Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last
  1. #1
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Philando Castile Shooting Verdict

    I am posting this because it brings up interesting questions about how to handle yourself if you are carrying a concealed (or otherwise) handgun, and have a encounter with the police.

    The officer was found not guilty of manslaughter and a couple of other charges, but was released/fired from the agency.

    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/us/phi...cam/index.html

    I haven't watched the video, as I am not really up for debating the "righteousness" of the shooting.

    So, whenever I get pulled over by the police (driving), whether I'm carrying a firearm or not:
    1.) If it's night-time, I turn off the motor, I reach up with one hand and turn on the interior lights. My other hand is on the steering wheel. After the light is on, I put that hand back on the wheel. I do not look for my registration, pull out my wallet, etc.
    2.) I don't roll down the window if it's up. Basically, I don't' make any furtive looking movements.
    3.) I wait for the officer/deputy/agent to give me instructions (roll down the window, for example).
    4.) When/if they ask for ID, etc., I tell them where it is, and ask if it's OK to reach. I also will tell them if I am carrying a knife or firearm, and where it, they are located before I reach for anything.
    5.) I don't argue with cops about tickets (haven't gotten one in decades, though). I have been pulled over by the USBP, though, since I moved up here.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #2
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When do you tell them that you pay their salary and to take that bass out of their voice when they are talking to you?

  3. #3
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    When do you tell them that you pay their salary and to take that bass out of their voice when they are talking to you?
    I've only had a couple of Canadian Border Protection cops pull that one on me. I just do what they want...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember watching this video and I came to a simple conclusion. NEVER tell a cop you have a gun in the car, unless they ask.

    There are other videos of people legally carrying who tell cops they're carrying, and it varies. Some cops are cool, some cops lose their motherfucking minds (like this cop). Race appears to be a factor in some cases, but in general, I no longer see the need to inform a police officer during a stop that you have ANYTHING in the car, until such time as they start questioning.

    Even then, know your rights...cops generally DO NOT have any right to know what you have in the car, if it's being legally carried. Let them find it on their own, and then when you're able to produce legal documentation, do so.

    This is always your right....what's in my car is my own business, until such time as a law enforcement officer decides to start intruding into my business. And even at that stage, the cop has no right to do **** until they suspect a crime is in progress, at which point I better comply. But your first and most important right is to remain silent.

    If police start to search your vehicle, and you have a licensed weapon in the car legally..inform them only after they begin a search. They don't need to know **** beforehand, because who knows what kind of cop you've drawn from the lottery.

    Otherwise, all it takes is the unlucky draw of one anxiety-ridden ****-for-brains like this cop to pull his service weapon, shoot you dead for no reason, and then be cleared of all charges because he was scared.

    The road to hell is paved with good intentions, like informing a road cop that you have a gun on you. I'm guessing that 99% of the time, they simply don't need to know.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 6/20/2017 6:28pm at .

  5. #5
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,535
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, whenever I get pulled over by the police (driving), whether I'm carrying a firearm or not:
    1.) If it's night-time, I turn off the motor, I reach up with one hand and turn on the interior lights. My other hand is on the steering wheel. After the light is on, I put that hand back on the wheel. I do not look for my registration, pull out my wallet, etc.
    2.) I don't roll down the window if it's up. Basically, I don't' make any furtive looking movements.
    3.) I wait for the officer/deputy/agent to give me instructions (roll down the window, for example).
    4.) When/if they ask for ID, etc., I tell them where it is, and ask if it's OK to reach. I also will tell them if I am carrying a knife or firearm, and where it, they are located before I reach for anything.
    5.) I don't argue with cops about tickets (haven't gotten one in decades, though). I have been pulled over by the USBP, though, since I moved up here.
    1) That is one I had not thought of nor taught. I am sure they appreciate that.
    2) Rolling down your window looks a whole lot like reaching for a weapon.
    3) Yep. The police do not like it when you try to "help". Just chill the officer will let you know what to do.
    4) Don't make the officer ask for or find a weapon on their own. They do not like that.
    5) Your day in court is when to argue your case.

