Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Judging by his other choice in martial arts I would bet he trains Western sword in a bullshit fashion as well. HEMA has a lot of variety in the terms of how seriously contact is taken. If the man is doing dog brothers style **** thats definitely a thing to be considered but I doubt it.
    Unless the man has a bokken or sword with him it really doesn't have tons to do with H2H, does it?
    Anything light enough to lift and heavy enough to do damage is a weapon. That said, I am not sure what he is doing with regards to WMA or any of the other martial arts. I WILL speak for his crime awareness and avoidance and his general psychological approach to self defense. A lot of his experiences mirror my own in terms of growing up in fairly rough neighborhood and around people where "use violence to solve everyday conflicts and problems" is the default setting and "call the police" is an afterthought if at all. From that perspective, and other perspectives, he gives a LOT of good advice for crime avoidance, de-escalation, and smart survival strategies.

Once again, I cannot comment on his physical skills as I have never crossed hands with him and have never seen him cross hands with anyone.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Anything light enough to lift and heavy enough to do damage is a weapon. That said, I am not sure what he is doing with regards to WMA or any of the other martial arts. I WILL speak for his crime awareness and avoidance and his general psychological approach to self defense. A lot of his experiences mirror my own in terms of growing up in fairly rough neighborhood and around people where "use violence to solve everyday conflicts and problems" is the default setting and "call the police" is an afterthought if at all. From that perspective, and other perspectives, he gives a LOT of good advice for crime avoidance, de-escalation, and smart survival strategies.

Once again, I cannot comment on his physical skills as I have never crossed hands with him and have never seen him cross hands with anyone.
    His bullshit book titles really turn me off and then his bullshit arts do the rest.

I will say people that have not spent time around the predatory type of people seem to often be completely oblivious to basic "awareness techniques" that are needed in dangerous situations. Those sorts of things are much better techniques for not getting hurt than anything else.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    His bullshit book titles really turn me off and then his bullshit arts do the rest.

I will say people that have not spent time around the predatory type of people seem to often be completely oblivious to basic "awareness techniques" that are needed in dangerous situations. Those sorts of things are much better techniques for not getting hurt than anything else.
    That's fair. Marketing bullshit is a huge turnoff to legit MA"s, but keep in mind it works on the rubes and they outnumber us in terms of book sales.

That said, his advice is solid. I have known him and his wife Dianna somewhat for several years and she is a former newspaper editor with a low BS threshold herself.
    There are a LOT of things that LOOK like BS in what he is doing because a LOT of the current and recent crop of BS artists spent their time copying Marc with their stuff.
    It's like the difference between one of those places that claims to teach Judo and Jujitsu on the sign, and a real Machado lineage school run by one of his black belts.

On the surface, it may look the same, but once you show up for the training, it's a whole different kettle of fish.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's fair. Marketing bullshit is a huge turnoff to legit MA"s, but keep in mind it works on the rubes and they outnumber us in terms of book sales.

That said, his advice is solid. I have known him and his wife Dianna somewhat for several years and she is a former newspaper editor with a low BS threshold herself.
    There are a LOT of things that LOOK like BS in what he is doing because a LOT of the current and recent crop of BS artists spent their time copying Marc with their stuff.
    It's like the difference between one of those places that claims to teach Judo and Jujitsu on the sign, and a real Machado lineage school run by one of his black belts.

On the surface, it may look the same, but once you show up for the training, it's a whole different kettle of fish.
    Yea..... wouldn't want to have a rapist for an black belt instructor ,endorse systema, give belts to people with no rolling and Have Rigan Machado written on the sign....

I get the point you were trying to make though.

Style
    ninpo nusubito, arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marc has regretted ever bringing up the concept ever since, but I can tell you that unless they are associated with these guys: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

Anyone using the Alpha/Beta modeling for marketing is likely trying to mislead you about their abilities for money.
    Maybe. I won't argue with the martial skills part as I have never crossed hands with him, BUT several people whose opinions I trust, including Rory Miller and Kris Wilder definitely would vouch for him. Now as for his experience, well here is a link to his CV. Verify any of it you wish to.
    https://marcmacyoung.com/CV.htm

well, the guy on the left is associated and vouches for mr. macyoung (bearded guy is marc macyoung himself).

note: one of marc macyoung's books changed my martial arts life by making me aware that bullshido exists, long before i even knew about bsddotnet. i respect the man, but i don't swallow everything he says or writes.

i really don't like this vouching stuff, just makes one or both parties gain credibility through words. soke councils use the same method as well. if they have something good to offer, it will stand out with one's own actions, no need to vouch.

this macleod somehow uses the same trick, bandying key words to make the unsuspecting public believe that he "gets" it. but his actions speak volumes with those in the know that he's just shittin.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_cart View Post

this macleod somehow uses the same trick, bandying key words to make the unsuspecting public believe that he "gets" it. but his actions speak volumes with those in the know that he's just shittin.
    This is what I noticed. He uses a lot of 'key words' in his marketing and videos, and obviously has some pretty expensive software which he uses to distract the viewer from what he is actually doing. He has a video of him demonstrating his 'skillz' on a stationary hologram of Conor Mcgregor FFS, but has never from I can see, demonstrated anything on an actual person, heavy bag, or anything other than air.

His 'Ninja Cardio' videos are also a laugh, it's so obvious that he has learned his sword 'skills' from watching movies and anime, but makes the most fundamental mistakes. All fine if he was just in it for fun, but he's trying to make money from this crap... and people are buying into his B.S.

I think it's the overt arrogance that gets me the most though.

I did a bit more digging and it seems like a few people are onto him on Youtube at least. Here are just 3 examples of how he handles people simply asking him (almost always politely at first) what his actual qualifications are, people only seem to start giving him **** when he responds aggressively to even simple questions . . . . it was seeing stuff like this that peaked my curiosity and why I decided to look at him more closely;

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you think 0 or 1 people have called him "Alpha Wolf"?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Do you think 0 or 1 people have called him "Alpha Wolf"?
    Considering he is a one man wolf pack? I would say 1 person has. That is of course if he counts towards the total.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have one question: Is he a Teen Wolf fan?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder if he would respond to an invitation to this thread? He is quite aggressive on YouTube comments but maybe a private message would do it.

Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last