Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Yeah. The optics and weapon system helped him make the shot but he needed to be competent to be able to use them both correctly. So in this case he's extremely competent with some extremely effective kit.
    This!

Every aspect of their gear, from individual rifle components, to optics, to the bullets they use, are meticulously selected and prepared. Comparing their equipment to the rifle and box of ammo off of the rack at the sporting goods store would be the equivalent of comparing a Chevrolet Monte Carlo on the lot at the local dealership to the one that Dale Earnhardt drove on the NASCAR circuit.

That doesn't minimize the skills it takes for a team to pull off a shot like that. It does take someone with a serious set of trained skills, but that person can only be as effective as their equipment will allow. Advertised MOA for most off the shelf, commercially made rifles, seem to be right at 1". That would be too much deviation in point of impact at "sniper distances" for any shooter to produce consistent accuracy. To keep with the racecar analogy, the best Formula 1 driver in the world will never be able to win the Indy 500 with a Dodge Hellcat.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Truly god-like amounts of math and luck went into this.
    I never stopped to think about it until I read this...I wonder how much luck was involved. I wonder if the team could duplicate this shot.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    I never stopped to think about it until I read this...I wonder how much luck was involved. I wonder if the team could duplicate this shot.
    The bullet took ten seconds to get to the target. Think about how far you can move in ten seconds. The team straight up admitted "yeah this probably isn't going to happen again."

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bullet took ten seconds to get to the target. Think about how far you can move in ten seconds. The team straight up admitted "yeah this probably isn't going to happen again."
    Even if you take the live target out of the equation, I wonder how successfully they could reproduce this on a static range.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    From the article it sounds like they had people there at target too.
    Maybe more of a team effort than usual. 2 miles is really fucking with my head. You can't make that shot from 0 elevation can you? Everything have I shot was under well under 100 meters... like mainly 50-75 yards.
    I wonder how long they had that shot set up?
    Did the duo see the building and the clear line of site to a possible hot spot and drool over the chance for weeks?
    Or was it on the fly?

Either way I bet #BaconClownShoes#ISIS are having a much harder time wrapping their heads around it.
    You know those particular individuals got that video hand delivered to them just for the psyops value.
    It wouldn't have been on the fly, as in a snap shot, they would have had to invest some time into it. It would have almost certainly been a static target, as in he would have been sitting or standing still in a predictable spot, say in a vehicle or on sentry. A lot of long range sniper kills tend to be against semi-static enemies like gunners or people fucking about with IEDs.

It might have taken a few shots to zero in first as well, shots of that distance are rarely done off the bat like in the movies. If this one was a one shot then it is truly legendary.

I'm interested to know about the videoing, if they had someone reccying it or if it was a drone. They went to a lot of effort to peg this guy. I'd like to know more if it ever becomes available.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    It wouldn't have been on the fly, as in a snap shot, they would have had to invest some time into it. It would have almost certainly been a static target, as in he would have been sitting or standing still in a predictable spot, say in a vehicle or on sentry. A lot of long range sniper kills tend to be against semi-static enemies like gunners or people fucking about with IEDs.

It might have taken a few shots to zero in first as well, shots of that distance are rarely done off the bat like in the movies. If this one was a one shot then it is truly legendary.

I'm interested to know about the videoing, if they had someone reccying it or if it was a drone. They went to a lot of effort to peg this guy. I'd like to know more if it ever becomes available.
    "nonono ... wait. Wait till he is comfy and settled in and looking down the sights"

or yeah they could have been steady lobbing ordinance at a mortar, artillery or mounted machine gun to **** it up. I have seen what those fancy explosive rounds do.

and of course Jerry has shot a few rounds of it.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2.14 miles is a long damn distance. Do any of the articles on this mention how many shots it took to walk the Canuck in on target?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    2.14 miles is a long damn distance. Do any of the articles on this mention how many shots it took to walk the Canuck in on target?
    The last greatest long shot from memory was against a taliban machine gun crew. 3 kills and a shot on the weapon to screw it up. That was at an achievable range with equipment and skill available.

Now, what im curious about is if this kill was a static target which in all probability was. Wouldnt the guy hear rounding dropping near him due the zeroing/adjusting shots? Also would like to know what glass they were using and if there was enough clicks in the dial.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Three if my random internet source is to be believed.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    The last greatest long shot from memory was against a taliban machine gun crew. 3 kills and a shot on the weapon to screw it up. That was at an achievable range with equipment and skill available.

Now, what im curious about is if this kill was a static target which in all probability was. Wouldnt the guy hear rounding dropping near him due the zeroing/adjusting shots? Also would like to know what glass they were using and if there was enough clicks in the dial.
    It was probably done during a contact so rounds falling around the target wouldn't have aroused too much suspicion. That's how the previous record holder did it, he zeroed in on the gunners seating position so only needed a slight adjustment to get two kills plus hitting the weapon so rapidly (I thought it was two but it could have been three, I can't remember).

Obviously rounds falling from a .50 would be savage as **** but the theory works.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last