Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Gaining size

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Welp, thanks for ruining the whole thread with all this reasonable advice. We could have gone on for pages to finally get all of this but you hashed it out in one post.

So instead, I'll tell you how it took me years to come to all of these same conclusions. When I first went to college I was about 170lbs with a 29 inch waist at 5'11". I walked onto the Rugby team and they made me a Flanker but the coach told me I needed to gain some weight. So I started lifting, eating everything in sight, and drinking gallons of beer. By the time I graduated college I was 225lbs, was benching 505lbs and squatting the same.

Then I worked in various bouncing jobs, jails, prisons, and the street. I started having some bad shoulder pain and the Ortho ended up telling me to switch to less weight or I was going to need shoulder surgery. By this time I was 250lbs but looked like butterbean. So, I started watching inmates workout just because I was working the rec yard everyday so there wasn't much else going on. I checked the guys who were the biggest with the biggest arms to see what they were doing. None of them were on the weight pile. ALL of them were on the pullup and dip bar.

Fast forward about 10 years. I am about 215lbs. I can do 20 pullups which is up from about 3 when I started years ago. My arms are bigger than they have ever been. My waste smaller but chest, shoulders and back bigger. More than that though is I am healthy with minimal joint pain (other than my knee which I had surgery on after tearing my ACL and Meniscus stick fighting).

When I started reflecting on my journey I remembered back to the summer of my Freshman year in college. I was traveling all summer and couldn't get into a gym to lift. So I spent the summer doing pushups every other night. I did 4 sets of 25 pullups before I went to bed. When I showed back up to college all my friends thought I had been on steroids all summer. Wish I would have started pullups then and stuck with the calisthenics back then.

TL:DR: Do what WFMurphy said.
    Plus one for dips/pull/chinups. My teen judo students make great gains with those and other bodyweight exercises. And rope climbing...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This site is a great resource for looking at how to do a wide variety of exercises as well as read up on a lot of stuff you will want to know about.
    http://exrx.net/
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Hiatus. Moving new city.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't over think it. I would begin with Starting Strength until you can't progress any further then read Practical Programming for Strength Training for ideas. If you are younger, the Texas Method might work for you. I'm a little older, almost 40, so I have to cycle my programming (5/3/1 and the like). If I can share with you my mistake.... Don't waste years having workout ADD, program hopping, and feel like you have to try every workout on the internet. There will be no progress. That's what I did and wasted a few years. If only I could go back in time. Find something that works and stick with it. Happy lifting!

Page 2 of 2 First 12