Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    I don't personally know many older Judo guys who are able to get out there and throw down, especially the ones who were competitive when they were younger, much like Putin. It's hard on your body and the little injuries all add up eventually
    It's been my experience that the old judoka are almost a cliché. They move a bit slower, nurse their accumulated injuries, and talk alot about being weak, broken down old men. Watching their nage komi doesn't look all that different from the videos I have seen of Vladimir Putin.

But, a few rounds of uchikomi with one of them will usually leave you bruised and sore, and you realize that their judo is The Real Deal ®, and many of those broken down old men could probably still serve up a big steaming bowl of hurt to someone if they were so inclined.

Beware of an old man in an endeavor where men usually perish young.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well... I first heard of Putin in '96 when Retuinskih of ROSS fame was excited that he took over the office of federal property administrator in Moscow, and was excited that a fellow Judoka was going to have say to his requests for facility usage with RETAL. Fast forward to '98 and Retuinskih(who was MoS in both Judo and Sambo) and was trying to get the FSB contract for combat Sambo instruction was excited as anything that a real Judoka and fellow MoS was now in charge of FSB. Then the Russians were all excited that a sportsman was running for the premiership of Russia.

So while I have seen any official Soviet era records of his Judo accomplishments, I have a lot of second hand reporting by people who were in a place to know.

Style
    Bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    It's been my experience that the old judoka are almost a cliché. They move a bit slower, nurse their accumulated injuries, and talk alot about being weak, broken down old men. Watching their nage komi doesn't look all that different from the videos I have seen of Vladimir Putin.

But, a few rounds of uchikomi with one of them will usually leave you bruised and sore, and you realize that their judo is The Real Deal ®, and many of those broken down old men could probably still serve up a big steaming bowl of hurt to someone if they were so inclined.

Beware of an old man in an endeavor where men usually perish young.
    Old man strength is a real thing. Seen plenty of videos of old boxers destroying some younger guys who think they are unstoppable. have rolled with plenty of guys 55+ and they sometimes have more energy/speed than younger people.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My money is on Putin.

I also find it terribly ironic an Akido and Taekwondo guy is saying Putin's Judo is unrealistic.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    My money is on Putin.

I also find it terribly ironic an Akido and Taekwondo guy is saying Putin's Judo is unrealistic.
    Nobody knows a circle-jerking compliant demonstration like an Aikidoka, so I think we have to take his criticism seriously.

Like, super serious.

Srsly
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Old man strength is a real thing. Seen plenty of videos of old boxers destroying some younger guys who think they are unstoppable. have rolled with plenty of guys 55+ and they sometimes have more energy/speed than younger people.
    I am very near 50 and I sometimes feel old man strength is all I have left now. The young guys at BJJ complained that my neck was so strong I could not be choked, that when they tried to hyperextend my arm in an armbar I would just use the tug to stand up and they could not stop it. I think however it is more that their technique sucks and I can pace my moments of resistance better. I can take kicks and punches with greater equanimity, sure, but that is just 20+ years of marriage being good training for enduring pain.

Because I used to be the guy who could take almost any fall and just bounce up, I used to participate a lot in local TMA demos. Seeing a fat bald guy do high-spinning head kicks also seemed to be inspiring for common joes. But about 3 years ago the years of back, knee and ankle injuries kinda caught up and made it hard to even walk without limping pathetically, and when I was last roped in to do a quick improvised demo at an event and saw the video afterwards I was horrified at how awful it was, clumsy and weak and slow and the sort of thing that this forum generally makes fun of. So I considered my showing off days over, rather too late, I confess.

So, sure, Putin looks like an older guy doing complaint drills, but hey, it looks better than what I can do now, so I'm not pointing fingers.
    Last edited by ksennin; 7/19/2017 8:45am at .

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People may have justification to complain about Mr. Putin's politics or his past actions as a KGB operative or world leader, but his Judo seems game enough.
    The author of the article should probably speak about Aikido and Tae Kwon Do, and leave the Judo commentary to the Judokas.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    People may have justification to complain about Mr. Putin's politics or his past actions as a KGB operative or world leader, but his Judo seems game enough.
    The author of the article should probably speak about Aikido and Tae Kwon Do, and leave the Judo commentary to the Judokas.
    If people such as the author did things such as you suggest, we wouldn't have much to talk about around here.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    If people such as the author did things such as you suggest, we wouldn't have much to talk about around here.
    We talk too much, and I am among the blackest pots in the kettle pile.

Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last