Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

'No cell phone' rule in BJJ/MMA gyms?

at my "local" (40-45 min drive away) MMA/grappling/BJJ gym, they have a STRICT no cellphone rule. they all looked like they were about to jump me when i whipped out my phone to record my girl in action. does any other gym that u know of have this rule, and if so, why do they have it?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, ask them?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously you should ask why the rule exists at that particular gym.

Without speaking for them specifically, I can think of one or two valid reasons for the rule in general. First, cell phones can just serve as a distraction in general. If my training partner was habitually stopping in the middle of a randori session to take a call, I would be annoyed as ****.

Also, some people, for a myriad of different personal reasons, may not be comfortable with the possibility of being caught on camera and having pictures/video of themselves posted on the internet for the rest of the world to see.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some older cultures believe that a photo captures the soul and allows demons to fill the void left behind in the person.

Other groups in modern societies believe that cameras are an unjust set up, meant to unconstitutionally catch people in positions of authority behaving illegally or immorally, which is a violation of their rights granted by their positions of authority. If the BJJ gym has a large number of LEO or LEO Union board members it may fall under this category.

It is more than likely just a situation of you not asking first.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my gym we have the same rule but they are not super strict about it. I believe for us it is more because they had a lot of kids who were using their phones during instruction and it was generally distracting/annoying. During our noon classes when it is all adults people use their cell phones whenever they want and no one has ever seemed to care. I'd be interested to learn why they are so strict about it there.

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Obviously you should ask why the rule exists at that particular gym.

Without speaking for them specifically, I can think of one or two valid reasons for the rule in general. First, cell phones can just serve as a distraction in general. If my training partner was habitually stopping in the middle of a randori session to take a call, I would be annoyed as ****.

Also, some people, for a myriad of different personal reasons, may not be comfortable with the possibility of being caught on camera and having pictures/video of themselves posted on the internet for the rest of the world to see.
    yep, it was exactly the second reason. i asked them if it was ok even if the fighters/grapplers consented and they said no...

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes you gotta ask if your teacher is good enough to justify their eccentricities. If the answer is yes, you put up with their rules.

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Sometimes you gotta ask if your teacher is good enough to justify their eccentricities. If the answer is yes, you put up with their rules.
    True dat. the teacher wasnt even "mine" but im hoping to join if I have enough time. my gf seems to be enjoying it so far. it's only been 1 month or so since she started and she loves it

Style
    Kendo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think this is an odd or unreasonable rule. Most of my teachers have no desire to have public footage of them lurking around the internet.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't even train there?
    It's a potential distraction to your SO and other folks.
    You should probably just let her train and focus instead of lurking around in the first place.

Go eat ice cream or something perhaps.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last