Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Gaining size

Style
    Muay Thai/Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gaining size

I'm 5'11 and around 63kg (138 lbs) I've always been kinda been an ectomorphic body type, i'm 16 and everyone says i'll "fill out". should i just wait for that to happen (if it even does) or is there anything i should to broaden out? should i be focusing more on a carb filled diet? or more of an isometric exercise routine. I know this is probably a dumb question, lowkey prepping to be bent over and raped, but hey, ill take any advice.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stronglifts 5x5 three times a week. 140 grams of protein a day. +500kcal over what you currently use per day. Go ye forth.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bicep curls.

All day, every day.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    Muay Thai/Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Stronglifts 5x5 three times a week. 140 grams of protein a day. +500kcal over what you currently use per day. Go ye forth.
    Do you mean this? (h**ps://stronglifts.com/5x5)

With protein, do you mean in foods, or protein supplements? and lastly, any reliable way to calculate how many calories i use, in order to calorie count and add more to my diet?

(Can't post links yet so you'll have to mind the astrisk)

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corzer View Post
    I'm 5'11 and around 63kg (138 lbs) I've always been kinda been an ectomorphic body type, i'm 16 and everyone says i'll "fill out". should i just wait for that to happen (if it even does) or is there anything i should to broaden out? should i be focusing more on a carb filled diet? or more of an isometric exercise routine. I know this is probably a dumb question, lowkey prepping to be bent over and raped, but hey, ill take any advice.
    I was 5'11 and 138lbs at age 17, competing at 140lbs in wrestling in that year.
    I boxed and competed in Judo at around 160lbs in my early twenties.
    And I did shootfighting, and BJJ competitions at between 160lbs to 165lbs as my twenties progressed with a very, very low body fat percentage, and gaining another inch of height.
    These were always my natural weights, with much combat sport drilling and sparring,
    and body weight exercises such as dips, pull ups, push ups, and core exercises.

You can do some power lifting if you want some Western style chest muscles.
    or bodybuild if you want some toned muscles, again to mostly justify a little vanity to your ego.
    Olympic style lifting will make you legitimately strong, not real deal farm boy strong, but will help you get as close as your genetics will allow.

I would not worry too much about it.
    Combat sport training will give you some hand to hand self defense skills if the need arises.
    And girls seem to prefer men who can hold a conversation, know how to listen, know how to plan and execute an entertaining time together, and who have the courage to get out on the dance floor.

Be the best you that you can be, eat with moderation with your dietary vices, and exercise regularly (almost any type of regular exercise will do), and let your body take care of the rest.
    Confidence in oneself and what one has to offer starts in the mind, and develops from applying daily disciplines to acquire skill to build a consistent track record of making sure you make excellence a habit regarding what you put into your activities, whatever they may be.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 7/01/2017 9:15am at .

Style
    Muay Thai/Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    And I did shootfighting, and BJJ competitions at between 160lbs to 165lbs as my twenties progressed with a very, very low body fat percentage, and gaining another inch of height.
    These were always my natural weights, with much combat sport drilling and sparring,

or bodybuild if you want some toned muscles, again to mostly justify a little vanity to your ego.
    Olympic style lifting will make you legitimately strong, not real deal farm boy strong, but will help you get as close as your genetics will allow.

Combat sport training will give you some hand to hand self defense skills if the need arises.
    And girls seem to prefer men who can hold a conversation, know how to listen, know how to plan and execute an entertaining time together, and who have the courage to get out on the dance floor.

Be the best you that you can be, eat with moderation with your dietary vices, and exercise regularly (almost any type of regular exercise will do), and let your body take care of the rest.
    Confidence in oneself and what one has to offer starts in the mind, and develops from applying daily disciplines to acquire skill to build a consistent track record of making sure you make excellence a habit regarding what you put into your activities, whatever they may be.
    Holy **** dude thanks, i'll definitely take that all on board. I definitely gotta start jumping on the forums more.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy **** dude thanks, i'll definitely take that all on board. I definitely gotta start jumping on the forums more.
    No. Hop on the forums less. Go to real world training opportunities, and learn from qualified teachers with good integrity in any useful life skill that they are willing to teach you, that they are qualified to teach.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This is the best time in your life to build an athletic foundation.
    It is a great time to take all of that seriously, do NOT put it off if it is important to you.
    It will never come as easy as it does for you now.

Just be clear on your goals.
    I mean really clear, not "Oh I wanna be buff and ****.."
    Not all goals are complementary.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean this? (h**ps://stronglifts.com/5x5)

With protein, do you mean in foods, or protein supplements? and lastly, any reliable way to calculate how many calories i use, in order to calorie count and add more to my diet?

(Can't post links yet so you'll have to mind the astrisk)
    Firstly, here's the gift of a free Starting Strength pdf:

http://whitmatthews.com/ss.pdf

As far as I can tell the stronglifts program Ghost recommended is basically the same thing, but this book also has extensive information on form, which is really important. If you follow this program, eat enough and sleep enough you'll get bigger but also (more importantly IMO but you set your own priorities) stronger pretty quickly for a while. There will come a point at which the easy beginner gains run out and you can't keep increasing your lifts as fast as the program tells you; once your lower body lifts are increasing by less than 5kg per month I recommend you switch to 5/3/1:

http://upload.body-test.cz/forum/201...rwmghx0k1b.pdf

This will allow you to keep getting stronger and there are various versions you can do if your goal is size.

The recommended protein intake is one gram per pound of bodyweight. Getting all of that from protein shakes probably isn't a great idea so try and get most of it from food.

Honestly, getting bigger isn't that hard, at least at first. The hard part is getting bigger without getting fat, so make sure you're doing conditioning and not eating too much junk.
    Hope this helps.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post

Welp, thanks for ruining the whole thread with all this reasonable advice. We could have gone on for pages to finally get all of this but you hashed it out in one post.

So instead, I'll tell you how it took me years to come to all of these same conclusions. When I first went to college I was about 170lbs with a 29 inch waist at 5'11". I walked onto the Rugby team and they made me a Flanker but the coach told me I needed to gain some weight. So I started lifting, eating everything in sight, and drinking gallons of beer. By the time I graduated college I was 225lbs, was benching 505lbs and squatting the same.

Then I worked in various bouncing jobs, jails, prisons, and the street. I started having some bad shoulder pain and the Ortho ended up telling me to switch to less weight or I was going to need shoulder surgery. By this time I was 250lbs but looked like butterbean. So, I started watching inmates workout just because I was working the rec yard everyday so there wasn't much else going on. I checked the guys who were the biggest with the biggest arms to see what they were doing. None of them were on the weight pile. ALL of them were on the pullup and dip bar.

Fast forward about 10 years. I am about 215lbs. I can do 20 pullups which is up from about 3 when I started years ago. My arms are bigger than they have ever been. My waste smaller but chest, shoulders and back bigger. More than that though is I am healthy with minimal joint pain (other than my knee which I had surgery on after tearing my ACL and Meniscus stick fighting).

When I started reflecting on my journey I remembered back to the summer of my Freshman year in college. I was traveling all summer and couldn't get into a gym to lift. So I spent the summer doing pushups every other night. I did 4 sets of 25 pullups before I went to bed. When I showed back up to college all my friends thought I had been on steroids all summer. Wish I would have started pullups then and stuck with the calisthenics back then.

TL:DR: Do what WFMurphy said.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last