Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3
    Style
    BJJ, Muaythai
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    BJJ Belt Whipping

    Hey
    I'm new here, and because I don't know who to talk to - I try talking to you about this.

    Thing ist, I'm in love with BJJ. Started it 6 months ago - and it is the one thing that makes my head quiet. It bringt me a lot of fun, peace and is already really important to me.

    Well, thing is, I just realised the group I train with dies the belt whipping thing at promotions.

    So, I'm a girl. I lieved in an abussive realtionship for years and the guy bet the **** out of me with his belt. He also raped me at the end of the realtionship. I tell you this, because it happened. It's just a part of my life now.

    So, you might understand why the belt whipping thing is just something I will never do. Why? Well, the gym is the one place wehere I feel safe, happy and it is a place that is free of bad memorys. my head is peaceful an quiet there. And I know that the belt whipping thing will remind me of what happened to me and I don't want to carry that into the gym.

    Heres the other thing. I did Krav Maga before. And one day something came up and I had to tell people about my past. And things never were the same again. They never looked at me the same again, they were more gentle with me and I started to feel like the poor girl that people have to handle with so much care. o I left the gym. I don't want people to treat me funny because of hat happened to me. So i kind of don't want to tell them why the belt whipping is something I don't ant to do.

    So, will you please explain to me why you did it? How you feel about it?
    Because I'm a little lost here. I love BJJ. I suck at it - and the blue belt is far away right now - but I don't want to stop doing it because I enjoy it so much. So maybe if there is someone outthere who wants to talk to me about it - please do.

    And sorry about my english, it is not my mothertongue.

    Have a nice evenning!

  2. #2
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,830
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido Walda.

    Thread approved, wrong forum, Gen BS ---------> YMAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    931
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    9
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think belt whipping is stupid and childish. It's more frat house behavior than gym behavior.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Personally I think belt whipping is stupid and childish. It's more frat house behavior than gym behavior.
    Belt whipping is rare...right? I say that because as far I know, it's something only a handful of gyms do, or would admit to doing. I have personally witnessed some seriously cruel hazing, and I don't use that term lightly.

    If you're gonna do a gauntlet of some type for a promotion...shouldn't it be martial arts related (i.e. endurance rounds or something), and not hazing? I think Omega's school does a gauntlet like that...I'm sure I read that.

    I mean, why not just make them take shots of Bacardi 151 for every belt whip, so that by the time they're through, they also have alcohol poisoning along with contusions from being belt-whipped.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 6/21/2017 3:14pm at .

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Walda View Post
    Hey
    I'm new here, and because I don't know who to talk to - I try talking to you about this.

    Thing ist, I'm in love with BJJ. Started it 6 months ago - and it is the one thing that makes my head quiet. It bringt me a lot of fun, peace and is already really important to me.

    Well, thing is, I just realised the group I train with dies the belt whipping thing at promotions.

    So, I'm a girl. I lieved in an abussive realtionship for years and the guy bet the **** out of me with his belt. He also raped me at the end of the realtionship. I tell you this, because it happened. It's just a part of my life now.

    So, you might understand why the belt whipping thing is just something I will never do. Why? Well, the gym is the one place wehere I feel safe, happy and it is a place that is free of bad memorys. my head is peaceful an quiet there. And I know that the belt whipping thing will remind me of what happened to me and I don't want to carry that into the gym.

    Heres the other thing. I did Krav Maga before. And one day something came up and I had to tell people about my past. And things never were the same again. They never looked at me the same again, they were more gentle with me and I started to feel like the poor girl that people have to handle with so much care. o I left the gym. I don't want people to treat me funny because of hat happened to me. So i kind of don't want to tell them why the belt whipping is something I don't ant to do.

    So, will you please explain to me why you did it? How you feel about it?
    Because I'm a little lost here. I love BJJ. I suck at it - and the blue belt is far away right now - but I don't want to stop doing it because I enjoy it so much. So maybe if there is someone outthere who wants to talk to me about it - please do.

    And sorry about my english, it is not my mothertongue.

