Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard and read articles about wing chun not working but I'm looking for something close by but sadly all the bjj, muay Thai, boxing or mma are too far from my location. Wing chun is the closest to me.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advise.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    Also, what do you mean by useful and effective?
    Karate sparring is very sport oriented, and there's a few bad habits you'll pick up if you ever want to supplement it with a striking art with more contact.
    Honestly I'm just trying to soak up all the knowledge I can get. From what I can tell(based on everything I've read) the popular opinion is that May Thai, boxing, bjj, jusdo or just MMA is the best way to go if one truly wants to learn how to fight for self defense on the streets.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial Arts Fan, maybe the thing about Karate and other methods is less which method of combat training you are in but the quality of the training. Over the years, I've done a lot of looking at combative method across militaries of the 20th century. So much of what is in one school of training to deal with combat problem X (whatever X is) often looks like teaching from another school of training. Please consider freeing yourself from the question of what school, to objectively testing the quality of instruction.

I wish you well on your journey. The time passes quickly. I hope you find wonderful relationships along the way.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shito-ryu tends to be too devoted to kata. They stockpile them like HolyMoment accumulates used tissues. The founder was not satisfied to take in all the kata in all other styles, so he also invented a few more of his own. I have trouble even remembering even just the names of all the kata I should know after three decades of doing shito-ryu. Maybe the Hayashi branch is less obsessed, I dunno. If you like karate for exercise and tradition and looking cool and anything else that is not actual fighting, all the Shito-Ryu kata curriculum is ok.

If you want to learn to fight, go elsewhere.

Page 2 of 2 First 12