Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    If at 270 you can't deadlift 400 then you need to start deadlifting. Turkish get-ups and lunges would be a good idea too, though those would be lighter. Read 5/3/1 or Starting Strength on how to deadlift.

For all the rest—muscle endurance, cardio—circuits and intervals with bodyweight or kettlebells/dumbbells should be fine on top of lots and lots of jiujitsu.
    I strongly disagree. At 270 if you can't deadline 500lbs you need to weigh 200lbs or less.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I strongly disagree. At 270 if you can't deadline 500lbs you need to weigh 200lbs or less.
    I disagree. At 270lb, you should be able to dead lift 540lb for a set of five, and one arm mil press or side-press 135lb. When I was in HS Wrestling double body weight deads and half body one one arms was considered "in shape", strong started after that. Beyond that, for endurance things like push ups, body weight squats, and if you are really adventurous you may want to try the Viking Warrior Conditioning program. Name is cheesey I admit, but the info is solid and backed up by some pretty solid science, and it will give you some serious power endurance if you follow through on all the protocols.

You probably won't be able to do this all in a short amount of time, but any serious conditioning will take you a minimum of 6 to 12 weeks, and possibly up to a year or more depending on your starting point.

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deadlifts are a very good judge of true strength. There's some wiggle room as far as true baselines, as someone with long legs and short arms will have a harder time. Stubby legged folks with long gorilla arms will find deadlifting much easier. Any way you slice it, you've got a lot left on the table if you can't deadlift 1.5x bodyweight, and 2x is a very worthwhile goal.

Style
    BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know accurately or approximately what your body fat % is and what your waist circumference is measured just above the naval.

Page 2 of 2 First 12