Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bare-knuckle boxing going mainstream?

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/story/_...-go-mainstream

Neat article. Discusses the burgeoning legitimacy of bare-knuckle boxing through a UK organization called BNB.

The author touches on the history of bare-knuckle in the UK, going from a gangster-run circuit with fights in backyards, to sanctioned events.

BNB maintains that bare-knuckle boxing is safer than conventional gloved boxing. I've heard this topic discussed before on the Joe Rogan podcast. What say the veteran full-contact fighters? Do we have any bullies with bare-knuckle experience?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read plenty of articles about how the long low guard and fencing-esque stance are superior for the ruleset, and I've played around with it in sparring. I've come to prefer a higher, tighter guard.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've read plenty of articles about how the long low guard and fencing-esque stance are superior for the ruleset, and I've played around with it in sparring. I've come to prefer a higher, tighter guard.
    What's your opinion on gloves vs no-gloves?

My own limited experience makes me lean toward the high/tight guard as well. Perhaps I haven't studied enough body and head movement to compensate for the low guard.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My not-really-experienced opinion is that, without gloves, people couldn't really spar that hard during training, even if matches were very hard.
    so I have big doubts about the style that comes from bareknuckle.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    My not-really-experienced opinion is that, without gloves, people couldn't really spar that hard during training, even if matches were very hard.
    so I have big doubts about the style that comes from bareknuckle.
    I don't see why you couldn't spar with modern MMA gloves and compete and condition bare knuckled, that is what we did.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    What's your opinion on gloves vs no-gloves?

My own limited experience makes me lean toward the high/tight guard as well. Perhaps I haven't studied enough body and head movement to compensate for the low guard.
    Back in Kentucky we did a bit of bare knuckle conditioning and BNB training for "self defense". I tend to have a high guard as well, but that is due to my depth perception without my glasses and while I love getting punched in the face I would much rather like to have my hands/arms in the way when possible.

Gloves are an extremely important part of training, especially when sparring, you don't want bust, black, bruise, cut or get cut accidentally neither your hands nor your face. I have not been able to hit anything imobile with full strength and proper technique without gloves since I learned how to actually punch. Even when my hands were well conditioned ... so I feel as if wraps and/or gloves will always be a very important part any striking system that hits hards... but I am no professional. There may be some tricks or methods I am aware of but that is my opinion.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 8/08/2017 9:52pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    MMA,BJJ, Gongkwon Yusul
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure lethwei (myanmar's version of muay thai) train for bare-knuckle fights with gloves on(at least, according to the one documentary I was able to find). The training benefits just seem to outweigh whatever disadvantages they confer in terms of realism. Or maybe it's because not all their fights are bare-knuckle.

That said I can imagine a number of reasons a high guard may not be as important bare-knuckle as with gloves, maybe the low guard is actually better if you are practiced with it, The universality of the low guard prior to modern gloved combat sports does suggest that we're missing something. I'd be very curious to see how the bare-knuckle scene develops. I do worry it won't develop enough of its own style due to extensive cross-competition in gloved boxing sports, in which case we won't get to see.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever doing stick fighting, I had to change my game plan significantly from how I boxed before. Since we use minimal gloves and padding, you want to spend way less time getting hit and focus more on footwork and evasion. We like to practice BNB for when the sticks get knocked away. After taking a bunch of whacks on the arms with knuckles, I started keeping my hands out in front more to just interfere and absorb the bunches. Rather than taking them on my arms. I also keep my hands moving more like I do when stick and knife fighting. But the primary focus was either on footwork to evade getting punched at all or when delivering punches, getting in and striking then out of range quickly, like you would in fencing. Unless clinch and takedowns are allowed, in which it is getting in, delivering blows and then clinching immediately.

Just my experience.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.