Style
    Muay Thai/Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Side Control Transitions

So I've just started BJJ around 6 months ago, I've only attended no-gi classes so far, my question was, at my gym, when we're rolling, we usually start in side control. (Yes we do occasionally start on our knees, or on each others backs etc.) and i was wondering what transitions i could do from the top position. I usually just slide into a mount, but that becomes predictable, and the other guy will eventually catch on. i just need a handful of transitions i could pull off from here, just as foundations to work off.

(I understand this could possibly be the wrong thread for this, i didn't know whether this fit for the criteria for adv grappling considering i'm a three stripe white belt, so feel free to move this to a separate section).

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Especially in no-gi, there are a limited amount of submissions from mount, but it's a dominant position. I like side. I'd work on getting really comfortable at side, making sure you can hold them down. Make them want to tap with shoulder pressure, and even if they know what you're going to do, get your technique so solid that they still can't stop you. Generate enough pressure that they're practically begging you to do your pass into mount...

And of course whatever your instructor is telling you. I try to create enough pressure in other areas that they're more concerned about relieving that, than blocking my pass into mount.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kesa and KOB are your friends.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Switching to the other side in addition to the above.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    North south, scarf, reverse scarf, knee on belly, S mount, reverse mount, crucifix, face slide, gift wrap....

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can take the back from side control too, especially if they start to turn away from you.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tons of choices, but sliding around to north south is a super easy option to allow for various arm attacks. It works great in no gi. Obviously, the list that Omega threw out sets up tons of different stuff. But just getting comfortable transitioning around your opponent and maintaining good topside control with no gaps should be a priority.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would start learning 3 or 4 techniques to move to mount from side control, and then perfect them. Nothing wrong with being predictably unstoppable.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omoplatypus View Post
    I would start learning 3 or 4 techniques to move to mount from side control, and then perfect them. Nothing wrong with being predictably unstoppable.
    By the way, welcome back !

To avoid ban-hammer, I would add that the OP instructor should be able to give him multiple drills for moving around opponent and maintaining pressure. Be sure to ask!

I've also noticed in my BJJ class that the such movements seem to be always taught in the context of a submission rather than practiced alone, as is more common in Judo.

To me, it would make sense to work on that sort of general mobility, especially for the more nonathletic students.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jason Scully's invisible jiu jitsu DVD set is good because one of the things it covers really well is positional transitions.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence