Page 3 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    You seem to be a dabbler of sorts. I recommend picking something effective and sticking with it. Achieving excellence in a single discipline is superior to being ok in 15.

In Jiu-Jitsu we call this being a technique collector. Rickson Gracie, Roger Gracie, and Damian Maia all have very basic games that are just razor sharp.
    What you wrote bears repeating again, he's had that suggested before more than once.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Already been doing Judo about 2 years now, was wondering hypothetically since I keep hearing the 'aikido is bad base but good supplement' comment when it comes to japanese arts.
    You suck at Judo, right? And you think it might be a good idea to supplement with aikido, which is more complicated and difficult than it has to be ?

Aikido has some good stuff in it, yeah, but it's not what you think or imagine.

You are doing MMA/K1/BJJ/ and Judo, and you like to lift weights. You are single, young, healthy, and have the time and apparently enough income and energy to train a lot. You have an inquisitive mind and like to learn.

You are on the right track, you lucky bastard, keep up the good work. Spend your time and energy wisely while you can still train hard and a lot.

Once you are old and broken down, feel free to take up aikido and yoga.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    If Ip Man's son walked in, I would be trying Wing Chun that night.

I might naturally gravitate towards getting time with Jerry Miculek if given the choice of the areas of self defense I am most immediately interested in improving.

But, if somebody who had fenced seriously for 40 years walked in, I would be asking for a fencing lesson.

I don't collect techniques, I collect teachers with 30-50 years teaching experience who other people were stupid enough to retire because they are no longer shiny, or speedy, or young looking.

You be surprised at the walking encyclopedias on a topic with decades of experience that younger and stupid folks throw away when they slow down or lose their hair.

I like listening to those people talking about their domain of expertise.
    I see your point and would agree if my interest is esoteric but the 'I've done martial arts for 30 years' begs the question 'what type' and if it's not a decent art then they can keep walking.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What you wrote bears repeating again, he's had that suggested before more than once.
    Here's my favorite analogy on this subject. When it's time to go to war which do you want to bring with you?

A.

B.

Or perhaps

A.

B.

Now if you train long enough you can get both an A and B option but it's pretty silly to go to war with only a B option.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You suck at Judo, right? And you think it might be a good idea to supplement with aikido, which is more complicated and difficult than it has to be ?

You are on the right track, you lucky bastard, keep up the good work. Spend your time and energy wisely while you can still train hard and a lot.

Lol BKR

I was on my old dojo's website this weekend, thinking about picking aikido back up after being away for around 15 years. Have also been looking into yoga as my once very good flexibility is in decline.

....humblemumble..... I'm not much older than you.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually think yoga, if you don't already have a good flexibility routine, is worthwhile cross training. I did it for about a year when I was in my 20s. I'd go to a yoga class on my off days, I thought it helped with both flexibility and recovery.

Now I just stretch on my off days and still have a few yoga exercises as part of my routine, especially in relation to back flexibility.

Anyway, point being I wouldn't lump yoga with aikido or wing Chun because I think there are some direct easy to measure tangible benefits that have to do with overall physical fitness.

I wouldn't replace a workout with it... but if you're trainnng hard every day, you're doing something wrong.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Fencing and IDPA aren't bullshido ,Wing Chun is.
    I wonder...
    I believe people can be Bullshido.
    People can also be flawed, deficient, and incomplete.
    But I am not sure that an exercise, or a series of exercises, viewed as a mechanical process, or a practice to learn a set of movements can be Bullshido, when viewed as an exercise.
    We sometimes view things out of context, and so do other people.
    And at this point, someone from my community, the Jiu-Jitsu community, invariably says: well what about real fighting?
    At which point I say, "Have you seen the recent butt scooting style of play? A whole match of stalling decided by an advantage point? No slams allowed? No heel hooks allowed? No striking? How is that real fighting?"
    Anyway, I have not trained Wing Chun, and it usually takes me a few decades of consistent practice to go the hang of anything with any meaningful understanding of it.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 9/05/2017 8:08pm at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Lol BKR

I was on my old dojo's website this weekend, thinking about picking aikido back up after being away for around 15 years. Have also been looking into yoga as my once very good flexibility is in decline.

....humblemumble..... I'm not much older than you.
    For an ugly, broken down bastich like you, yoga or aikido would probably be best, as you have to make a living and go to work in the morning.

I'm 55 in a couple of months. I can't stomach aikido, though, so I am doing BJJ, which is the what aikido wishes it were but on the ground, so I don't have to take a pounding or **** up my back/hip anymore.

I can handle getting crushed/smothered and strangled unconscious.

I did yoga for a long time as a younger guy, when I was still very active in Judo. Now it's too painful (shoulders) to do most of it.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    I actually think yoga, if you don't already have a good flexibility routine, is worthwhile cross training. I did it for about a year when I was in my 20s. I'd go to a yoga class on my off days, I thought it helped with both flexibility and recovery.

Now I just stretch on my off days and still have a few yoga exercises as part of my routine, especially in relation to back flexibility.

Anyway, point being I wouldn't lump yoga with aikido or wing Chun because I think there are some direct easy to measure tangible benefits that have to do with overall physical fitness.

I wouldn't replace a workout with it... but if you're trainnng hard every day, you're doing something wrong.
    Yoga is cool, but I'd not spend money on it if I had to choose between it and judo/bjj/etc.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [bold]You suck at Judo, right? And you think it might be a good idea to supplement with aikido[/bold] , which is more complicated and difficult than it has to be ?

You are doing MMA/K1/BJJ/ and Judo, and you like to lift weights. You are single, young, healthy, and have the time and apparently enough income and energy to train a lot. You have an inquisitive mind and like to learn.

Damn right I suck at Judo haha.

Page 3 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last