Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ancient Greek pankrationist wins by toehold, dies.

I've always liked history and came across this particular story in a coffee table book on Ancient Greek sports culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrhichion

Long story short, the pankrationist Arrhichion was caught in a choke by his opponent in a match, yet said opponent appears to have forgotten the BJJ 101 rule of Don't Cross Your Feet While Attempting RNCs. Arrhichion then broke his opponent's foot or toe, causing him to submit. Unfortunately, he then died shortly thereafter from the choke. While the mechanics involved are a bit sketchy (possibly a crushed trachea rather than blood choke), it is still a cool warstory of truly old-school submission wrestling.

There's a number of funny stories regarding Ancient Greek sports, another good one relating the tale of how a horseman's horse was declared the Olympic champion for winning the race after bucking off the rider, but the story of Arrhichion has always been my favourite, however unlikely it is.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the Greeks wouldn't lie to us,would they?

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    Well, the Greeks wouldn't lie to us,would they?
    No more than the Chinese, Japanese, or Koreans.

Doesn't anyone else find it odd that no one bothered to find out and record the name of the person who brought death to the most famous pancrationist in human history? Arrhichion apparently suffered from a Greek dim mak, and noone knows the name of the guy who obviously had t3h rheel pancration?

Arrichion was obviously killed by a ninja, and I'm using this as evidence to support my theory that all cultures have ninjas, and the ones in Japan just suck.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    No more than the Chinese, Japanese, or Koreans.

Doesn't anyone else find it odd that no one bothered to find out and record the name of the person who brought death to the most famous pancrationist in human history? Arrhichion apparently suffered from a Greek dim mak, and noone knows the name of the guy who obviously had t3h rheel pancration?

Arrichion was obviously killed by a ninja, and I'm using this as evidence to support my theory that all cultures have ninjas, and the ones in Japan just suck.
    But the Dim-mak guy still lost the game. Which is always the problem of Dim-mak: what is the point of a deadly technique if the opponent still has the time to beat you?

This is the reason I left the Dim-mak route and now work on Ki attacks and Kiai defense.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    But the Dim-mak guy still lost the game. Which is always the problem of Dim-mak: what is the point of a deadly technique if the opponent still has the time to beat you?

This is the reason I left the Dim-mak route and now work on Ki attacks and Kiai defense.
    The guy who lost walked with a limp for a few weeks, and the winner died.

This is a perfect illustration of sports being useless in a real fight.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what happens in sport:

Tappin' to leg locks is for pussies.

Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once in a turkish oil wrestling match my opponent died while supplexing me (for him it was very unfortunate that my foot was stuck knee deep into his ass - no homo)

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Losco View Post
    Once in a turkish oil wrestling match my opponent died while supplexing me (for him it was very unfortunate that my foot was stuck knee deep into his ass - no homo)
    So...you lost that match?

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    This is what happens in sport:

Tappin' to leg locks is for pussies.
    That leg is so fucked lol. Even Renzo would have tapped to that

Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    So...you lost that match?
    Yes - surgery was needed with the "leg/ass issue" and unfortunately it resulted to opponents death

Page 1 of 2 12 Last