Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how to fight a mcdojo takeover?

i hope this is the right format for this post;

a member of a martial arts school i'm involved with wants to reduce the complexity of the curriculum and turn it into a mcdojo, focusing on conditioning and repetitious exercise, whereas the classes i run are focused on partner work and technique practice. i personally work with students to get them to a point of competence whereas the other instructor wants to manage a franchise. black belts in the club are repelled by this change and are leaving. students are leaving as a result.

what would you do to improve the problem? quitting is not really an option that i will consider. thanks for your input.

Style
    what style?
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shostakovitch View Post

a member of a martial arts school i'm involved with wants to reduce the complexity of the curriculum and turn it into a mcdojo, focusing on conditioning and repetitious exercise, whereas the classes i run are focused on partner work and technique practice. i personally work with students to get them to a point of competence whereas the other instructor wants to manage a franchise. black belts in the club are repelled by this change and are leaving. students are leaving as a result.

what would you do to improve the problem? quitting is not really an option that i will consider. thanks for your input.
    What do you teach and how do you teach it?
    What do the typical classes now involve?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    let's say it's a standup striking art. i personally teach technique drills with a partner, working up to sparring.

classes can involve conditioning, forms practice or the format i previously mentioned.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may want to be a bit more specific. Sometimes the guy who wants more fundamentals and conditioning is actually the one steering a dojo away from mcdojohood.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    understood. let me specify; the teaching method i'm describing is analogous to repetitious solo practice. like air punches or tae bo.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MABS ---------> YMAS . Wrong forum and welcome to Bullshido. If you wish to start a MABS thread, we will need specifics and names.
    If you want good solid advice without bullshit I will do my best to help moderate this thread in that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I would quit and go to a school that spars and competes.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    quitting and going to another school is something that will only benefit me, i spend my time in martial arts training others. at this time i'm unwilling to walk away.

Style
    what style?
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    understood. let me specify; the teaching method i'm describing is analogous to repetitious solo practice. like air punches or tae bo.
    So aerobic kickboxing...

IMO this is mcdojo stuff.

but i'm not really big on even shadow boxing.

What if you held pads for them instead and practised combos and techniques that way.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    quitting and going to another school is something that will only benefit me, i spend my time in martial arts training others. at this time i'm unwilling to walk away.
    Unless you are in a Management or Ownership position all you can really do is apply gentle pressure and communicate clearly with your students and the owner/management.

Your leadership role is either to lead the way and in the direction your manager/owners tell you to or lead your happy ass somewhere else. There is no way to stop the Mcdojoing or Bulllshidoing of an organization unless you are owner or manager.

Many many many BJJ gyms are McDojos but they 95% of the time have an excellent product. It sounds to me like you are doubting the product not just the management direction.

*edit*
    Quote Originally Posted by lant3rn View Post
    So aerobic kickboxing...

IMO this is mcdojo stuff.

but i'm not really big on even shadow boxing.

What if you held pads for them instead and practised combos and techniques that way.
    Teaching a striking art on the sign and Cardiowhatever-air striking in the inside is Bullshido because it is a lie.

Management and Business model stuff is McDojo.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 7/10/2017 2:01pm at .
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last