Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    We both know that's not happening. Politics win over combat effectiveness, even at the height of WWII.
    That's pretty much been status quo for much of human history.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So obviously Mattis knows a lot more about these things than I do...but I feel like echoing what some of the people here have said. Does cancelling classes on stress management and sexual harassment really seem like a good idea?
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread or if it should go into the Trump master thread. I'll put it here. Sorry if I picked the wrong thread.

Trump to reinstate US military ban on transgender people

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he plans to reinstate the ban transgender individuals from serving "in any capacity" in the US armed forces.
    The decision reversed a policy initially approved by the Defense Department under President Barack Obama, which was still under final review, that would allow transgender individuals to openly serve in the military. Defense Secretary James Mattis announced last month that he was delaying enactment of the plan to begin allowing transgender individuals to join the US military.

"After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military," Trump said in a series of tweets Wednesday morning. "Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail."

"Thank you," he added.

Ash Carter, the Defense secretary under Obama, ended the ban on transgender people serving openly in the military in 2016, but allowed for a year-long review process to allow the Pentagon to determine how it would accept new transgender recruits into the military.

On the eve of that one-year deadline, Mattis announced that he was delaying the implementation of the new policy, saying he needed more time.
    "Since becoming the Secretary of Defense, I have emphasized that the Department of Defense must measure each policy decision against one critical standard: will the decision affect the readiness and lethality of the force?" Mattis said in a memo late last month. "Put another way, how will the decision affect the ability of America's military to defend the nation? It is against this standard that I provide the following guidance on the way forward in accessing transgender individuals into the military Services."

A 2016 Rand Corp. study commissioned by the Defense Department concluded that letting transgender people serve openly would have a "minimal impact" on readiness and health care costs, largely because there are so few in the military's 1.3 million-member force.

The study put the number of transgender people in the military between 1,320 and 6,630. Gender-change surgery is rare in the general population, and the RAND study estimated the possibility of 30 to 140 new hormone treatments a year in the military, with 25 to 130 gender transition-related surgeries among active service members. The cost could range from $2.4 million and $8.4 million, an amount that would represent an "exceedingly small proportion" of total health care expenditures, the study found.

Source:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/26/politi...der/index.html
    Well if you look at military regs a persons with various pre-existing conditions that will require surgery are not eligible for enlistment. As someone who lost an appointment to a military academy over an underbite, I can say I am conflicted. Feel sorry for the people, but it also seems horribly unfair that someone with a genetic issue such as an underbite can't get in, but someone who wants elective surgery to transition from male to female(costs a lot more than underbite correction) can, or well could. In all seriousness if my underbite could, should I decide to use military insurance to have corrective surgery, be a burden and disruption of service that is disqualifying, how is transgender and thus gender transition not.

Style
    boxing, gjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    So obviously Mattis knows a lot more about these things than I do...but I feel like echoing what some of the people here have said. Does cancelling classes on stress management and sexual harassment really seem like a good idea?
    It didn't say they were cancelling those classes, just spending less time on them. I'd be curious what any military people here say on this and their experience with classes like this.

I once worked at a company that got pretty PC, and in the 5 years I was there we only had 1 8-hour mandatory class on sexual harassment. It was plenty. By only mandating one class, it allowed us to spend more time actually working and taking technical classes related to the job. That's what the military said here, they need to spend less time on nonsense not related to their jobs and more time at places like rifle ranges.
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    . That's what the military said here, they need to spend less time on nonsense not related to their jobs and more time at places like rifle ranges.
    Look at you! Not saying dumb **** for once.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really get the whole transgender issue in the military. Seems, to me that everyone is wearing BDUs most of the time any way. So how do you know a transgender in BDUs and combat boots from a hetero in BDUs and combat boots? I've worked with lots of gays of both genders. You usually can't tell the difference between a lesbian who dresses like a guy and a hetero female who is just cutting her hair short for the sake of being easier to get into uniform in the morning. So, I don't really see one, where it would be an issue and two, how you would even know someone is transgender unless they tell you (when they are in uniform).
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    boxing, gjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Look at you! Not saying dumb **** for once.
    Miracles do happen. ;)
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I don't really get the whole transgender issue in the military. Seems, to me that everyone is wearing BDUs most of the time any way. So how do you know a transgender in BDUs and combat boots from a hetero in BDUs and combat boots? I've worked with lots of gays of both genders. You usually can't tell the difference between a lesbian who dresses like a guy and a hetero female who is just cutting her hair short for the sake of being easier to get into uniform in the morning. So, I don't really see one, where it would be an issue and two, how you would even know someone is transgender unless they tell you (when they are in uniform).
    I think they are talking about folks that want the surgery ,the title (he or she)and meds. ,maybe?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to me that the US military is already an effective killing machine, with nonrelated issues (ie sexual harassment) pretty rampant. So, I disagree. I'd rather have a stress managed sildier living a healthy life rather than a guy trained entirely in war going postal. That's my 2 cents as a guy who's never been in the military.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Sounds like corporate America, where you drag all the employees through a course for everything under the sun, mostly to CYA. That said, the rate of sexual harrasment of women in the military is something like 100%, so I don't know if that's where I'd start the cutbacks.
    A valid observation on the CYA angle. At the same time, if harassment is approaching 100%, then the mandated courses are doing ****-all to correct the problem.

"I do TKD. It is the R3AL. Been doing it my whole life."
    "How many fights have you won with it?"
    "... None."
    "But you continue to practice?"
    "...Yeah."

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last