Page 2 of 11 First 123456 ... Last

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Put in more simple terms, if someone walked in my room with serious and rigorous practice for 40 years in Aikido, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, Karate, a Weapons art, etc, I would happily throw my black belt in my bag, put on my white belt or sign of no rank, and consider myself very lucky to get some instruction from them.
    Incidentally, it's nice to hear from you, Dr Murphy

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put in more simple terms, if someone walked in my room with serious and rigorous practice for 40 years in Aikido, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, Karate, a Weapons art, etc, I would happily throw my black belt in my bag, put on my white belt or sign of no rank, and consider myself very lucky to get some instruction from them.
    Them: I am a Black sash in wing chun

Me:

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Ok so I often here aikido enthusiasts claim its good but its better as a secondary art, say on top of another art. Does Wing Chun offer much benefit to add on top of another style. I ask this due to having checked a few schools in the past out of curiosity with its common ancestor to goju ryu, my main style.
    You seem to be a dabbler of sorts. I recommend picking something effective and sticking with it. Achieving excellence in a single discipline is superior to being ok in 15.

In Jiu-Jitsu we call this being a technique collector. Rickson Gracie, Roger Gracie, and Damian Maia all have very basic games that are just razor sharp.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Them: I am a Black sash in wing chun

Me:
    If Ip Man's son walked in, I would be trying Wing Chun that night.

I might naturally gravitate towards getting time with Jerry Miculek if given the choice of the areas of self defense I am most immediately interested in improving.

But, if somebody who had fenced seriously for 40 years walked in, I would be asking for a fencing lesson.

I don't collect techniques, I collect teachers with 30-50 years teaching experience who other people were stupid enough to retire because they are no longer shiny, or speedy, or young looking.

You be surprised at the walking encyclopedias on a topic with decades of experience that younger and stupid folks throw away when they slow down or lose their hair.

I like listening to those people talking about their domain of expertise.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Ip Man's son walked in, I would be trying Wing Chun that night.

I might naturally gravitate towards getting time with Jerry Miculek if given the choice of the areas of self defense I am most immediately interested in improving.

But, if somebody who had fenced seriously for 40 years walked in, I would be asking for a fencing lesson.

I don't collect techniques, I collect teachers with 30-50 years teaching experience who other people were stupid enough to retire because they are no longer shiny, or speedy, or young looking.

You be surprised at the walking encyclopedias on a topic with decades of experience that younger and stupid folks throw away when they slow down or lose their hair.

I like listening to those people talking about their domain of expertise.
    Fencing and IDPA aren't bullshido ,Wing Chun is.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    Goju ryu is much of my striking and is the martial art I have the most experience in. Let me keep this short and sweet for you: Forget aikido, and forget Wing Chun. Supplement Goju ryu with judo or Brazilian jiujitsu, or just submission grappling in general. You will benefit far more from it.

I've tried supplementing Goju ryu with Bujinkan in the past, because I wanted jujutsu of some kind, and the idea of using diverse weapons and some ninjutsu was appealing to my younger, naive, and geekier teenage self. And while I learned a lot of cool stuff, it wasn't quite what I expected.And now that I'm (on and off) learning BJJ, I'm straight out saying that I was better off learning submission grappling to compliment my karate. I'm still not great on the ground, but I'm comfortable enough to not get submitted and to take the fight back to standing. Or I can submit someone who isn't used to being on the ground. Plus I'm far better at striking because my sense of timing and distance are trained more. Still have a long way to go, but I'm more than confident that I can handle most untrained people, and that's because of BJJ.

Most aikido dojo don't test techniques with any realism. Same for Wing Chun. Any practical stuff you'd get from them will already be taught in Goju ryu. But a lot of Goju ryu dojo don't teach much ground game or submissions, which is why I recommend judo or BJJ. Just my two cents, take it or leave it.
    Already been doing Judo about 2 years now, was wondering hypothetically since I keep hearing the 'aikido is bad base but good supplement' comment when it comes to japanese arts.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Already been doing Judo about 2 years now, was wondering hypothetically since I keep hearing the 'aikido is bad base but good supplement' comment when it comes to japanese arts.
    You shouldn't supplement your judo. If you are doing it 1 day a week for 2 years. You should do more Judo to make your Judo better.

So while you have been training Judo for 2 years you have been doing it about one quarter as much as somebody who was taking their judo training serious if you are only training Judo 1 day per week or so.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    You shouldn't supplement your judo. If you are doing it 1 day a week for 2 years. You should do more Judo to make your Judo better.

So while you have been training Judo for 2 years you have been doing it about one quarter as much as somebody who was taking their judo training serious if you are only training Judo 1 day per week or so.
    I'll be honest if I didnt work evenings through till early hours on my part time job most nights, I'd be at my club's other Judo sessions.

And as I said this was more of a question of insight based comparisons rather than me actually wanting to add the Chun or Aikido.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be honest if I didnt work evenings through till early hours on my part time job most nights, I'd be at my club's other Judo sessions.

And as I said this was more of a question of insight based comparisons rather than me actually wanting to add the Chun or Aikido.
    Fair enough and this would be my across the board answer for anything. If you wanna be good at judo or bjj train Judo or bjj more.
    If you want to be good at Grappling train sambo,bjj,judo,catch ,Greco-Roman, Georgian belt wrestling, or folk wrestling.
    Aiki-anything is basically japanese for bullshit now days. the founder seemed to have a screw loose from the get go and completely lost his mind after the nukes got dropped on Japan in WW2. There will be some worthwhile things to pluck from aikido but overall you would be better served to just practice one of the competitive grappling arts I have named.
    There are a few bjj black belts who have done both and have some slick wrist locks from aikido. Essentially that's what aikido will offer. You will spend years LARPing to be decent at wrist locks. Those wrist locks will be useless unless you are very good at one of the proper sub grappling styles like bjj,judo or sambo. Unless you really love magic pants just train one of those.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 9/05/2017 11:36am at .

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls
    Style
    Goju ryu, Boxing, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It very well may be, but anything practical about it or even Wing Chun already is covered in Goju ryu, via, bunkai and muchimi. I'll even argue that Goju ryu does it better, especially if your dojo does irikumi style kumite.

Page 2 of 11 First 123456 ... Last