Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

14-year-old Hyderabad girl is battling patriarchy with a Wushu sword

https://yourstory.com/2017/08/fareeh...wushu-warrior/

I like this story- I'm in support of anyone that seeks to enhance their lives with martial arts training (or wushu).

That being said, I can't help but giggle at the irony of the article's title, when the text itself contains:

"Though the entire family was against her, it was her father who supported her vehemently. He was an illiterate who grew up living on the streets; hence, he wanted his child to have a chance at anything that could make her independent irrespective of her gender. With him by her side, the rest of the family had to eventually give in, albeit halfheartedly."

The linked HuffPo article has a similar title: "Patriarchy Couldn't Stop This 14-Year-Old Muslim Girl From Becoming A Wushu Martial Arts Champion"

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2016/10...om_a_21578759/

while the article's text contains:

"At one point, the teen's mother and brother even told her that she was bringing dishonour to the family. However, Fareeha was not alone in this fight. With unwavering support from her father, not only did she travel all the way to Guwahati, she also won the national championships. "

as well as:

"Patel further adds that the principal of the school must be given due credit. Not only did he familiarise himself with this niche sport he also encouraged the girls to take it up and supported them in their pursuit of excellence in the sport. "

So both articles are about the 'fighting the patriarchy', but both cite examples of men as the primary supporters of Fareena's activities.

Comments, thoughts, opinions?

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good on her, good on her dad and shame on the journalist's who mentioned patriarchy when it was her mum who was the arsehole.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Good on her, good on her dad and shame on the journalist's who mentioned patriarchy when it was her mum who was the arsehole.
    Agreed. This is part of the 'Vocal Left' that I severely dislike.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    https://yourstory.com/2017/08/fareeh...wushu-warrior/
    So both articles are about the 'fighting the patriarchy', but both cite examples of men as the primary supporters of Fareena's activities.
    My feminist-fu in't that strong, but I think that 'fighting the patriarchy' doesn't mean 'fight everyone who was born with a penis', but rather 'fight a certain idea of what the role of a woman is'.

In particular in the articles they aren't speaking of patriarchy but of sexism, however sexism can be seen as one form of patriarchy (my understanding is that the term 'patriarchy' refers to the theory that original human societies were matrilineal, but when societies reached a point where the ownership of goods like livestock or land became crucial, inheritance also became crucial so that women were locked in women's room so that they couldn't give birth to offsprings by other men).

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    My feminist-fu in't that strong, but I think that 'fighting the patriarchy' doesn't mean 'fight everyone who was born with a penis', but rather 'fight a certain idea of what the role of a woman is'.

In particular in the articles they aren't speaking of patriarchy but of sexism, however sexism can be seen as one form of patriarchy (my understanding is that the term 'patriarchy' refers to the theory that original human societies were matrilineal, but when societies reached a point where the ownership of goods like livestock or land became crucial, inheritance also became crucial so that women were locked in women's room so that they couldn't give birth to offsprings by other men).
    I can accept that reasoning. I still find the title vs context to be ironic. However, I guess it stands to reason that if the power rests with the men, then it's up to the men to be the proponents of change. This makes men invaluable allies in the fight against patriarchy.

Which is also ironic.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can accept that reasoning. I still find the title vs context to be ironic. However, I guess it stands to reason that if the power rests with the men, then it's up to the men to be the proponents of change. This makes men invaluable allies in the fight against patriarchy.

Which is also ironic.
    I also think that the use of the term "patriarchy" is over the top, I think "sexism" would have been more appropriate.
    There is also the point that women too can be sexist (in the sense of being "pro patriarchy"), as exemplified by the girl's mother.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get me started on the "Patriarchy" bullshit.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. This is part of the 'Vocal Left' that I severely dislike.
    Politics much, idiot? Fine.

What the **** does any "Vocal Left" have to do with patriarchy?

The "patriarchy" the article was discussing had nothing to do with her mother, her brother, or her father.

It had to do with Indian culture, which is predominately patriarchal on a level you're probably unaware of...if you're trying to tie to to points about the "Left" in a Western context.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which is also ironic.
    Bullshit.

Your idea of ironic is posting a story about Indian women wielding Chinese Wushu to defeat patriarchy and then pivoting to "Vocal Left" of your own hemisphere.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    I also think that the use of the term "patriarchy" is over the top,
    Not in India it's not.

Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how many women get raped in public in India?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last