Page 4 of 4 First 1234
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    He's a solid grappler but mistakes are sometimes painful.

I Was trying to instruct how to do tani othoshi while sparring a student. After he failed to take me down with it a few times in a row from the proper position one time a while back .... I lossened up to tell him ,"slide diagonally to the rear....." just as I was half way through my sentence he cannon balled into my legs and popped my MCL.

**** definitely goes south sometimes.
    Yes, Tani Otoshi, as we've noted before, is an infamous knee and/or ankle destroyer. Reason is same I'm very careful as to whom I teach it to and how. I've seen way too many "cannonballs" in my time.

[oldmanvoice]yessiree bob, back in MY day you had to be a black belt (at least) to even whisper "Tani Otoshi", let alone be initiated into it's arcane secrets.[/oldmanvoice]
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I'm guessing that his leg got tangled up and ripped his ankle joint and or muscles in his calf. Tani Otoshi will do that to a fellow if done incorrectly, even once.

Uki/Yoko Otoshi can do the same if you catch the foot and pin it to the ground.

And then there is Yoko Gake...
    I was walking a student through yoko wakare, and doing things slowly. Instead of taking the throw, and pushing himself through the ukimi for the demonstration, he just dropped on me. almost 200 pounds, concentrated in his knee, hit the side of my shin. I was surprised it didn't break.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    I've taught my wife some self defense techniques over the years. As time went on, we became pretty casual and playful about it. We sort of play a gentle game of "Inspector Clouseau and Kato".

One day, I leapt out at her and she punched me in the throat. It wasn't much of a punch, really; more like she stiff-armed me in the Adam's apple with her fist. However, I stopped dead in my tracks with that classic gagging sound from the movies when some mook gets jabbed in the throat.

It was a proud moment.
    I do a kind of that Clouseau/Kato playing-around with my 12-year-old son. He has never wanted to train formally, yet enjoyed rough-housing with me, so I slowly taught him to cover up, block, evade, leg-check and do very basic straight punching, first slowly, like crappy chi sao+boxing, then progressively faster. A few weeks ago, while watching a movie, he started throwing at me, and when I playfully tried to grapple him onto the bed, he back-elbowed me in the mouth and cut my lower lip very badly. Everyone freaked out, but thankfully it did not turn him off from keeping it up.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    This was entirely my fault but one time back when I was teaching Aikido I accidentally punched a kid in the nose.
    A while back, doing some friendly dojo-visiting I one broke two noses in quick succession just by jabbing.
    Another time I got irritated at a young guy who keep sidestepping me and generally trying to avoid all contact and floored him with a haishu-uchi that I aimed at his cheek yet broke his nose.

Of course, a guy I was helping teach broke my nose with a reverse punch that knocked me unconscious back when I was 21 or so, and I consider it an important lesson I had to learn. Wish I had learned it well, however.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Aren't mishaps like this at least somewhat common? I just take for granted that the unintentional "bumps and bruises" are part of the proverbial package, given the constant physical contact.

I took a Thai boxing style kick to my shin about three weeks ago, as the result of a failed sweep.

I let out an instinctual growl as I glared at my partner with a equal parts pain, anger and betrayal. I could tell instantly by the look on his face that it was unintentional and that he felt really bad about having dealt that shot.
    Sure. I have taken far more blows during training than I ever did in actual matches. I lost half a tooth from a kick. Got over a dozen stitches in my face over a period of five years. Got busted knees, clavicle, rib, etc. But these were with training partners. It is part of the deal.

The instances where a student is the one who busts your face are different.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I'm guessing that his leg got tangled up and ripped his ankle joint and or muscles in his calf. Tani Otoshi will do that to a fellow if done incorrectly, even once.

Uki/Yoko Otoshi can do the same if you catch the foot and pin it to the ground.

And then there is Yoko Gake...
    I was walking a student through yoko wakare, and doing things slowly. Instead of taking the throw, and pushing himself through the ukimi for the demonstration, he just dropped on me. almost 200 pounds, concentrated in his knee, hit the side of my shin. I was surprised it didn't break.

Page 4 of 4 First 1234