Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is curious to me in US politics is how rigidly people stick to their party. Winning elections involves swaying a very small pool of undecideds and getting the vote out amongst your party. Canadian people are much less rigid, we tend to throw out governments wholesale after they get that 3 term stench.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    What is curious to me in US politics is how rigidly people stick to their party. Winning elections involves swaying a very small pool of undecideds and getting the vote out amongst your party. Canadian people are much less rigid, we tend to throw out governments wholesale after they get that 3 term stench.
    Different system. You guys are just as entrenched in your political beliefs as anybody else.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Different system. You guys are just as entrenched in your political beliefs as anybody else.
    I've voted both liberal and conservative federally over the years, and several parties provincially. I'm not unusual, so I think you're wrong but I have no hard data to hand. It would be interesting to see how often US voters vary the party they vote for vs Canadian.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally appreciate the parallels made to Italian government. It's one way to try and understand the present.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've voted both liberal and conservative federally over the years, and several parties provincially. I'm not unusual, so I think you're wrong but I have no hard data to hand. It would be interesting to see how often US voters vary the party they vote for vs Canadian.
    Difference between liberals and conservatives in Canada is considerably different than liberal progressives here versus conservatives.

Canadian conservatism is for the most part middle of the road Democratic party stuff here.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So have I and millions of other people in the US. It would be too hard because you'd have to define which voting you are talking and how to compare. We have federal, local, city, county and presidential to name a few and the rules can vary wildly from state to state. It is different enough between our countries, it would be too hard of a time to lock down the proper variables to compare and contrast.

Also, you can't go by the presidential Election which is every 4 years and generalize it to our entire political process. People cross party lines all of the time here, it is just extremely polarizing when it comes to the Presidential election process. It is the biggest covered, but really the smallest when it comes to the states and their own rights. As you can see, Trump thought it was going to be like running his business and he gets blocked every step of the way. He can fire people in his cabinet, but he is angry because he has found out the states can say "NO" and trip him up all day long.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/10/2017 12:04pm at .

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Also, you can't go by the presidential Election which is every 4 years and generalize it to our entire political process.
    It seems to me that even Americans forget that we have elections every year-- not just the Presidential one every four. It's depressing that all the fervor of the 2016 election cycle will fizzle out by the time we get to flex our democratic muscles again.

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sure is one big difference: you guys elect many more positions than we do. We just elect school board, city council and mayor at the local level. Provincially MLAs, federally MPs, that's it.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think currently you'll hear quite a bit of "I'm over the "x" party." from both "sides".

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last