Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJEE puts out fake news

I'm gonna dump this here because it seems the appropriate place. Today BJJEE put out an article detailing 10 UFC fighters that supposedly skipped the BJJ belt system and went straight to black belt.
    http://www.bjjee.com/articles/10-ufc...lack-belt-bjj/

You will notice that Mark Schultz is listed as one of these people.

However, about a year ago BJJEE put out another article about Mark Schultz and his promotion to black belt:
    http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/wrestl...y-pedro-sauer/

Mark Schultz has a match with Rickson Gracie in 1993, takes up BJJ after that, in 2016(23yrs later) gets promoted to black belt, and somehow he jumped straight to black? I mean I guess it is possible that he was a 23yr white belt, or he just trained private sessions and so never worried about rank, but it is a bit misleading to put it forth like he didn't put in mat time.

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Gracie's slap them on any decent grappler for marketing purposes .

Josh Barnet for example I think said he only trained a handful of times in a GI and some of those were when he had to cover for the Bjj coach in class.

IIRC Bullshidos own Omega received one in similar circumstances.

All these sites now hire these so called media savvy dudes who promise greater add revenue ext... then just resource to click bait nothing burger articles like this to achieve it.
    King without a crown

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    The Gracie's slap them on any decent grappler for marketing purposes .

Josh Barnet for example I think said he only trained a handful of times in a GI and some of those were when he had to cover for the Bjj coach in class.

IIRC Bullshidos own Omega received one in similar circumstances.

All these sites now hire these so called media savvy dudes who promise greater add revenue ext... then just resource to click bait nothing burger articles like this to achieve it.
    I didn't research them all. I just knew about Mark Schultz. I knew him and his brother from camps I did at Foxcatcher back in the day. His take on BJJ was one of the reasons I decided to take it up. 23yrs training is hardly going "straight to black belt" is what I'm saying.

Could some of the others be prematurely promoted, sure. Like I said I didn't research them all. I just know that Mark wasn't.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Accidental double post.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I just knew about Mark Schultz. I knew him and his brother from camps I did at Foxcatcher back in the day.
    OK so not really on topic... but you went to foxcatcher? how accurate was the movie?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    OK so not really on topic... but you went to foxcatcher? how accurate was the movie?
    I wasn't a member of Team Foxcatcher, but I attended camps there, and spent time training there leading up to Junior Nationals and Junior Worlds, so I don't have a full first hand account. Aside from that, from what I saw the movie was pretty accurate. You should check out the Netflix documentary too if you are interested. They did gloss over some parts, like how DuPont would interrupt practices to demonstrate that he was in fact the "head coach", and either give these odd rambling "motivational speeches" or show us these super techniques, which were really really crap, and usually executed wrong. Really you could smell the crazy on that guy, but everyone wanted to be there because there was no where else that a wrestler could be fully supported.

I remember when I first showed up for one their Junior National training camps, one of the Team guys pulled me aside and said, "Hey man, John is a little weird, but what you really need to know is that if he wants to roll with you, you gotta let him win otherwise he'll show you the door." Apparently John DuPont thought himself some sort of Olympic caliber wrestler, and got quite unstable if anyone pointed the faults in his game. I rolled with him a couple of times... I felt like I was rolling with a five year old peewee grappler the guy sucked so much. Saw another guy take him down hard a couple of times, John just lost his **** about cheating and using PEDs and all kinds of nonsense. That guy was gone before dinner.

So the movie was pretty accurate, though I personally think they downplayed his crazy a bit.

Edit:
    They got the costuming wrong. Dave Schultz always wore these long crew socks, and would fold his socks down over his laces to keep them from coming undone. In the early 90's a Freestyle match was pretty much a straight 7minutes. Untied shoe laces were considered a safety hazard and the match would be stopped until they were tied. Dave didn't want to give his opponents a breather, so he would pull his socks down over his laces to keep them from coming untied.
    Last edited by Michael Tzadok; 8/18/2017 9:52am at .

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    The Gracie's slap them on any decent grappler for marketing purposes.
    That has not been my experience or something that I have observed really happen in the decades I have been training with Gracies, around Gracies, or with Gracie Instructors.

Josh Barnett had significant cross training with his training partner / Coach Erik Paulson, who is himself a Machado black belt before receiving his black belt from Erik and Rigan.

Josh Barnett had also competed under BJJ rules without Gi and did very well against BJJ black belts.

Josh Barnett also has had experience cross training in Judo.

And...Josh Barnett could also teach most BJJ black belts many useful things from his high level experience about how to improve their BJJ grappling practice.

He was not just any "decent grappler", he was the top catch wrestler of his day, along with Sakuraba, he competed and did very well with BJJ black belts under BJJ rules in No Gi tournaments, and he had significant cross training with BJJ black belts for an extended period of time.

If Josh Barnett came in my room and he was willing to teach something or roll in a gi, I would definitely have no problems at all with him wearing the black belt that Erik Paulson and Rigan awarded to him.

If you don't think he should wear a black belt in your room, my suggestion is you take it off him. :)

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    If you don't think he should wear a black belt in your room, my suggestion is you take it off him. :)
    Please film result.

Extra marks if you call him a fake black belt before doing it.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    That has not been my experience or something that I have observed really happen in the decades I have been training with Gracies, around Gracies, or with Gracie Instructors.

Josh Barnett had significant cross training with his training partner / Coach Erik Paulson, who is himself a Machado black belt before receiving his black belt from Erik and Rigan.

Josh Barnett had also competed under BJJ rules without Gi and did very well against BJJ black belts.

Josh Barnett also has had experience cross training in Judo.

And...Josh Barnett could also teach most BJJ black belts many useful things from his high level experience about how to improve their BJJ grappling practice.

He was not just any "decent grappler", he was the top catch wrestler of his day, along with Sakuraba, he competed and did very well with BJJ black belts under BJJ rules in No Gi tournaments, and he had significant cross training with BJJ black belts for an extended period of time.

If Josh Barnett came in my room and he was willing to teach something or roll in a gi, I would definitely have no problems at all with him wearing the black belt that Erik Paulson and Rigan awarded to him.

I am not sure were that rant came from but I never said he was unworthy or should not wear one I was implying that he was given it because it benifits the Gracie's more being able to say he has one than it does him having it when he never wanted it which is why I personally think they gave it too him.

This was the original article I read about it :

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/josh-b...hat-you-think/

IIRC Rolles Gracie went it Rashad Evans Hotel room/dressing room with cameras right before a fight to award it to him. (UFC 108)
    King without a crown