Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last
    Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Most judoka by time know enough for 8th dan can't perform at high level anymore, or at all, may be one difference.
    I've told this story before, but I trained with Haga Tadatoshi. You can see him in Kendo's Gruelling Challenge, the documentary ksennin linked to. He's the little guy in the big glasses who was coaching the older candidate. At the time he was 76 and I was 30. I not only couldn't hit him with technique, I couldn't physically move him with a body crash. At all, and I probably outweighed him by 50 pounds. I watched him play a series of guys for an hour or more, including young guys who were on our national team and some of the most senior instructors in Canada. Nobody could touch him.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I've told this story before, but I trained with Haga Tadatoshi. You can see him in Kendo's Gruelling Challenge, the documentary ksennin linked to. He's the little guy in the big glasses who was coaching the older candidate. At the time he was 76 and I was 30. I not only couldn't hit him with technique, I couldn't physically move him with a body crash. At all, and I probably outweighed him by 50 pounds. I watched him play a series of guys for an hour or more, including young guys who were on our national team and some of the most senior instructors in Canada. Nobody could touch him.
    Back when I could really still do Judo, I trained with some older guys who had the most phenomenal Judo...

As in I could not even stand up if they got a grip on me. Literally, paralyzing grips that could set my weight on my heels and I couldn't move.

Later, when I was better (a black belt), the same thing happened to me, except it was middle aged (as in 50s) MD in Houston, TX. Who apparently smoked cigarettes...

He would let you grip him however you wanted...dominant grip with sleeve control, no problem. Then he would let you move him however you wanted. Then he would lightly throw you for ippon however the **** he wanted.

I kid you not... he was my size (150 lbs), and tossed around 20 year old competitive black belts that had 30-40 lbs on him like they were white belt children.

I may sound like I'm bragging, but I'm the only one who ever blocked/escaped of his throws in randori. Because I relaxed and stopped trying to play dominant grip Judo.

Then there was Paul Maruyama at the OTC in Colorado Springs...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    No, it is Russian Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner...
    You're thinking of borscht.

Vodka is for washing down borscht.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    You're thinking of borscht.

Vodka is for washing down borscht.
    Yeah, but what do you wash the vodka down with??

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    More Vodka
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Comradeship.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "In Russia... Vodka washes YOU down!"

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    "In Russia... Vodka washes YOU down!"
    I finally got the answer to the question I have been asking since the second post of this thread...77

Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have made a similar challenge to Ramzan Kadyrov except that itīs turkish oil wrestling match AND absolutely no homo

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    You're thinking of borscht. Vodka is for washing down borscht.

Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last