Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

i think i'm leaving martial arts for good

unfortunately i ended up training for too many years at a cult like place.
    the dude teaching came from a legit school and had excellent technique, but at some point he went nuts and became a self proclaimed spiritual guru. he was crazy and wouldn't stop talking about "enlightment" and insane "spiritual" stuff. he even held special retreats that cost a fortune to attend. people would quit their jobs and normal lives and eat away their savings to devote themselves to the practice and there was a lot of emotional and verbal abuse going on. i know a couple of senior students who are going through severe mental breakdowns as a result but are too scared and guilted out by the teachers from seeking therapy and professional help. a lot of other teachers (but not my own teacher thank goodness) in this circle take advantage sexually of young, sometimes teenage students (these are 40-50-60 year old men we're talking about). a friend of mine had this happen to her and quit because of this. the teacher got very angry with her, took it as personal rejection and called her selfish for leaving. there were many other alarming things that went on but this would turn into a massive rant that nobody has the time to read.
    anyways, i finally left and don't think i'd be able to practice any form of martial arts ever again. i realize that most schools and styles aren't like this at all, but i think i'm traumatized for life and am looking for a good therapist. perhaps i'll take up jogging and regular workouts to keep in shape. have any of you guys ever experienced something like this in your martial arts circles?

*this was vague on purpose- for my own safety- and i will not go into anymore specific details, specify which martial art and style i was involved with or the geographical location of said organization. i honestly just want to move on.
    Last edited by karatedude11; 8/17/2017 9:14am at . Reason: typos

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhhhh yeah that is what Bullshido is all about and as scary and fucked the situation you describe is, it sounds about par for the course for the type of assholes and predators we deal with here.

I would think you would like to warn others from stumbling into the situation you fell into. Especially with the accusations of sexual misconduct. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had the info you are saying you have and didn't publicly say something.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also:
    Wrong Forum
    moved GenBS ------> YMAS
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rule #1...when someone starts walking towards a fan with a plate of BS...you gotta side step the fan. That sucks to hear. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with that lunacy. The guy who runs our place doesn't tolerate that crap. And we are all mostly working class folk who participate. I have a feeling guys like that would get laughed out of the gym. I'm sorry to hear that man. I hope all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Uhhhh yeah that is what Bullshido is all about and as scary and fucked the situation you describe is, it sounds about par for the course for the type of assholes and predators we deal with here.

I would think you would like to warn others from stumbling into the situation you fell into. Especially with the accusations of sexual misconduct. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had the info you are saying you have and didn't publicly say something.
    don't worry, locally i'm not keeping quiet about this. i'm posting my story online to warn people that stuff like that can happen anywhere and that it's important to keep a clear head.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was into shotokan as a kid. It was a competative school so we went to lots of tournaments. And while nowadays I can look back and say at least that style of competition taught me some good distancing and ability to close fast, it was otherwise counterproductive to learning how to fight. So in my early teens I figure that out and left.

Bounced around between a few TMA schools after that, and while none of them were close to as bad as the OP's, there was a lot of talk about how the style of whichever school I was at could beat everything else, there was little to no actual sparring to prove it.

This was the early 80s so the truths we hold self evident now weren't so apparent, at least to the general population.

Anyway even a point karate background was enough to help me see unneeded better training. So I ended up at a boxing gym down town.

Was young, and the only white guy there, and very intimidated. One thing I learned right away though...

The boxers were all really nice and more than willing to give the newbie pointers. Got beat up in the ring every day, but not really beat up, they took it easy on the kid. That being said I was polite and respectful, I did see a few showboaters come in and get worked.

Also, most importantly, said ring was in the middle of the gym. Everyone got in it. It's why we were there. Nobody talked about who was better than who. The answer to any of those questions was right there in the middle of the gym.

That experience led me to start wrestling and get into other competition based arts. Mainly Muay Thai. But each to his own in the style they like to train.

So my long winded point is this...

If there is part of you that enjoys training martial arts, instead of bagging the whole thing altogether, find a judo dojo, or BJJ gym or boxing, kick boxing, Muay Thai, mma... anything based around regular competition, even if you never publically cimpeye yourself. As long as you are rolling/sparring with people who do. The training can be quite therapeutic, so can the relationships you develop at they gym...

And after a little time at a decent place knowing you could absolutely push your former teachers **** so far in he'd be begging for a gentle prison rape doesn't hurt either.

Not that you should act on that, but it's amazing what a little perspective will do.

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one that reads this stuff and gets encouraged to start a cult?

I could be a spiritual guru teaching people dogshit and spending my days being worshipped by beta males and women with low self esteem.

In fact I'd be pretty damn good at it.
    King without a crown

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Am I the only one that reads this stuff and gets encouraged to start a cult?

I could be a spiritual guru teaching people dogshit and spending my days being worshipped by beta males and women with low self esteem.

In fact I'd be pretty damn good at it.
    I strongly suspect people who do this have to believe their own bullshit to sound convincing.

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    I strongly suspect people who do this have to believe their own bullshit to sound convincing.
    I strongly suspect most of them do not.
    King without a crown

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    I strongly suspect most of them do not.
    " If you want to get rich, you start a religion."

-L. Ron Hubbard
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Page 1 of 3 123 Last