Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last
  1. #71
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,049
    Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Most judoka by time know enough for 8th dan can't perform at high level anymore, or at all, may be one difference.
    I've told this story before, but I trained with Haga Tadatoshi. You can see him in Kendo's Gruelling Challenge, the documentary ksennin linked to. He's the little guy in the big glasses who was coaching the older candidate. At the time he was 76 and I was 30. I not only couldn't hit him with technique, I couldn't physically move him with a body crash. At all, and I probably outweighed him by 50 pounds. I watched him play a series of guys for an hour or more, including young guys who were on our national team and some of the most senior instructors in Canada. Nobody could touch him.

  2. #72
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I've told this story before, but I trained with Haga Tadatoshi. You can see him in Kendo's Gruelling Challenge, the documentary ksennin linked to. He's the little guy in the big glasses who was coaching the older candidate. At the time he was 76 and I was 30. I not only couldn't hit him with technique, I couldn't physically move him with a body crash. At all, and I probably outweighed him by 50 pounds. I watched him play a series of guys for an hour or more, including young guys who were on our national team and some of the most senior instructors in Canada. Nobody could touch him.
    Back when I could really still do Judo, I trained with some older guys who had the most phenomenal Judo...

    As in I could not even stand up if they got a grip on me. Literally, paralyzing grips that could set my weight on my heels and I couldn't move.

    Later, when I was better (a black belt), the same thing happened to me, except it was middle aged (as in 50s) MD in Houston, TX. Who apparently smoked cigarettes...

    He would let you grip him however you wanted...dominant grip with sleeve control, no problem. Then he would let you move him however you wanted. Then he would lightly throw you for ippon however the **** he wanted.

    I kid you not... he was my size (150 lbs), and tossed around 20 year old competitive black belts that had 30-40 lbs on him like they were white belt children.

    I may sound like I'm bragging, but I'm the only one who ever blocked/escaped of his throws in randori. Because I relaxed and stopped trying to play dominant grip Judo.

    Then there was Paul Maruyama at the OTC in Colorado Springs...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #73

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    No, it is Russian Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner...
    You're thinking of borscht.

    Vodka is for washing down borscht.

  4. #74
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    4,601
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    You're thinking of borscht.

    Vodka is for washing down borscht.
    Yeah, but what do you wash the vodka down with??

  5. #75
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,781
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Yeah, but what do you wash the vodka down with??
    More Vodka
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  6. #76

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Yeah, but what do you wash the vodka down with??
    Comradeship.

  7. #77

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    321
    Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "In Russia... Vodka washes YOU down!"

  8. #78

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    513
    Style
    Judo
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    "In Russia... Vodka washes YOU down!"
    I finally got the answer to the question I have been asking since the second post of this thread...77

  9. #79

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The Street
    Posts
    503
    Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have made a similar challenge to Ramzan Kadyrov except that itīs turkish oil wrestling match AND absolutely no homo

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,112
    Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    You're thinking of borscht. Vodka is for washing down borscht.

Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in