Page 5 of 7 First 1234567 Last
  1. #41
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Regular for me. I may have even been uncontested that year. Not a lot of Judo around here. I have medaled when I was contested. But, like I said, I am no one special. Masters for my sparring partner. It's Chris Vanlandingham. We also have a BJJ blackbelt, Thomas Williams, in every week teaching and sparring as well.
    Right, I get that, I'm from Texas. Even back int he 80s not that many people showed up at the state championships, so I was able to medal 2-3 times in normal senior bracket, same for state collegiate championships.

    I just have this peeve about people mentioning "state champion" or "national champion", and it turns out it was in as Masters (30+ age for you non-mainstream judo guys).

    For example, I medaled at senior nationals (no, I know, you didn't claim that)...in masters bracket, 3 or 4 times, not normal senior class. It's kind of a judo record peeve of mine, that seniors vs masters thing...

    In fact, if I recall correctly, I have won exactly one match at senior nationals, despite competing in-65 kg, -71 kg several times, and won exactly one match at the US Open in all the times I competed (maybe 3 times?).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #42
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Additionally, and this seems to be a point that gets missed a LOT around here, martial arts is NOT self defense, is NOT justified use of force, is NOT any of several other aspects of violence that make it more complicated than just "I can kick that dudes ass therefore his opinion doesn't matter". Which is how Rayce is coming off here.
    I think most of us get that, and I think Rayce does as well, although he can speak/write for himself.

    The link you provided had physical training listed as well, BTW, hence the "can't kick my ass part" as you put it.

    Whenever we see Krav Maga, we get suspicious. Whenever I see a lot of guys touting their qualifications and not putting out where they worked, their training, etc., I get suspicious.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #43
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,522
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Now let's be honest with our selves here, sounds to me like you are quoting the exact same resume that Marc and some of those others are, except that you, I believe, are quite a bit younger and as such learned Jiu-Jitsu instead of whatever was around in the 70's and 80's when Jits was... less popular.

    Also, other than a state championship, I have no major titles in Judo either, BUT my weekly sparring partner is, I believe the standing national champion in his division.

    Now, what do YOU charge for a seminar?

    I am not charging people for the knowledge I have gained from being in violent prone areas and situations . I give it away:
    1. Pay attention
    2. don't be an asshole .
    3. Never puff out your chest, push or talk ****. Just go when it's time. Lions don't tell antelope when they are going to eat them for a reason.
    4. Learn to shoot and draw well.


    If I charge for a seminar it would be on my verified ability as a Team Balance Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Blackbelt and competitor.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 8/14/2017 6:28pm at .

  4. #44
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I am not charging people for the knowledge I have learned from being violent prone areas and situations . I give it away:
    1. Pay attention
    2. don't be an asshole .
    3. Never puff out your chest, push or talk ****. Just go when it's time. Lions don't tell antelope when they are going to eat them for a reason.
    4. Learned to shoot and draw well.


    If I charge for a seminar it would be on my verified ability as a Team Balance Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Blackbelt and competitor.
    Emphasis on the verified...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #45
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,522
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    I believe, are quite a bit younger and as such learned Jiu-Jitsu instead of whatever was around in the 70's and 80's when Jits was... less popular.
    The 80's had Boxing, Wrestling, Kickboxing and Judo. Those guys chose hokie bullshit to train when there were better options.
    I question people that say they are familiar with real violence and then choose martial arts that don't approximate it in anyway.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    772
    Style
    judo, parenting
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of MacYoung's martial arts training comes from after he started writing books and making videos. In his early books he works real hard on the I'm a badass from the streets, no pajama wearing dude can handle the reality of what I've seen. That would include supposed bullwhip fights. Check out some videos of him on Youtube. He does not move like someone with any training.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    159
    Style
    Judo and HEMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I am not charging people for the knowledge I have gained from being in violent prone areas and situations . I give it away:
    1. Pay attention
    2. don't be an asshole .
    3. Never puff out your chest, push or talk ****. Just go when it's time. Lions don't tell antelope when they are going to eat them for a reason.
    4. Learn to shoot and draw well.


    If I charge for a seminar it would be on my verified ability as a Team Balance Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Blackbelt and competitor.
    So you are with Team Balance? Sweet.
    That would be worth some money to train with you. As I have repeatedly stated, I can't speak to their physical skills as I have never crossed hands with any of them or seen any of the people in question crossing hands. That said, I do own several of Rory's books and have read much of what Marc has written on the subject of violence. I will say that their theoretical understanding and ability to articulate useful concepts matches my reality and as such I believe they have useful advice.

    If your physical skills are such that it would not be worth it for you to train with them, then don't. I am not their spokesperson and it isn't my job to sell their stuff. I was originally just trying to bring some perspective to this discussion that seems to have gotten off on a tangent. Partly my fault for defending a friend on this when, really, I am mostly friends with them through electronic medium, not actual physical interaction, so I can't speak to it.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure how these guys are relative to the subject of the thread, but anyway someone said Dameon MAcleod should be invited to join in, might try and ask him. Won't hold my breath though..

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    528
    Style
    ninpo nusubito, arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Additionally, and this seems to be a point that gets missed a LOT around here, martial arts is NOT self defense, is NOT justified use of force, is NOT any of several other aspects of violence that make it more complicated than just "I can kick that dudes ass therefore his opinion doesn't matter". Which is how Rayce is coming off here.
    I beg to differ. martial arts is just a tool of social control, predicated on the skills of being good at applying and surviving violence. martial arts CAN BE self-defense, CAN BE justified use of force; it just needs to play by the rules (laws).

    that's why rayce has something to stand on. your justified shooting can't be justified if your skills in shooting a gun is ineffective. the equivalent of shooting a gun effectively in unarmed violence is having a ko strike/techniques or sinking a submission hold. that's the problem many aliveness proponents see in the purported RBSD folks: they are taking money to teach squad tactics and ambush drills when their competency in the gun range is still unverified.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, no reply or appearance here from Dameon Macleod . . . .


    Found some parodies of him though lol. seems he's been annoying a lot of people with his crap






Page 5 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in