Page 3 of 3 First 123

Style
    BJJ, Muaythai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you guys so much! I feel a lot better now. You made some good points and I think it was a good thing to talk to you. I think talking to my instructor is a good idea. I will ask for a private meeting. And I will mention the self defence part, my instructor advertises BJJ as something that is good for woman and self defense, so he should understand the whole thing.
    If not - there is another nice gym here. This one focuses a little more on competition and does MMA too - but they also have a BJJ class and no GI grappling. So it is an option.
    Realising that I can just quit there and find another place to train feels good. So thank you for listening and helping me think about all of this!

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I'm here to teach people how to fight back, not meekly let other people hit them because of social factors of any kind.

This is a great point.

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've experienced a few different BJJ rites of passage, both in a gauntlet form. When I got my Blue belt it was belt whipping, but the whole thing was pretty good natured and friendly. I've seen some that get completely out of hand, it really depends on the vibe of the club. For my Purple belt I had to go down the line and get thrown by everyone. That wasn't too bad either, but once again I was at a pretty chill and friendly club, so no one took it real seriously. In both instances I could have skipped it had I wanted to, forcing you to do something like that isn't cool.

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously someone shouldn't be made to do anything against their will, or be made to feel uncomfortable(in a personal way) in their martial arts academy at all, period. This is obviously something to bring up initially if it's of concern to you, and I doubt and credible professor would condone something that would harm or put off future students.

I've been through the military pinning ceremonies before, and have also witnesses other forms of hazing that was stupid and out of hand. Having said that I'm glad I went through a couple of them, and participated in the same stupid fraternal traditions that grandfather did.

Before I joined my BJJ academy I had seen some gauntlet vids by the friends that persuaded me to join, and initially felt a bit disappointed that I didn't get it after my blue...until a couple minutes later where those of us that wanted it secretly went to the back room for it. I trust everyone I train with, we're family, they're not sadistic egomaniacs, and it was a pleasure to go through the ritual. We do other things in hard training sessions similar to what's been said as well, but I don't mind that tradition. That's just me. Call me an idiot, but I don't mind the martial methods to some madness if they're reasonable. There's a few out of hand vids that's done the rounds on bjj interwebs, so I think the general concensus disapproves brutal and out of hand hazing.

I'm not trying to justify its use, or pursuade anyone to go through with it, and don't like the fact these things would make someone nervous, or turn them away from BJJ, but don't think the few that have affinity for the fraternal rites should be scorned either.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post

it was a pleasure to go through the ritual.
    I don't know, no disrespect, but it sounds like someone just enjoys being whipped.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know, no disrespect, but it sounds like someone just enjoys being whipped.

As if good, hard, training over an extended period of time isn't enough of a "rite of passage".

I find it rather funny that an American (as in USAian) came up with the idea and it spread to Brazil...

Here's a REAL Brazilian rite of passage.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speak of...him... where is Devil anway? I want to hear his opinion on this topic.

Oh here he comes...tee me up, would you Murph?

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fair play professor. I don't know if I disrupted the forces that be with that post for the better or not, but coincidently we just had a grading today, and to my utter surprise got my purple!! Still kind of buzzing, but...

Yea our instructor said, "We used to beat the crap out of you for belts, but now we just make you give a speech." Except afterwards a few of us went to the back room again for the gauntlet, and I've been reassured that I stand by my statement, and yes I love that ****!

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    Fair play professor. I don't know if I disrupted the forces that be with that post for the better or not, but coincidently we just had a grading today, and to my utter surprise got my purple!! Still kind of buzzing, but...

Yea our instructor said, "We used to beat the crap out of you for belts, but now we just make you give a speech." Except afterwards a few of us went to the back room again for the gauntlet, and I've been reassured that I stand by my statement, and yes I love that ****!
    Congratulations on your purple belt, sir!

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations on your purple belt, sir!
    Thanks you sir, much appreciated!

Page 3 of 3 First 123