Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hamilton Mixtape Immigrants: We Get The Job Done

https://youtu.be/6_35a7sn6ds

If somebody wants to do an imbed, that'd be great.

I usually stay away from the political threads on BS. So much noise and very little substance in many cases, but this song and the accompanying video have sparked me, and I wanted to share. To many, my views are going to come across as radical, idealistic, or perhaps just stupid. I get it. Perhaps though, some will agree, and some might see a perspective they are not usually face to face with.

First, I don't believe in borders. This is my one holdout from my Libertarian days; the belief that a government, person, or organization can tell me where I am allowed to live and raise a family. I don't believe an imaginary line in the ground gets to bar me from taking myself or my family where we are safe. Or just happier, or well off for that matter. It's not consistent with free market ideas, or my own morals. No person is illegal. No amount of paperwork or luck of birth should keep one from trying to make the best life possible for themselves. If you have string enough reason to believe that you need to uproot yourself and move to another place, then that is strong enough reason for those already there to accept you.

Second, no one can "steal" or "take" a job from anyone. Jobs belong to whoever the employer gives them to, and are not reserved for any class of person, especially not simply for reason of the geographic region they sprang forth from their mother's nether regions. To believe otherwise is also incompatible with free markets, or capitalism.

Let's listen to the song, discuss these points, and then I'll post some more of my ideas on the subject.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What did I just embed?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    https://youtu.be/6_35a7sn6ds

If somebody wants to do an imbed, that'd be great.

I usually stay away from the political threads on BS. So much noise and very little substance in many cases, but this song and the accompanying video have sparked me, and I wanted to share. To many, my views are going to come across as radical, idealistic, or perhaps just stupid. I get it. Perhaps though, some will agree, and some might see a perspective they are not usually face to face with.

First, I don't believe in borders. This is my one holdout from my Libertarian days; the belief that a government, person, or organization can tell me where I am allowed to live and raise a family. I don't believe an imaginary line in the ground gets to bar me from taking myself or my family where we are safe. Or just happier, or well off for that matter. It's not consistent with free market ideas, or my own morals. No person is illegal. No amount of paperwork or luck of birth should keep one from trying to make the best life possible for themselves. If you have string enough reason to believe that you need to uproot yourself and move to another place, then that is strong enough reason for those already there to accept you.

Second, no one can "steal" or "take" a job from anyone. Jobs belong to whoever the employer gives them to, and are not reserved for any class of person, especially not simply for reason of the geographic region they sprang forth from their mother's nether regions. To believe otherwise is also incompatible with free markets, or capitalism.

Let's listen to the song, discuss these points, and then I'll post some more of my ideas on the subject.

I initially was surprised by all the talk of borders in US politics lately.

I tend to fall more in line with the idea that borders shouldn't be that important. Ideally, people would be able to travel all over the world living and working as long as they respect local laws and contribute something.

Did you know that the US is one of the only countries in the world that taxes its expatriates? And now foreign banks won't let Americans open new accounts because the reporting requirements to the US IRS have become so onerous.

In politics today, some say that a nation without borders is no nation at all. I say, a nation without borders is a super-nation. It's greater and grander than the old nation state. It is, at its best, a place where people from all over the world can share energy, hope, and aspiration, and come together in a way that is bigger than the tribal mindset.

The only constant in the universe is change. Any effort to preserve through stasis will ultimately not succeed.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I initially was surprised by all the talk of borders in US politics lately.

I tend to fall more in line with the idea that borders shouldn't be that important. Ideally, people would be able to travel all over the world living and working as long as they respect local laws and contribute something.

Did you know that the US is one of the only countries in the world that taxes its expatriates? And now foreign banks won't let Americans open new accounts because the reporting requirements to the US IRS have become so onerous.

In politics today, some say that a nation without borders is no nation at all. I say, a nation without borders is a super-nation. It's greater and grander than the old nation state. It is, at its best, a place where people from all over the world can share energy, hope, and aspiration, and come together in a way that is bigger than the tribal mindset.

The only constant in the universe is change. Any effort to preserve through stasis will ultimately not succeed.
    I think the idea of nations is headed the way of the Dodo. In order to move forward as a species, I think becoming a global society is inevitable.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the idea of nations is headed the way of the Dodo. In order to move forward as a species, I think becoming a global society is inevitable.
    That's almost explicitly what the political backlash in both the UK and the US was about. Lots of people identify with the idea of a particular nation state and when their concept of how that place qualitatively is becomes threatened, they themselves feel threatened enough to mobilize politically. In interview after interview following Brexit and in the US around the election, many people were really big on the idea of national identity and borders.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    That's almost explicitly what the political backlash in both the UK and the US was about. Lots of people identify with the idea of a particular nation state and when their concept of how that place qualitatively is becomes threatened, they themselves feel threatened enough to mobilize politically. In interview after interview following Brexit and in the US around the election, many people were really big on the idea of national identity and borders.
    They indeed are. I do acknowledge that the majority of people still need to identify with a certain tribe, and nations are a very convenient tribe to be a part of. We all went a reason to feel better than someone else. If we can't get that feeling from our own thoughts, accomplishments, or actions, the ego invents a group for us to be a part of and add its accomplishments to our own. In essence, I think that nationalism is just an extension of the same feeling that creates sports fanaticism.
    Last edited by Tramirezmma; 6/29/2017 7:36am at . Reason: Grammar

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post

What did I just embed?
    This song is fire, btw.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This country doesn't belong to those born here. It belongs to those who work, those who create, those who persevere and sweat. Most of us didn't struggle to get here. We didn't hike for miles, hide in trucks or shipping containers, or work for every inch closer to a better life in a new land we got. In my opinion, those actions represent what"America" is supposed to be far more than simply being born inside the border. What did YOU do to become American? No more or less than they did in many cases. So what makes you the judge, the arbiter of who is allowed the good life we have found?

People are running from war, hunger, poverty, and desperation. They come here, and people want to otherize them? Call them illegal? I call them human, and as a fellow human, no aspect of their experience is alien to me.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've saying for a lot of time the Westphalian system has become obsolete.

Style
    boxing, gjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In order to move forward as a species, I think becoming a global society is inevitable.
    That's working out oh so well for Europe, ain't it?
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last