Page 5 of 11 First 123456789 ... Last
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    So you're operating on the theory that all knowledge and systems have value it seems. I disagree with this. There are different ways and then there are better ways. Muay Thai is better than wing chun. Gjj is better than wing chun. Sambo is better than wing chun. It has been weighed ,measured and found wanting. Their operational theory is bullshit and their methods of training and sparring are bullshit.

Their ability to fight bullshit. Wing Chun is self fellatio in silk pajamas.
    Steve Falkner was trained by one of IP Man's students who was a classmate with Bruce Lee. http://appliedwingchun.com/cms/about...u-duncan-leung

If you have a chance to train with IP Man's spirt returned to give you the most accurate and perfect Wing Chun instruction.... go find a no name local Muay Thai, boxing , judo or Gjj gym instead and don't talk to ghosts. That's weird.

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're operating on the theory that all knowledge and systems have value it seems. I disagree with this. There are different ways and then there are better ways. Muay Thai is better than wing chun. Gjj is better than wing chun. Sambo is better than wing chun. It has been weighed ,measured and found wanting. Their operational theory is bullshit and their methods of training and sparring are bullshit.

Poetry in motion. In the Double leg, I trust!

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Not one of those wind-xxxx dojo, hopefully...
    Seconded.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

All depends on what the goals are, what the doses are, etc.

We can learn a lot about bio-mechanics from analyzing Track and Field, Football, etc.

We don't always do enough of that.

if you want to learn how to fight hand to hand in a sporting environment, endlessly drilling the basics - and I mean the basics- of GJJ, Wrestling, Boxing are pretty useful even for the pro's.

But, the utility from firearms training and basic fitness for real self-defense is is even higher yield in many ways.

And just learning how to make good decisions and having the ability to make good choices is probably even more important than that.

Every physical encounter I have gotten into for the past few decades has been by my choice, and the non-training/non-sportive physical encounters were all ridiculous choices on my part that would have been easily avoided if I was not being ridiculous.

On the other hand, practicing falling skills seems to be valuable for many situations, much more likely to be encountered without willful ridiculous choices on our part.

And those Aikido folks fall better than I do or ever did, and I get thrown everyday except Sundays. I am in awe of their falling skills, and a bit jealous at times of their falling skills from a Judo Kata uke or demonstration perspective.

And, if I knew a real high level push or sticky hands competitor/coach, I would ask for some cross training, because I am fascinated by all forms of grappling.

Then again, taking some ballroom dancing lessons with my wife is on my bucket list.

I don't know enough about Wing Chun other than liking Kung Fu movies as a kid to say much about Wing Chun.

I enjoy watching Master Wong on Facebook clips, I find him to be entertaining.

I'm not too worried about being tough. I was tough for a while, and I then I grew out of it, because I know all humans can spring leaks, we're all going to die, and nothing we earn or learn is going to mean a damn thing when we're feeding the worms and the flowers, which everyone of us is guaranteed to do.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 9/06/2017 7:36pm at .

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't you go talking down self fellatio like that.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    All depends on what the goals are, what the doses are, etc.

We can learn a lot about bio-mechanics from analyzing Track and Field, Football, etc.

We don't always do enough of that.

if you want to learn how to fight hand to hand in a sporting environment, endlessly drilling the basics - and I mean the basics- of GJJ, Wrestling, Boxing are pretty useful even for the pro's.

But, the utility from firearms training and basic fitness for real self-defense is is even higher yield in many ways.

And just learning how to make good decisions and having the ability to make good choices is probably even more important than that.

Every physical encounter I have gotten into for the past few decades has been by my choice, and the non-training/non-sportive physical encounters were all ridiculous choices on my part that would have been easily avoided if I was not being ridiculous.

On the other hand, practicing falling skills seems to be valuable for many situations, much more likely to be encountered without willful ridiculous choices on our part.

And those Aikido folks fall better than I do or ever did, and I get thrown everyday except Sundays. I am in awe of their falling skills, and a bit jealous at times of their falling skills from a Judo Kata uke or demonstration perspective.

And, if I knew a real high level push or sticky hands competitor/coach, I would ask for some cross training, because I am fascinated by all forms of grappling.

Then again, taking some ballroom dancing lessons with my wife is on my bucket list.

I don't know enough about Wing Chun other than liking Kung Fu movies as a kid to say much about Wing Chun.

I enjoy watching Master Wong on Facebook clips, I find him to be entertaining.

I'm not too worried about being tough. I was tough for a while, and I then I grew out of it, because I know all humans can spring leaks, we're all going to die, and nothing we earn or learn is going to mean a damn thing when we're feeding the worms and the flowers, which everyone of us is guaranteed to do.
    Aikido guys can't make me fall though. I can make them fall, probably in a very splatting fashion.

Wing Chun is kinda silly. Master Wong is entertaining because he's delusional.
    Even if your not worried about being tough the question asked was would wing chun benefit someone trying to get better at fighting. The answer is , not compared to about a million other things. It's time expenses would not be worth its benefits.
    Track and field would yield better results than either aikido or wing chun.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 9/07/2017 9:08am at .

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One point on aikido falls, it's much easier to fall softly and smoothly when you're throwing yourself than when someone else is throwing you.

And I'm not sure the self throwing skill translates all that well when you end up getting chucked in an unexpected direction during a competitive match, or practice or whatever.

No, I don't fall as smoothly as aiki-bunnies when I'm wrestling or doing judo but I do fall safely and (mostly) without injury from countless unexpected tosses, something aikido guys don't really train for.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some guys who brag about training 30 years have really trained 1 year 30 times in a row.

Style
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Some guys who brag about training 30 years have really trained 1 year 30 times in a row.
    Pretty much what I recommend, and pretty much what I do. Endless drilling of the basics.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    One point on aikido falls, it's much easier to fall softly and smoothly when you're throwing yourself than when someone else is throwing you.

And I'm not sure the self throwing skill translates all that well when you end up getting chucked in an unexpected direction during a competitive match, or practice or whatever.

No, I don't fall as smoothly as aiki-bunnies when I'm wrestling or doing judo but I do fall safely and (mostly) without injury from countless unexpected tosses, something aikido guys don't really train for.
    It is true that I also believe there is a certain charm to having your partner throw you in a dynamic way, using Judo throws or greco-roman throws.
    On the other hand, I have reason to believe (with some personal cross sport falling training of my own), that the falling the high level Aikidokas do is hard.
    I have trouble being a good enough demonstration uke on some of the techniques in some of the Judo Kata's.
    With some of the Nihon JuJutsu and Aikido moves, the throws are brutal, and if they did not or do not hit the flip-py flip correctly either their limb gets twisted in unnatural ways, or they take a head back fall, or they otherwise get hurt from a poor fall or even a poorly done high amplitude fall whether they had to throw themselves to avoid joint damage or not.
    What the dynamic Aikido falling people do is beautiful athletics and bio-mechanics, and is the result of deliberate practice.
    People who do wrassling type sports with or without a jacket often like to make fun of the Aikido folks, but sometimes they blind themselves to just sitting back, and evaluating an activity for what it does have to offer.

Page 5 of 11 First 123456789 ... Last