Planet boys rather than out dance them.
    If the purse was large enough, Gordon Ryan and Garry Tonon would compete under dance off over time rules.
    They have competed in Sapateiro several times.
    Why do you call them salty?

Page 6 of 11 First ... 2345678910 ... Last