Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Nice try but no.
    I think you're falling into the same trap that bnet has. I don't actually believe that tripe. It's the philosophical question that fascinates me.

As martial artists, we often take the tack that you can't know something unless you've experienced it. How many of us have actual, demonstrable experience that the world is not 6,000 years old? I'd wager close to none. We take it on faith in the word of those scientists that did the due diligence.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I think you're falling into the same trap that bnet has. I don't actually believe that tripe. It's the philosophical question that fascinates me.

As martial artists, we often take the tack that you can't know something unless you've experienced it. How many of us have actual, demonstrable experience that the world is not 6,000 years old? I'd wager close to none. We take it on faith in the word of those scientists that did the due diligence.
    How many people understand radiometric dating (Sr/Rb, U/Pb, Sm/Nd, 14C...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No, we trust the word of scientist and in any case we ourselves can put the work and ingenuity needed to check scientific claims. Regarding divine beings we have to operate on faith only for there is no way to prove or disprove their existence, that's why they are divine (supernatural, metaphysical...) beings.
    Last edited by DCS; 8/15/2017 6:01pm at .

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    No, we trust the word of scientist and in any case we ourselves can put the work and ingenuity needed to check scientific claims.
    That's what I just said, reworded so that you can understand it and seem contrary at the same time.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I just said, reworded so that you can understand it and seem contrary at the same time.
    Your wording leads one to believe there was no way to verify, as if it parts of it must be taken on faith, the way the whole of religion must be.
    When reality is the exact opposite. All of science is testable and reproducible if not, by definition, it isn't science..
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Your wording leads one to believe there was no way to verify, as if it parts of it must be taken on faith, the way the whole of religion must be.
    When reality is the exact opposite. All of science is testable and reproducible if not, by definition, it isn't science..
    What I was attempting to express is not that laymen *can't* do the work (well, that's actually very true for a lot of things, but that's a whole other conversation), it's that they *don't* do the work, because it's so much easier to just "trust the word of scientist[s]." In many respects, it's not at all different than "believing," in a religious sense. We're just replacing "because God said so," with "because Science said so." Should Organized Science ever attempt to deceive us (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...il_controversy), we're in for a world of trouble.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I was attempting to express is not that laymen *can't* do the work (well, that's actually very true for a lot of things, but that's a whole other conversation), it's that they *don't* do the work, because it's so much easier to just "trust the word of scientist[s]." In many respects, it's not at all different than "believing," in a religious sense. We're just replacing "because God said so," with "because Science said so." Should Organized Science ever attempt to deceive us (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...il_controversy), we're in for a world of trouble.
    That's funny I just thought you were trying to troll me.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    That's funny I just thought you were trying to troll me.
    Trying? LOL! I was doing great, until DCS chimed in.

Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678