    They really should teach this stuff (and taxes) in high school.

    Your life is literally in the hands of the LEO you are interacting with and some, I assume, are good people. So why take chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    I did not grow up poor and I have never had my rights violated by the police
    Oh yeah I can tell.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/20/2017 6:37pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  6. #6
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't tell cops I am carrying. I would hand them my concealed carry permit with my license.

    "I've got a GUN!" Is much different than, "Here's my concealed carry permit."

    As far as a traffic stop unless it's raining I roll all my windows down. And have my license ready for them when they come up to the window. I don't get my registration until asked.

  7. #7
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    1) That is one I had not thought of nor taught. I am sure they appreciate that.
    2) Rolling down your window looks a whole lot like reaching for a weapon.
    3) Yep. The police do not like it when you try to "help". Just chill the officer will let you know what to do.
    4) Don't make the officer ask for or find a weapon on their own. They do not like that.
    5) Your day in court is when to argue your case.

    They really should teach this stuff (and taxes) in high school.

    Your life is literally in the hands of the LEO you are interacting with and some, I assume, are good people. So why take chances?



    Oh yeah I can tell.
    Who the **** still has non-power windows? Pushing a button doesn't take much.

  8. #8
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    I remember watching this video and I came to a simple conclusion. NEVER tell a cop you have a gun in the car, unless they ask.

    There are other videos of people legally carrying who tell cops they're carrying, and it varies. Some cops are cool, some cops lose their motherfucking minds (like this cop). Race appears to be a factor in some cases, but in general, I no longer see the need to inform a police officer during a stop that you have ANYTHING in the car, until such time as they start questioning.

    Even then, know your rights...cops generally DO NOT have any right to know what you have in the car, if it's being legally carried. Let them find it on their own, and then when you're able to produce legal documentation, do so.

    This is always your right....what's in my car is my own business, until such time as a law enforcement officer decides to start intruding into my business. And even at that stage, the cop has no right to do **** until they suspect a crime is in progress, at which point I better comply. But your first and most important right is to remain silent.

    If police start to search your vehicle, and you have a licensed weapon in the car legally..inform them only after they begin a search. They don't need to know **** beforehand, because who knows what kind of cop you've drawn from the lottery.

    Otherwise, all it takes is the unlucky draw of one anxiety-ridden ****-for-brains like this cop to pull his service weapon, shoot you dead for no reason, and then be cleared of all charges because he was scared.

    The road to hell is paved with good intentions, like informing a road cop that you have a gun on you. I'm guessing that 99% of the time, they simply don't need to know.
    You need to check your individual state statutes. Below is presented as guidance for further research.
    https://www.usacarry.com/duty-to-inform-laws/
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #9
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Who the **** still has non-power windows? Pushing a button doesn't take much.
    1981 Toyota 4WD Truck in the driveway...still runs and is street legal.

    I'd be more likely to roll the window down during daylight hours...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I wouldn't tell cops I am carrying. I would hand them my concealed carry permit with my license.

    "I've got a GUN!" Is much different than, "Here's my concealed carry permit."

    As far as a traffic stop unless it's raining I roll all my windows down. And have my license ready for them when they come up to the window. I don't get my registration until asked.
    After this incident, I'm just of the opinion the safest time to inform a cop that I have a weapon is when they ask, AFTER I've handed them my license/permit, and AFTER the cop appears to be in control of the situation.

    99/100 times you're gonna get pulled over, the cop will do their thing, and let you go nary the wiser that you were packing a hand cannon.

    Cops are trained to go to work the moment they know somebody is armed....but unless they decide you're worthy of a search, your rights are pretty standard (per USSC): You don't need to cooperate with ANY search. In fact other than obeying commands, you don't even have to speak to an officer pulling you over.

    That's the part of this incident we didn't see on video...how exactly that played out. I think the jury gave the officer the benefit of the doubt that however it occurred, it was sudden and jarring and caused him to panic.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in