Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I still think your actual skill level is much more important than the hours you have spent to get there.
    For example you have spent 200 hours training Muay Thai under the best MT instructor on the planet, but have ZERO fights. How do you expect to train students to fight when you have never been in the ring as an amature or professional, instead just sparred under medium contact and done pad and bag work?

You can't, you just switched a reality/evidence based martial art with a faith based martial art and are starting down the path of bullshit.

I like the idea of logging your time. I don't like the idea of someone else looking at that log as anything other than a metric to gauge how quickly you learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    For example you have spent 200 hours training Muay Thai under the best MT instructor on the planet, but have ZERO fights. How do you expect to train students to fight when you have never been in the ring as an amature or professional, instead just sparred under medium contact and done pad and bag work?

You can't, you just switched a reality/evidence based martial art with a faith based martial art and are starting down the path of bullshit.

I like the idea of logging your time. I don't like the idea of someone else looking at that log as anything other than a metric to gauge how quickly you learn.
    Nobody in MT should teach without fights - this is why the very few places which officially certify Muay Thai instruction somewhat legitimately, (such as https://www.muaythai-institute.com/maemai ) require a prerequisite of 30 professional fights and 10 years of experience training muay thai before you can even take the highest level instructor certification course. This would be a CV and that's just about it - useful for the same things a CV is and useless for all of those things a CV is not useful for. It's not a substitute for skill, fights, experience, etc. but it has real potential as a tool to explain your martial arts training history and to examine it better yourself.

Great input as always!

V/R

Myn

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone have any propositions as to the potential form of a record like this?

Thanks!

V/R

Myn

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My stick/knife fighting teacher required us to record the amount of round we did that were under certain conditions. For example, full contact stick vs full contact knife vs full contact espada y daga. And then we would further sub categorize if it was full contact vs sparring and then further if grappling was allowed or stand up only and if empty hand striking was allowed. So we had all these different categories and you had to have a certain amount of rounds before moving on to the next thing. Training time was irrelevant. You couldn't start training in the next thing unless you had a certain amount of round in something and you were competent in the rounds.

No belts, no certs, no cool shirts, no nifty titles. But lots of fun and bruises.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training Time Certification Form

I am still not sure what this thread is about and what the certification is???

Style
    Mma Bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well what you can suggest to the instructor is to give you a certificate of witness. A signed document which states the time you spent in his school. Not a rank but more a validation of your training hours, months and or years there. Or you can make the document and ask him to fill in the time youve spend in his school. And ask him to sign it, many instructors and coaches are very bussy people. Some people i know give a kind of rank system they do, after 6 months mma level 1, after twelve level 2, and so on. So the level number is more a validation of experience in the school. Many options, just talk to your instructor many he is open for it.

Style
    Mma Bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Myn View Post
    Hello everyone,

I wanted to post this as an open question to anyone who might have any ideas for the structure of a form for verifying training hours under a particular instructor for a particular discipline. A semi-formal form which could serve as verification of training time (in hours, months, years, etc.) which could be accepted as verification of training, or for personal record-keeping purposes as not all Martial Arts have a ranking system, and outside of professional/amateur fights there aren't many ways to verify time spent in the art. Ideally, I'd picture it as something that is legit enough to pass any scrutiny and which could be used as a legitimate proof of time trained, (for example, something to bring to a new instructor if you have have to transfer gyms frequently due to travelling so your instructor at least gets a decent idea of how long you've trained and under whom).

Sorry if this sounds like a useless request, but as I move and travel frequently and have to change gyms accordingly with my new location (coming back to old gyms as I move back to those locations) it would help me, at least, with keeping track of hours trained as I go.

Thanks everyone for your time and consideration,

V/R

Myn
    Well what you can suggest to the instructor is to give you a certificate of witness. A signed document which states the time you spent in his school. Not a rank but more a validation of your training hours, months and or years there. Or you can make the document and ask him to fill in the time youve spend in his school. And ask him to sign it, many instructors and coaches are very bussy people. Some people i know give a kind of rank system they do, after 6 months mma level 1, after twelve level 2, and so on. So the level number is more a validation of experience in the school. Many options, just talk to your instructor many he is open for it.

Style
    Kendo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If all you need to do is track the hours you have trained for your own use, then just make a log book.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Merged - one from Phys forum, one from MMA forum.
    Thanks, Sub! I appreciate the clarification as to which was the proper place for this question!

V/R

Myn

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last