Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Shut your dirty whore mouth. You lived in Wichita Falls.

    We have fishing and hunting too! Just none of that God's country beautiful landscape. For that, I am truly envious.

    You see my avatar? Sparsely add some hair and that's me. You see me running around your area you'll know I couldn't take it anymore. Do have an anytime invite back to Montana or Colorado for an extended stay.
    Let me know if you make it this way, I'll take you to the liquor store and let you buy me some Rye...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #12
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Yep. We are pretty well set up here. Hopefully we don't need it.
    I mean, fracing in to a seismic fault line... What could possibly go wrong with that plan...
    Hey, doesn't that sort of thing mitigate larger quakes at a later date ?

    Gotta keep those faults lubricated or too much pressure builds up.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #13
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarJoe View Post
    Lost power for 4hours. It is good to have your house halfway down a hill. Joe
    You are a tough old Marine, I figured the temblors avoided you at all costs...

    Glad to hear you didn't end up in Oz !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    158
    Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Hey, doesn't that sort of thing mitigate larger quakes at a later date ?

    Gotta keep those faults lubricated or too much pressure builds up.
    I'm gonna read sarcasm tags in to this and just say, sure, yeah, cause that's how fault lines work...
    <rolls eyes>

  5. #15
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    I'm gonna read sarcasm tags in to this and just say, sure, yeah, cause that's how fault lines work...
    <rolls eyes>
    Go ask Dr. Bregman, he is a geophysicist...tell him Ben Reinhardt told you to ask him, and says "hello" from beautiful Idaho, LOL!

    Anyway, pressure builds up on fault. The pressure releases, wa-la, earthquake.

    Theoretically, it's better to release that pressure gradually instead of letting it build up and go mostly at once. So if you could lubricate the fault zone, and get it to slip a little, instead of a lot...

    Get the picture?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    437
    Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like the states is the only place in the world tornados are frequent. Does insurance cover for them? Do most houses have a basement to hold up in or do people just drive away as fast as they can?

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    158
    Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolutely, but that isn't how fracking works. What they do is, they go ahead and drill one side of the fault, which, instead of releasing the pressure actually compromises the structure on one side of the plate, this can lead to not only increased seismic activity but also can cause a structural collapse on one side of the fault, leading to a slippage. Can you say sinkholes that could eat small towns? Cause we have already had a couple eat some buildings.

    Because they aren't drilling both sides of the fault equally with the correct intent, and are in fact back flooding the holes, there is no way that an argument can be made that this is a helpful thing. It is however, and economic necessity as our state is about to run out of money.

    Martin should be back from Montana this week, so if he comes in Saturday I will ask him about it to be sure, but we had this discussion a while back. He climbs WAY too many mountains these days. Goes every summer now instead of every other.

  8. #18
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Seems like the states is the only place in the world tornados are frequent. Does insurance cover for them? Do most houses have a basement to hold up in or do people just drive away as fast as they can?
    Tornadoes are not common all over the USA. I used to live in Tornado Alley, as it's called, in Texas. Tulsa, Oklahoma is also in Tornado Alley...




    Some houses have basements (I never lived in one, though). Some houses, most often farmhouses, would have a storm shelter that doubled as a root cellar, or probably more the other way around.

    As I'm from the generation that was scared to death of the commies dropping a-h bombs on the US, quite a few houses had real fallout shelters.

    Other than that, you get into an inside room with a closet, or maybe the bathtub and throw a mattress over yourself...

    Driving a way is a possibility if you see it coming, but if the storm is after dark, not a good idea. Even if you can see the tornado, there has to be a road headed away from it's path, though...

    My hometown (Wichita Falls)...no, I wasn't there, I was in Houston visiting my Dad on spring break from high school.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_R...rnado_outbreak





    Then there was the one in 1964, when I was 2 years old. My Mom told me she stood in the back yard with me in her arms and watched this one. I think she even took a photo of it...
    Dig the clothing and old cars...that oval window VW bug...

    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in