    Have a nice evenning!
    Hi.

    I'm going to be simple about this: If you tell the school you don't want to undergo this "ritual" and they give you a hard time....**** them, go find a new gym. Your body is YOUR body.

    Zero tolerance for abuse is zero tolerance for abuse, no matter how funny, interesting, cute, or "tough" instructors might think it is...BJ is right, it's run-of-the-mill locker room hazing bullshit.

    There have got to be thousands of gyms out there that don't whip people during promotions.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,179
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    8
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Walda View Post
    Hey
    I'm new here, and because I don't know who to talk to - I try talking to you about this.

    Thing ist, I'm in love with BJJ. Started it 6 months ago - and it is the one thing that makes my head quiet. It bringt me a lot of fun, peace and is already really important to me.

    Well, thing is, I just realised the group I train with dies the belt whipping thing at promotions.

    So, I'm a girl. I lieved in an abussive realtionship for years and the guy bet the **** out of me with his belt. He also raped me at the end of the realtionship. I tell you this, because it happened. It's just a part of my life now.

    So, you might understand why the belt whipping thing is just something I will never do. Why? Well, the gym is the one place wehere I feel safe, happy and it is a place that is free of bad memorys. my head is peaceful an quiet there. And I know that the belt whipping thing will remind me of what happened to me and I don't want to carry that into the gym.

    Heres the other thing. I did Krav Maga before. And one day something came up and I had to tell people about my past. And things never were the same again. They never looked at me the same again, they were more gentle with me and I started to feel like the poor girl that people have to handle with so much care. o I left the gym. I don't want people to treat me funny because of hat happened to me. So i kind of don't want to tell them why the belt whipping is something I don't ant to do.

    So, will you please explain to me why you did it? How you feel about it?
    Because I'm a little lost here. I love BJJ. I suck at it - and the blue belt is far away right now - but I don't want to stop doing it because I enjoy it so much. So maybe if there is someone outthere who wants to talk to me about it - please do.

    And sorry about my english, it is not my mothertongue.

    Have a nice evenning!
    An American named Prof Chris Haueter came up with the tradition shortly after his military service.
    It became popular in the US in BJJ academies, and was quickly exported back to Brazil, where it also became popular, and then elsewhere in the world to BJJ academies.
    It is a stupid practice, and there have been some incidents of eye damage, testicle damage, infections (many people have the dangerous from an infectious disease standpoint of not washing their belts).
    The person who started the practice, Prof Chris no longer does it anymore, and is now critical of it.
    I encourage the black belts under me not to allow the practice, and I never participate in it.
    MMA fighting, sports competitions, and live sparring should be ordeal enough.
    My advice is, politely tell your instructor that you are opting out of the belt whipping, when the time comes, no details necessary, and if the instructor is not mature enough to handle that, then find an instructor who is a grown up and a professional.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3
    Style
    BJJ, Muaythai
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was rare actually. Before starting BJJ I read a little on the internet about it, some articles and stuff. I fount a small group to train with, this group is affiliated with a bigger gym. In my group nobody mentioned it before - but the head coach of the actual gym posted about promotions a couple of days ago. An he mentioned the whipping and some guys talked about being sore from it.
    I don't get why they do it in the first place. And honestly, I have no problem with pain - when it is related to fighting. i do Muaythai too and I come home with bruises sometimes. happens. Don't have a problem with fighting men either.
    But just letting them hit me for no reason? I Don't get it.

    PS And thank you for your answers. Sorry again for the bad english.
    Last edited by Walda; 6/21/2017 3:17pm at .

  8. #8
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,540
    Style
    Jits
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, welcome to Bullshido.

    I'm not against running the gauntlet - been there- as long as it doesn't goes out of hand.

  9. #9
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,684
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    8
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just inform the lead instructor that your past experiences would cause such a ritual to be emotionally traumatic. If that is not immediately understandable, train somewhere else.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

  10. #10
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,782
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    9
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's puerile, and undignified.

    Doing 1 minute rounds with everybody in the class, no problem. Belt whipping gauntlet is just plain silly.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in