Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Lol BKR

I was on my old dojo's website this weekend, thinking about picking aikido back up after being away for around 15 years. Have also been looking into yoga as my once very good flexibility is in decline.

....humblemumble..... I'm not much older than you.
    BKR going savage put a smile on my face, not gonna lie

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yoga is cool, but I'd not spend money on it if I had to choose between it and judo/bjj/etc.
    there's like a bazillion Yoga channels on youtube for free (mostly with women in tight clothing) for easy study and wrist 'conditioning' if youre into that

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol BKR

I was on my old dojo's website this weekend, thinking about picking aikido back up after being away for around 15 years. Have also been looking into yoga as my once very good flexibility is in decline.

After rethinking a bit (see, I really do care, Joe)...

If a person wanted to stay healthy and mostly pain-free for their entire life, then moderate amounts of yoga taught by a qualified instructor, and practiced at home as well, plus some sort of moderate to low impact cardio (swimming, biking, walking, hiking) would be a great thing.

Avoid any sort of hard contact martial arts...done to excess. Properly taught BJJ or Judo would be fine, especially if done on excellent, suspended floor system. Striking arts, again, OK, not really familiar enough, I'd guess in moderation contact is OK.

Again, moderation would be the key, as part of a broader exercise program.

That way one could avoid the overuse injuries (like my shoulders, for example, from Judo).

Of course, it's tough to be moderate when you are young, dumb, and full of that sticky white stuff.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoga is cool, but I'd not spend money on it if I had to choose between it and judo/bjj/etc.
    Again, after rethinking a bit, learning how to static stretch via expert yoga instruction is a good thing. I started yoga when I was about 27 years old, as I had seemingly chronic neck pain (from Judo of course). I basically was able to fix my neck and back problems by doing yoga under a competent (and rather hard-core-ish) instructor.

It felt great, and I got quite flexible. Yoga is quite addictive, in a sense, because once you are able to get the relaxation response going, it feels very, very good. That plus some moderate cardio would be a great way to stay healthy for a long, long, time.

But noooooo, I had to keep competing at Judo until I was late 40s...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol BKR

Not one of those wind-xxxx dojo, hopefully...

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Avoid any sort of hard contact martial arts...done to excess. Properly taught BJJ or Judo would be fine, especially if done on excellent, suspended floor system. Striking arts, again, OK, not really familiar enough, I'd guess in moderation contact is OK.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Damn right I suck at Judo haha.
    Well, you won't get much better at it doing aikido...if at all...just get some of those aikido guys to participate in Judo randori and you'll see what I mean.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    there's like a bazillion Yoga channels on youtube for free (mostly with women in tight clothing) for easy study and wrist 'conditioning' if youre into that
    Yes, but... (always one of those).

It's like anything else, good in-person instruction is very helpful, if you can afford the time and money.

Other than that, dynamic stretching is better, especially before any sort of strenuous exercise, and some very simple stretches usually suffice for static stretching, especially of 'problem' areas.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Nobody ever knew my name, so...

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I wonder...
    I believe people can be Bullshido.
    People can also be flawed, deficient, and incomplete.
    But I am not sure that an exercise, or a series of exercises, viewed as a mechanical process, or a practice to learn a set of movements can be Bullshido, when viewed as an exercise.
    We sometimes view things out of context, and so do other people.
    And at this point, someone from my community, the Jiu-Jitsu community, invariably says: well what about real fighting?
    At which point I say, "Have you seen the recent butt scooting style of play? A whole match of stalling decided by an advantage point? No slams allowed? No heel hooks allowed? No striking? How is that real fighting?"
    Anyway, I have not trained Wing Chun, and it usually takes me a few decades of consistent practice to go the hang of anything with any meaningful understanding of it.
    So you're operating on the theory that all knowledge and systems have value it seems. I disagree with this. There are different ways and then there are better ways. Muay Thai is better than wing chun. Gjj is better than wing chun. Sambo is better than wing chun. It has been weighed ,measured and found wanting. Their operational theory is bullshit and their methods of training and sparring are bullshit.

Their ability to fight bullshit. Wing Chun is self fellatio in silk pajamas.

Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last